Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Bash/vi: Make file go away once I close it. Post 302863313 by bakunin on Sunday 13th of October 2013 06:41:01 PM
Old 10-13-2013
The term you are looking for is "screen redraw" and as far as i know it is the default behavior of vim (much to my chagrin, because i hate that). I do not know vim that well, but i am sure you find an option to configure that if you search the help pages of it for "screen redraw [on exit]".

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File status - open/close ??

Is there any commands in UNIX, like isopen(),isclose() to know whether a file has been opened for read/write purpose.? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pal
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make your bash script run on a machine with csh and bash

hi, i have a script that runs on bash and would like to run it on a machine that has csh and bash. the default setting on that machine is csh. i dont want to change my code to run it with a csh shell. is there any way i can run the script (written in bash) on this machine? in other words is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Can DOS close an open file?

I'm trying to setup a cron job for my brother that goes out to the web and retrieves an excel file and overwrites the existing copy on his desktop. The problem I'm facing is I have to kill the process (excel.exe) if the file is open while the batch file runs, otherwise, it will create another copy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quattro20v
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Emptying a file (bring the size of the file down to 0 , or close to 0)

Hi I tried to empty an existing file (bring the size of the file down to 0). When I used “> myFile” or “cat </dev/null >myFile”, when I do a “ls –la”, the file size shows as 0. I then wrote 540 lines to the file, and then opened it using vi, I see something like this: "myFile" 540 lines,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qmqmqm
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you close and launch X Window in the Bash shell?

What is the Unix command(s) to close the X Window in the Bash shell to get me into text mode. Also need the command to relaunch it from the text mode. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacatone
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make my own file as a running log file in bash

Hi, I have written a small script from that iam appending the output to a file.If multiple users invoke the same script or if i invoke the same script n number of times (using &), the output file(ZZ/OUT) contains messup information. #!/bin/bash # echo "Hello" >> /tmp/ZZ/OUT sleep 10 echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blrguest
4 Replies

7. Programming

when parent process close, how to close the child?

can someone provide an example, where if the parent process quits for any reason, then the child process will also close? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make a password protected bash script resist/refuse “bash -x” when the password is given

I want to give my long scripts to customer. The customer must not be able to read the scripts even if he has the password. The following command locks and unlocks the script but the set +x is simply ignored. The code: read -p 'Script: ' S && C=$S.crypt H='eval "$((dd if=$0 bs=1 skip=//|gpg... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - make csv file

Hello, im trying to make csv file from a text file that it is the output of pssh command (multiple ssh ) now if i run the command date on all of our servers: i get this output : 14:02:46 192.168.25.230:22 Thu Jul 6 14:02:46 EEST 2017 192.168.70.230: Thu Jul 6 12:02:46 BST 2017 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: batchenr
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal running bash/rsync script does not close with exit (MacOS High SIerra)

Hello, I am running a bash script to do an rsync back on a computer running MacOS High Sierra. This is the script I am using, #!/bin/bash # main backup location, trailing slash included backup_loc="/Volumes/Archive_Volume/00_macos_backup/" # generic backup function function backup {... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
12 Replies
close(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  close(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
close - Close an open channel SYNOPSIS
close channelId _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Closes the channel given by channelId. ChannelId must be an identifier for an open channel such as a Tcl standard channel (stdin, stdout, or stderr), the return value from an invocation of open or socket, or the result of a channel creation command provided by a Tcl extension. All buffered output is flushed to the channel's output device, any buffered input is discarded, the underlying file or device is closed, and channelId becomes unavailable for use. If the channel is blocking, the command does not return until all output is flushed. If the channel is nonblocking and there is unflushed output, the channel remains open and the command returns immediately; output will be flushed in the background and the channel will be closed when all the flushing is complete. If channelId is a blocking channel for a command pipeline then close waits for the child processes to complete. If the channel is shared between interpreters, then close makes channelId unavailable in the invoking interpreter but has no other effect until all of the sharing interpreters have closed the channel. When the last interpreter in which the channel is registered invokes close, the cleanup actions described above occur. See the interp command for a description of channel sharing. Channels are automatically closed when an interpreter is destroyed and when the process exits. Channels are switched to blocking mode, to ensure that all output is correctly flushed before the process exits. The command returns an empty string, and may generate an error if an error occurs while flushing output. If a command in a command pipe- line created with open returns an error, close generates an error (similar to the exec command.) EXAMPLE
This illustrates how you can use Tcl to ensure that files get closed even when errors happen by combining catch, close and return: proc withOpenFile {filename channelVar script} { upvar 1 $channelVar chan set chan [open $filename] catch { uplevel 1 $script } result options close $chan return -options $options $result } SEE ALSO
file(n), open(n), socket(n), eof(n), Tcl_StandardChannels(3) KEYWORDS
blocking, channel, close, nonblocking Tcl 7.5 close(n)