Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count lines and words of a stream output with tail Post 302864217 by Kibou on Wednesday 16th of October 2013 06:27:16 AM
Old 10-16-2013
Count lines and words of a stream output with tail

Hello,

I need to tail -f a file output stream and I need to get only lines that contains "get" and "point" in the same line. It doesn't matter the order.

Then I need only the text BEFORE "point".

I have to count each line and perform other serveral actions after this has performed 3 times.

I have done something like this. But I don't know how to go on.
I am currently learning about AWK. I don't know if there's a straight forward way to do this with AWK. It would be nicer to avoid "grep".

Code:
tail -f file | grep --line-buffered "get.*point\|point.*get" | awk 'BEGIN {FS="point"} {print $1}'

The tail -f output would be something like this:

Code:
Hello world. This is my point.
How to get your point?
I would like to get a point. Do you?
I do not know how to get my point.

And after processing it, it should do something to get the lines with "get" and "point". It would see something like this:

Code:
How to get your point?
I would like to get a point. Do you?
I do not know how to get my point.

Next step is extracting everything before "point":

Code:
How to get your
I would like to get a 
I do not know how to get my

Count words in each line:

Code:

And quit when this is performed 3 times. So it will quit tail -f right now because it has perform it three times.

I am getting very frustrated.. Thanks a lot for any idea you can give..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stream output??

Hi all, I've a structure let's say typdef struct a { int a; int b; char* string} b; I need to make the function smth like readdir(), returning everytime it's called pointer to the next structure. Let's say functions would read the next file in the directory and all the permitions put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solvman
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can I use the stream output in other program

Hello I wander if im doing : ls -l and its giving me lets say 3 results : -rw-r--r-- 1 blah other 1789 May 19 2003 foo.c -rw-r--r-- 1 blah other 1014 May 19 2003 foo.h -rw-r--r-- 1 blah other 270 May 19 2003 foo1.c now I would like to use the first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk help needed in trying to count lines,words and characters

Hello, i am trying to write a script file in awk which yields me the number of lines,characters and words, i checked it many many times but i am not able to find any mistake in it. Please tell me where i went wrong. BEGIN{ print "Filename Lines Words Chars\n" } { filename=filename + 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the no of lines between two words

Please help in the following problem: Input is: Pritam 123 456 Patil myname youname Pritam myproject thisproject iclic Patil remaining text some more text I need the command which will display the no of lines between two words in the whole file. e.g. Display all the no of lines... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zsudarshan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find out words, replace them and count words

hello, i 'd like your help about a bash script which: 1. finds inside the html file (it is attached with my post) the code number of the Latest Stable Kernel, 2.finds the link which leads to the download location of the Latest Stable Kernel version, (the right link should lead to the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex83
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting help to identify words count in lines

Hi everybody, i have this biological situation to fix: > Id.1 ACGTACANNNNNNNNNNNACGTGCNNNNNNNACTGTGGT >Id.2 ACGGGT >Id.3 ACGTNNNNNNNNNNNNACTGGGGG >Id.4 ACGTGCGNNNNNNNNGGTCANNNNNNNNCGTGCAAANNNNN ........ .... These are nucleotidic sequences with some "NNNN..." always of the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giorgio C
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines from a stream after matching a pattern

Hi, I have a requirement to to an ldapsearch and remove the shadow attributes in the output file. What I do is ldapsearch() | operation to remove shadow > FILE The ldapsearch gives output like this(with same line formation): objectClass: FSConfig objectClass: extensibleObject fsCAIP:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorzinian
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count the lines with the same values in a column and write the output to a file

Hey everyone! I have a tab delimited data set which I want to create an output contained the calculation of number of those lines with a certain value in 2nd and 3rd column. my input file is like this: ID1 1 10M AAATTTCCGG ID2 5 4M ACGT ID3 5 8M ACCTTGGA ID4 5 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How count the number of two words associated with the two words occurring in the file?

Hi , I need to count the number of errors associated with the two words occurring in the file. It's about counting the occurrences of the word "error" for where is the word "index.js". As such the command should look like. Please kindly help. I was trying: grep "error" log.txt | wc -l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmarx
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count words/lines between two tags using awk

Is there an efficient awk that can count the number of lines that occur in between two tags. For instance, consider the following text: <s> Hi PP - my VBD - name DT - is NN - . SENT . </s> <s> Her PP - name VBD - is DT - the NN - same WRT - . SENT - </s> I am interested to know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
4 Replies
tail(1) 							   User Commands							   tail(1)

NAME
tail - deliver the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/tail [+-s number [lbcr]] [file] /usr/bin/tail [-lbcr] [file] /usr/bin/tail [+- number [lbcf]] [file] /usr/bin/tail [-lbcf] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [-f | -r] [-c number | -n number] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [+- number [l | b | c] [f]] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [+- number [l] [f | r]] [file] DESCRIPTION
The tail utility copies the named file to the standard output beginning at a designated place. If no file is named, the standard input is used. Copying begins at a point in the file indicated by the -cnumber, -nnumber, or +-number options (if +number is specified, begins at distance number from the beginning; if -number is specified, from the end of the input; if number is NULL, the value 10 is assumed). number is counted in units of lines or byte according to the -c or -n options, or lines, blocks, or bytes, according to the appended option l, b, or c. When no units are specified, counting is by lines. OPTIONS
The following options are supported for both /usr/bin/tail and /usr/xpg4/bin/tail. The -r and -f options are mutually exclusive. If both are specified on the command line, the -f option is ignored. -b Units of blocks. -c Units of bytes. -f Follow. If the input-file is not a pipe, the program does not terminate after the line of the input-file has been copied, but enters an endless loop, wherein it sleeps for a second and then attempts to read and copy further records from the input-file. Thus it can be used to monitor the growth of a file that is being written by some other process. -l Units of lines. -r Reverse. Copies lines from the specified starting point in the file in reverse order. The default for r is to print the entire file in reverse order. /usr/xpg4/bin/tail The following options are supported for /usr/xpg4/bin/tail only: -c number The number option-argument must be a decimal integer whose sign affects the location in the file, measured in bytes, to begin the copying: + Copying starts relative to the beginning of the file. - Copying starts relative to the end of the file. none Copying starts relative to the end of the file. The origin for counting is 1; that is, -c+1 represents the first byte of the file, -c-1 the last. -n number Equivalent to -cnumber, except the starting location in the file is measured in lines instead of bytes. The origin for count- ing is 1. That is, -n+1 represents the first line of the file, -n-1 the last. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of tail when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using the tail Command The following command prints the last ten lines of the file fred, followed by any lines that are appended to fred between the time tail is initiated and killed. example% tail -f fred The next command prints the last 15 bytes of the file fred, followed by any lines that are appended to fred between the time tail is initi- ated and killed: example% tail -15cf fred ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of tail: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/tail +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/tail +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cat(1), head(1), more(1), pg(1), dd(1M), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) NOTES
Piped tails relative to the end of the file are stored in a buffer, and thus are limited in length. Various kinds of anomalous behavior can happen with character special files. SunOS 5.11 13 Jul 2005 tail(1)