Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Provide 2 inputs when prompts Post 302863779 by prasanna2166 on Tuesday 15th of October 2013 06:02:17 AM
Old 10-15-2013
Provide 2 inputs when prompts

Hi All,

I am a novice to UNIX, i need to know is there a way to provide 2 inputs when the shell prompts and i need to assign those 2 values to 2 separate variables. I dont want to give those values as a arguments (while running the script).

Thanks in advance!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh help with remote prompts

Hi, I'm writing a shell script that rsh's onto a remote machine and runs a perl script that requires values to be entered as the script executes. I also need to ba able to see the outputs from the perl script. When I try to run it I get an stty : Invalid argument and understand that this is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianf
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting password prompts

Hi there Probably a really simple question but I am writing an install script and at certain stages of the install (ie creating a table in mysql) the system prompts for you to enter a password, I was wondering, how do I script this input so that the install doesnt keep stopping for manual... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password prompts

I would like to log all the commands that are entered on an ssh client. I can do this successfully, however, I dont want to log user logins and passwords. Is there any way to identify passwords and avoid them? For example, I can look for a string 'password:' and ignore everything until a nl/cr. Is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balag
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

working in different prompts

hi i want a script which would invoke a different prompt and execute commands in that prompt and comes back. Is it possible? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopsman
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Program that prompts for user Id

Hi I have a question that after trying tirelessly I cant solve. I'm not great wth UNIX and wonder if anyone could help. I have to create a shell program using functions that prompts for a user ID. I must then verify that the user Id corresponds to an account on the system. If a legal user Id is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmg2711
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Program that prompts for user Id

Hi I have a question that after trying tirelessly I cant solve. I'm not great wth UNIX and wonder if anyone could help. I have to create a shell program using functions that prompts for a user ID. I must then verify that the user Id corresponds to an account on the system. If a legal user Id is... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmg2711
16 Replies

7. AIX

Deleting a file prompts for a Yes or No

Hi.. I have been asked to delete files in a certain directory in our AIX server, but the problem is, there are over 1000 files to delete. I am prompted by a yes (y) or a no (n) each time and i don't wanna type in a 'y' a thousand times.. :-( Is there a command that i can use to make things faster?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect scripting not seeing the screen prompts.

Someone recommended using an expect script for an issue I was having so I tried writing one but of the 3 expected prompts on the screen, it only see responds to the first one. The code is: ==================================== #!/usr/local/bin/expect -f spawn /usr/local/bin/rcs -u1.1 xyz.fmb... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pjones006
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to provide auto inputs for a sub-script within a script?

Hi All, I am writing a shell script. #!/bin/bash cat /etc/hosts mkdir -p /var/tmp mount 113.123.35.37:/vol/vol615/syb /var/tmp In above script I am trying to add below predefined script/command (/var/tmp/db_tools) This command in turn ask for user input, which will be always option... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhur.baharani
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using tee command with ablity to provide input for prompts

OS version: RHEL 7.4 Shell : bash I would like to capture command outputs using tee like # yum upgrade | tee yumupgradeLog But, if I use tee command, I cannot respond to prompts like Is this ok : during command execution as shown below. Is there a way I could use tee and still be able to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
4 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)