Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Password hiding in UNIX
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Password hiding in UNIX Post 302863451 by sathyaonnuix on Monday 14th of October 2013 09:22:54 AM
Old 10-14-2013
1. If you are a root and you trying to hide the password from other users, give 400 permission to that flat file.
2. If you have a DB available, create a table and store the password into it rather having that in a flat file.
3. Try your own encoding algorithm something like this. convert your passwd into some code, store it and decode with your logic again.
Code:
echo '73 61 74 68 79 61' |  perl -nE 'say map(chr, map { hex } split)'
sathya

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hiding password from ps

I'm calling a program with a command line arguement containing a password. while the process is running anyone on the system can ps -ef and see the password. Is there a way to prevent this from happening. example PROGRAM USERNAME/PASSWD I've also tried PROGRAM `cat passfile` ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudojo
7 Replies

2. IP Networking

Hiding an IP address

Is there anyone who knows how to hide an IP from being logged by the site you are visiting. I know of some paid companies but I am looking for a different solution. Is there some way in UNIX to mask the ip. Help this is urgent. Datopdog (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: datopdog
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hiding login/password in process!

Hello, I am trying to figure out away to hide a command from users when performing a ps check. I have a ksh that purges a table in a database. If I perform a >ps -eaf |grep ksh, I get the login id and password. I do not want other users seeing this. Is there a way to hide this. The login... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctcuser
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hiding files in unix/linux

Can Anybody please help me with the command in Unix/Linux which can help me hide the files which is equal to ATTRIB in DOS Not using . , but any commands in unix which will do this if you any script which will do this ,it will be very helpful Its very URGENT Regards Victor (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorvvk
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hiding password for FTP in a script

Hi, I have a simple script to ftp from unix to a mainframe to get and put files. Currently I have the password setup in a VARS file and dereference the var in my script. Doing it this way allws me to change the password in only one place but it is still viewable for many people. Is there any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cass3
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hiding Password

Hello. A bit of a puzzle here: I have a 3rd party executable, which requires the following parameters: parm1 = program_name, parm2=userid/password, parm3=additional flags. We tried passing password as a variable, but you can do grep, and see what the password actually is I found a bit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kishinevetz
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New Approach Hiding login password from ps -ef

Hello all , I looked up this site for solutions to hide login info from ps -ef | grep like using a seperate file and store the password in that especially for oracle sqlplus scripts. I just got this thought , But dont know how to implement this in UNIX. Is there a way to revoke access from... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: simonsimon
17 Replies

8. Programming

C++ overriding Vs hiding

class B { public: void fns(void){//base def;} }; class D:public B { public: void fns(void) {//new def;} }; I was thinking the above is overriding but somewhere else i found the above is just hiding.Only virtual functions can be considered as overriding? This is the exact statement ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnbach
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting help/advise on hiding/masking username/password

Hi, I currently have a UNIX script with a function that uses a username and password to connect to the database, retrieve some information and then exit. At the moment, am getting the username and password from a hidden plain text file and permission set to -r--------, i.e. read only to who... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote call not hiding password fields

Not sure on the description, but here is a quick rundown. I have 2 servers, we'll call them serverA serverB On serverB, I am calling a script that inside it has the following: ssh srvdsadm@serverB sudo -u dsadm /opt/apps/DataStage/scripts/autoDeploy.sh ${projName} ${subProjVar}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
1 Replies
pwconv(1M)						  System Administration Commands						pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the correspond- ing entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.11 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)