Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Regex not working
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regex not working Post 302862911 by ctsgnb on Friday 11th of October 2013 03:49:17 PM
Old 10-11-2013
did you try with the dollar sign at the end ?

Code:
^abcdef$

If you states it's not working, could you please show us exactly how you test the matching ?
Code:
$ cat toto
gfedcba
abcdefg
abcdef
abcdefg
Abcdef
fgqjghjk
rueaioyu
$ grep ^abcdef$ toto
abcdef
$

Last edited by ctsgnb; 10-11-2013 at 04:54 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

gnu sed regex grouping not working?

Hello, from the gnu sed manual, I should be able to do this: `\(REGEXP\)' Groups the inner REGEXP as a whole, this is used to: * Apply postfix operators, like `\(abcd\)*': this will search for zero or more whole sequences of `abcd', while `abcd*' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allasso
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH regex (convert from working perl version)

Hi there, I need to test that a variable ($VAR) matches a regex mask in BASH. I have the exact thing working in perl (below), but could somebody advise me how i would do the same in BASH ? do i need to use something like egrep ? #!/bin/perl -w my $VAR = "some value"; if ( $VAR =~... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash with: if, elif & regex not working

Why is only hello3 being printed? There must be some kind of syntax problem because the file list definitely includes all the file extensions line by line. #!/bin/bash find '/home/myuser/folder/' -name '*.c' -type f | while read F do if ] # if the file name ends in .txt.c then ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting perl regex to sed regex

I am having trouble parsing rpm filenames in a shell script.. I found a snippet of perl code that will perform the task but I really don't have time to rewrite the entire script in perl. I cannot for the life of me convert this code into something sed-friendly: if ($rpm =~ /(*)-(*)-(*)\.(.*)/)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suntzu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching a regex using egrep not working

Hi, I'm trying to validate if a string matches a regular expression, but it is not working. Am I missing something? Do I need to scape any of the characters? if echo 'en-GB' | egrep '({1,8})(-{1,8})*' >/dev/null; then echo Valid value fi Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skrtxao
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to grep contents of a file within specific time span. regex i am using is not working

Hi , I am trying to extract contents of a file between specified time stamp. but it does not seem to work. i am trying to extract output of /var/adm/messages between 15:00:00 to 15:23:59 . i have tried two regex the first one seems to kind of work. it displays some output. the second one is... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gsub regex not working

I have a number of files that I pass through awk/gsub. I believe to have found a working regex and on 'test bed' sites it matches, however within gsub it does not. Examples: Initial data: /Volumes/Daniel/Public/Drop Box/_Hellsing_Ultimate_OVA_-_10_.mkv gsub & regex: gsub("\]+\]","" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unknownn
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement with [[ ]] and regex not working as expected

Using BASH: $ if -- ::00" ]]; then echo "true"; else echo "false"; fi false Mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make working this regex in perl?

Hello to all, The Regex below is supposed to match all strings except RR45. I've tested in regex101.com and it works, butwhen I try to use it with the perl command below I get the error shown. Regex=(?<=^|RR45)(?!RR45).+?(?=RR45|$) How to fix this? I'm using Cygwin. $ echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail K command regex: adding exclusion/negative lookahead to regex -a@MATCH

I'm trying to get some exclusions into our sendmail regular expression for the K command. The following configuration & regex works: LOCAL_CONFIG # Kcheckaddress regex -a@MATCH +<@+?\.++?\.(us|info|to|br|bid|cn|ru) LOCAL_RULESETS SLocal_check_mail # check address against various regex... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobbieTheK
0 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)