Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File Manipulation - UNIX script Post 302863999 by jakSun8 on Tuesday 15th of October 2013 02:56:18 PM
Old 10-15-2013
Thanks for the prompt help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Novice - File Manipulation

Hi, I am brand new to unix and am hoping someone can start me in the right direction. I want to be able to put the results of a file command such as wc -l filename into a variable which I can then use to test against another variable...i.e. I need to show the nth line of a file, but need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmullane
3 Replies

2. Linux

string manipulation in unix

Hi, I have a question . I have script which gets info from db2 engine. The script is cat sample_substitute.sh CNTR_NM=`db2 -x "select CONTAINER_NAME ,usable_pages from table( SNAPSHOT_CONTAINER('TST103',-1)) as SNAPSHOT_CONTAINER, syscat.tablespaces where tablespace_name = tbspace and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: capri_drm
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script file manipulation

Please let me know.. How to manipulate the data from two files..? I have two files, file1 has two columns one is variable and second is description. file2 has five columns first column is variable and last one is description..Appreciate the help I need to overwrite the description from file1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddk2oo5
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX - File/Table/Data manipulation

Hi, I have a table (e.g.): a 1 e 4 5 6 b 2 r 4 4 2 c 5 r 3 7 1 d 9 t 4 4 9 . . What I need to do is to set the values of some values in column 2 to negative values. For example, the values 2 and 9 should become -2 and -9 in the modified file. How should I go about... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc2001
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script text file manipulation.

Hello, I have mysql binary file which logs all the database queries and i to insert all queries log in to database. First i coverted binary file to text file. and start playing with it. Text file contains following queries, some samples are, SET INSERT_ID=1; INSERT INTO test... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirfan
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difficult problem: Complex text file manipulation in bash script.

I don't know if this is a big issue or not, but I'm having difficulties. I apoligize for the upcoming essay :o. I'm writing a script, similar to a paint program that edits images, but in the form of ANSI block characters. The program so far is working. I managed to save the image into a file,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinman47
14 Replies

7. AIX

Unix File name manipulation

I need a script that will raname the following file names that beging with 08078* in unix as follows: Rename 08078-08201103-H00044-CA.835 as follows: 08078-110820-H000440CA.835 Bascially it will do this: 1) Keep the first 6 positons. 2) Move the yr from the file name to be the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with file manipulation script

I am a UNIX newbee . I have been doing some reading lately but really need help with an an urgent requirement.After almost two days of googling I end up with 0 luck. Hopefully a guru on here will be able to help me out. Here is my requirement: I have 20 files in a directory with detail records... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeyd
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulation of file data with UNIX

Hello , How all doing today.. I have a little doubt in Unix (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stream manipulation in UNIX shell scripting

i have a file something like this : start: 01:00:00 01:30:00 02:30:00 05:30:00 end: 01:13:00 02:00:00 02:40:00 05:45:00 and i want (end - start) total run time in below format: run: 00:13:00 00:30:00 00:10:00 00:15:00 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Acme
4 Replies
ui_compat(3)							      OpenSSL							      ui_compat(3)

NAME
des_read_password, des_read_2passwords, des_read_pw_string, des_read_pw - Compatibility user interface functions SYNOPSIS
int des_read_password(DES_cblock *key,const char *prompt,int verify); int des_read_2passwords(DES_cblock *key1,DES_cblock *key2, const char *prompt,int verify); int des_read_pw_string(char *buf,int length,const char *prompt,int verify); int des_read_pw(char *buf,char *buff,int size,const char *prompt,int verify); DESCRIPTION
The DES library contained a few routines to prompt for passwords. These aren't necessarely dependent on DES, and have therefore become part of the UI compatibility library. des_read_pw() writes the string specified by prompt to standard output turns echo off and reads an input string from the terminal. The string is returned in buf, which must have spac for at least size bytes. If verify is set, the user is asked for the password twice and unless the two copies match, an error is returned. The second password is stored in buff, which must therefore also be at least size bytes. A return code of -1 indicates a system error, 1 failure due to use interaction, and 0 is success. All other functions described here use des_read_pw() to do the work. des_read_pw_string() is a variant of des_read_pw() that provides a buffer for you if verify is set. des_read_password() calls des_read_pw() and converts the password to a DES key by calling DES_string_to_key(); des_read_2password() oper- ates in the same way as des_read_password() except that it generates two keys by using the DES_string_to_2key() function. NOTES
des_read_pw_string() is available in the MIT Kerberos library as well, and is also available under the name EVP_read_pw_string(). SEE ALSO
ui(3), ui_create(3) AUTHOR
Richard Levitte (richard@levitte.org) for the OpenSSL project (http://www.openssl.org). 0.9.7a 2001-10-25 ui_compat(3)