Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Convert Column Values to a Range of Values Post 302860137 by newbio on Friday 4th of October 2013 04:05:39 PM
Old 10-04-2013
Convert Column Values to a Row with Range of Values

I have a list of columns with values that I need to transform into a row containing the range of each column. For example:

"Column A"

"Column B"

etc.

I want the output to be like this:

"Column A" 1-4, 10, 12, 14-8
"Column B" 1, 4-7, 10

I'm just starting with shell scripting, so a code with a description of how to adjust variables would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by newbio; 10-04-2013 at 07:27 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pick values from column based on key values by usin AWK

Dear Guyz:) I have 2 different input files like this. I would like to pick the values or letters from the inputfile2 based on inputfile1 keys (A,F,N,X,Z). I have done similar task by using awk but in that case the inputfiles are similar like in inputfile2 (all keys in 1st column and values in... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
16 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print unique values of a column and sum up the corresponding values in next column

Hi All, I have a file which is having 3 columns as (string string integer) a b 1 x y 2 p k 5 y y 4 ..... ..... Question: I want get the unique value of column 2 in a sorted way(on column 2) and the sum of the 3rd column of the corresponding rows. e.g the above file should return the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amigarus
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert column values into row

hi, I have a requirement where in I read the values from a file using awk. The resulting data should be converted into row format from column format. For ex: My log file login.lst contains the following SERVER1 DB1 SERVER2 DB2 SERVER3 DB3 SERVER4 DB4 I use awk to grep only the server... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil3d
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat Values from Several files if it meets criteria for column values

I have results from some statistical analyses. The format of the results are as given below: I want to select lines that have a p-value (last column) less than 0.05 from all the results files (*.results) and cat to a new results file. It would be very nice if a new column is added that tells... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shift values in one column as header for values in another column

Hi Gurus, I have a tab separated text file with two columns. I would like to make the first column values as headings for the second column values. Ex. >value1 subjects >value2 priorities >value3 requirements ...etc and I want to have a file >value1 subjects >value2 priorities... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Average values in a column based on range

Hi i have data with two columns like below. I want to find average of column values like if the value in column 2 is between 0-250000 the average of column 1 is some xx and average of column2 is ww then if value is 250001-5000000 average of column 1 is yy and average of column 2 is zz. And my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargavpbk88
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting odd values to even values(or vice-versa) located in a column

Hello All, I have a below data in a .csv file where all rows where col1 is A, col2 is odd numbers, similarly even numbers for all rows where col1 is B. Note that my data has some other columns(not shown here) too (around 100) after col2. Tool,Data A,1 A,3 A,5 .... so on B,2 B,4 .... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Column data values to rows

Hi all , I have a file with the below content Header Section employee|employee name||Job description|Job code|Unitcode|Account|geography|C1|C2|C3|C4|C5|C6|C7|C8|C9|Csource|Oct|Nov|Dec|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sep Data section ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create range of values and count values.

Gents, It is possible to generate a range of values according to column 1 and count the total of rows in the range. example input 15.3 15.5 15.8 15.9 16.0 16.1 16.8 17.0 17.5 18.0 output desired 15.0 - 15.9 = 4 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
10 Replies

10. Programming

DB2 Query -Convert multi values from column to rows

Hi Team I am using DB2 artisan tool and struck to handle multi values present in columns that are comma(,) separated. I want to convert those column values in separate rows . For example : Column 1 Column2 Jan,Feb Hold,Sell,Buy Expected Result Column1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
3 Replies
Alzabo::Create::Index(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				Alzabo::Create::Index(3pm)

NAME
Alzabo::Create::Index - Index objects for schema creation SYNOPSIS
use Alzabo::Create::Index; DESCRIPTION
This object represents an index on a table. Indexes consist of columns and optional prefixes for each column. The prefix specifies how many characters of the columns should be indexes (the first X chars). Some RDBMS's do not have a concept of index prefixes. Not all col- umn types are likely to allow prefixes though this depends on the RDBMS. The order of the columns is significant. INHERITS FROM
"Alzabo::Index" Note: all relevant documentation from the superclass has been merged into this document. METHODS
new The constructor takes the following parameters: * table => "Alzabo::Create::Table" object The table that this index is indexing. * columns => [ "Alzabo::Create::Column" object, .. ] * columns => [ { column => "Alzabo::Create::Column" object, prefix => $prefix }, repeat as needed ... ] This parameter indicates which columns that are being indexed. It can either be an array reference of column objects, or an array ref- erence of hash references, each with a key called column and one called prefix. The prefix key is optional. * unique => $boolean Indicates whether or not this is a unique index. * fulltext => $boolean Indicates whether or not this is a fulltext index. * function => $string This can be used to create a function index where supported. The value of this parameter should be the full function, with column names, such as "LCASE( username )". The "columns" parameter should include all the columns used in the function. Returns a new "Alzabo::Create::Index" object. Throws: "Alzabo::Exception::Params", "Alzabo::Exception::RDBMSRules" table Returns the "Alzabo::Create::Table" object to which the index belongs. columns Returns an ordered list of the "Alzabo::Create::Column" objects that are being indexed. add_column Adds a column to the index. This method takes the following parameters: * column => "Alzabo::Create::Column" object * prefix => $prefix (optional) Throws: "Alzabo::Exception::Params", "Alzabo::Exception::RDBMSRules" delete_column ("Alzabo::Create::Column" object) Deletes the given column from the index. Throws: "Alzabo::Exception::Params", "Alzabo::Exception::RDBMSRules" prefix ("Alzabo::Create::Column" object) A column prefix is, to the best of my knowledge, a MySQL specific concept, and as such cannot be set when using an RDBMSRules module for a different RDBMS. However, it is important enough for MySQL to have the functionality be present. It allows you to specify that the index should only look at a certain portion of a field (the first N characters). This prefix is required to index any sort of BLOB column in MySQL. This method returns the prefix for the column in the index. If there is no prefix for this column in the index, then it returns undef. set_prefix This method takes the following parameters: * column => "Alzabo::Create::Column" object * prefix => $prefix Throws: "Alzabo::Exception::Params", "Alzabo::Exception::RDBMSRules" unique Returns a boolean value indicating whether the index is a unique index. set_unique ($boolean) Sets whether or not the index is a unique index. fulltext Returns a boolean value indicating whether the index is a fulltext index. set_fulltext ($boolean) Set whether or not the index is a fulltext index. Throws: "Alzabo::Exception::Params", "Alzabo::Exception::RDBMSRules" register_column_name_change This method takes the following parameters: * column => "Alzabo::Create::Column" object The column (with the new name already set). * old_name => $old_name This method is called by the table object which owns the index when a column name changes. You should never need to call this yourself. Throws: "Alzabo::Exception::Params" id The id is generated from the table, column and prefix information for the index. This is useful as a canonical name for a hash key, for example. Returns a string that is the id which uniquely identifies the index in this schema. AUTHOR
Dave Rolsky, <autarch@urth.org> perl v5.8.8 2007-12-23 Alzabo::Create::Index(3pm)