Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Display header in script output Post 302864049 by Decoy Octopus88 on Tuesday 15th of October 2013 06:27:38 PM
Old 10-15-2013
The script name is highest
The first required parameter is "filename" and the filename here is "albums". If no "filename" is provided a message is displayed.
The second parameter is an optional number [how many] meaning how many albums/artist do you want to display (default of 10).
There is also a requirement that if the user uses the -h option, it would create a header "ALBUMS ARTIST" + newline, and if the -h is not used as an option, then no header or new line would exist, but the rest of the script will run. If the user enters a different option such as -a, an invalid option message is displayed. My file "albums" is above, but here is the entire script and also the output with the messages. Note when i run the script without the -h it runs great, minus the header. When run it with -h, i have problems. Thanks again.

script (highest)
Code:
while getopts ":h" opt; do
  case $opt in
    h)
      print -n "ALBUMS ARTIST\n" >&2
      ;;
    \?)
      echo "Invalid option: -$OPTARG" >&2
      ;;
  esac
done

filename=$1
filename=${filename:?"Filename Missing, include the filename after the \"highest\" script as an arguement."}
howmany=$2
sort -nr "$filename" | head -${howmany:=10}

output
Code:
$ highest albums 9
22 Tom Petty
20 Led Zeppelin
18 Stone Temple Pilots
17 Rolling Stones
16 Aerosmith
12 Black Crowes
10 Nirvana
8 Van Halen
5 ACDC
$ 
$ 
$ 
$ 
$ highest -h albums 9
ALBUMS ARTIST
sort: options '-hn' are incompatible
head: invalid option -- 'a'
Try 'head --help' for more information.
$

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting the column header in the output !

i have a script that access the database and then returns some row. but in the command prompt it it not showing the column header. how to get that ? below the script: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ #!/bin/ksh .... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need SQL output without the header.

Hi, In a script i am trying to run a SQL by connecting Sybase DB. While executing the script I am getting the output with the header. means: Employee_Name--------------------------- Anup Das I need the Output: Anup Das Kindly advice. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ksh script to display output with specific contents

This is Input - starts with Storage Group Name and ends with Shareable and the loop continues all I need is Storage group name and Alu numbers in the below output format requested. Storage Group Name: abcd Storage Group UID: 00:00:000:00:0:0:0 HBA/SP Pairs: HBA UID ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddysa
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect an output from a script to a file and display it at a console simultaneously

Hi, I'd like to redirect the STDOUT output from my script to a file and simultaneously display it at a console. I've tried this command: myscript.sh | tail -f However, it doesn't end after the script finishes running I've also tried this: myscript.sh | tee ~/results.txt But it writes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulate all rows except header, but header should be output as well

Hello There... I have a sample input file .. number:department:amount 125:Market:125.23 126:Hardware store:434.95 127:Video store:7.45 128:Book store:14.32 129:Gasolline:16.10 I will be doing some manipulations on all the records except the header, but the header should always be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juzz4fun
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display the header of a matched row in a file?

Hi, So I am trying to print the first row(header) first column alongwith the matched value. But I am not sure how do I print the same, by matching a pattern located in the file eg File contents Name Place Jim NY Jill NJ Cathy CA Sam TX Daniel FL And what I want is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Graphical Display Of Script Execution & Output

Hello All i have a KSH script which basically takes attribute name as input argument and searches whole Netezza appliance and prints information of where that column is used (Table/Views) etc. Problem with this approach business users have to raise SUDO access request, Install Putty, run through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Does anyone have a trick to run sdiff to display the filenames as a header?

Hi, Does anyone know if there is anyway to run sdiff such that it shows the name of the files as it display the results of the differences? That is, I want it to show the filenames on each column and then display the differences I can't find any option that allows this. Maybe someone has a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to retain header lines in output

The awk below executes and produces the current output, which is correct, except I can not seem to include the header lines # and ## in the output as well. I tried adding !/^#/ thinking that it would skip the lines with # and output them but the entire file prints as is. Thank you :). file ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies
SIEVESHELL(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     SIEVESHELL(1)

NAME
sieveshell - remotely manipulate sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
sieveshell [--user=user] [--authname=authname] [--realm=realm] [--exec=script] server[:port] sieveshell --help DESCRIPTION
sieveshell allows users to manipulate their scripts on a remote server. It works via MANAGESIEVE, a work in progress. The following commands are recognized: list list scripts on server. put <filename> upload script to server. get <name> [<filename>] get script. if no filename display to stdout delete <name> delete script. activate <name> activate script. deactivate deactivate all scripts. OPTIONS
-u user, --user=user The authorization name to request; by default, derived from the authentication credentials. -a authname, --authname=authname The user to use for authentication (defaults to current user). -r realm, --realm=realm The realm to attempt authentication in. -e script, --exec=script Instead of working interactively, run commands from script, and exit when done. REFERENCES
[MANAGESIEVE] Martin, T.; "A Protocol for Remotely Managing Sieve Scripts", draft-ietf-managesieve-03.txt, Mirapoint, Inc.; May 2001, work in progress. AUTHOR
Tim Martin <tmartin@mirapoint.com>, and the rest of the Cyrus team <cyrus-bugs@andrew.cmu.edu>. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-10 SIEVESHELL(1)