Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Add new smtp to my dedicated server Post 302859235 by Smiling Dragon on Wednesday 2nd of October 2013 03:34:55 PM
Old 10-02-2013
You can find your local mailer by seeing what's listening on the mail ports or by looking at the running processes and looking for mailers.

"ps -ef" and look for something like "sendmail" or "postfix" - one of these is most likely what you are running.

Then find the relevant config file (eg /etc/mail/sendmail.mc for sendmail, /etc/se/etc/postfix.conf I think for postfix).

A SMARTHOST is a config element that essentally says "just send everything that's not addressed to a local account on this server over to here and ask it to handle it for me".

I use a smarthost entry on my mail server to route all external mail through my ISP's mail server to prevent my outbound mails getting rejected as spam at the destination (they don't like dynamic IP address blocks as the source).

My sendmail.mc smarthost block:
Code:
# Route any mail not to be delivered locally to our ISP's smtp host 
# This stops other spam filters from rejecting mails from our dynamic address
define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.smilingdragons.isp.com')

(Yes, that's not a typo, those are indeed combinations of backtick (`) and apostraphies (') around the names - the macro language used by the .mc file is annoying like that).

edit:
If you are running sendmail and update your .mc file, you then need to run "make" in that directory to automatically create the actual config file (sendmail.cf) and copy it into the right place. make should do this for you itself, but you can check this afterwards by running:
Code:
grep smtp.com /etc/sendmail.cf

and checking that your target smtp server made it in there.
Mine looks like
Code:
DSsmtp.smilingdragons.isp.com

(You can see why it's nicer to use the .mc file now right?)

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Dedicated Server Move

I just moved a dedicated server, which included moving to a new subnet, and new IP address. Now my server is not reconnecting - I've tried ifconfig, altering the etc/hosts file with the new ip address, with no luck. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: esmerika
5 Replies

2. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Dedicated Server - Linux Mirror

Hi guys. I am gonna buy a dedicated server and make it a public mirror for some distributions. but how much RAM, Hard Disk, Band Width, ... will suffice? It will be a mirror for CentOS and Ubuntu both. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send email from sendmail on AIX using exchange server as SMTP server

i am new in AIX i am trying to write a script to take a backup for specific files on server to and check error log if backup success send email to administrator , script done except for sending mail , i try to configure sendmail on aix to use our exchange server to send emails but still get error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_salah
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to optimize apache and mysql on my dedicated server?

Hi, Any one please suggest me the best mysql, apache settings for the given below scenario. My Server config: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5504 @ 2.00GHz 8GB RAM 300GB HDD Website: It's a famous wordpress blog Mysql DB size: 235MB Expectations: Server should be handle 600+ concurrent... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandranjoy
0 Replies

5. Linux

ipcheck problem in my dedicated server

Dear Friends, We have a 4 dedicated servers. All are working but the thing is one server is not working. when i go to network tools and after i enter my host domain i cant able to ping. it is showing host not found. But remaining servers are working. I terminate my account and re-again create... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
4 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

New centos dedicated server - cant get mysql working

Hi all, I installed centos 5, with LAMP. httpd is working fine, ssh, ftp all working ok. But, when I try to use mysql its not, when I give the command mysql I get ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Any way we can create an SMTP server and use any scripting language to read emails from that server

Is there any way to create an SMTP mail server will all granular permissions to it so that I can read emails which that server receives through any scripting language and also reply from the same server automatically? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepcm
3 Replies
globus-rls-admin(8)					      System Manager's Manual					       globus-rls-admin(8)

NAME
globus-rls-admin - Replica Location Service Administration SYNOPSIS
globus-rls-admin -A|-a|-C option value|-c option|-D|-d|-e|-p|-q|-r|-S|-s|-t timeout|-u|-v [ rli ] [ pattern ] [ server ] DESCRIPTION
The program globus-rls-admin performs administrative operations on a RLS server (see globus-rls-server(8)). OPTIONS
-A Add rli to list of RLI servers updated by an LRC server using Bloom filters. Note that partitions are not supported with Bloom fil- ters, the LRC server maintains one Bloom filter for all LFNs in its database, which is sent to all RLI servers configured to receive Bloom filter updates with this option. -a Add rli and optionally pattern to the list of RLI servers that the LRC server sends updates to (using a list of LFNs). If pattern is specified then only LFNs matching it will be sent to rli. If rli is added with no patterns, then it is sent all updates. Pat- tern matching is done using standard Unix file globbing (see fnmatch(3) or sh(1)). -C option value Set server option to value. Note this does not update the configuration file, the next time the server is restarted the configura- tion change will be lost. -c option Retrieve configuration value for specified option from server. If option is "all" then all options are retrieved. -D Remove rli and pattern from list of RLI servers that the RLI server sends updates to. If pattern is not specified then all entries for rli are removed. Note if all patterns are removed separately then rli is sent all updates. To stop any updates from being sent to rli do not specify pattern -d Remove rli and pattern from list of RLI servers that the LRC server sends updates to. If pattern is not specified then all entries for rli are removed. Note if all patterns are removed separately then rli is sent all updates. To stop any updates from being sent to rli do not specify pattern -e Clear LRC database. Removes all lfn,pfn mappings. -p Verifies that the server is responding. -q Cause RLS server to exit. -r Add rli and optionally pattern to the list of RLI servers that the RLI server sends updates to. If pattern is specified then only LFNs matching it will be sent to rli. If rli is added with no patterns, then it is sent all updates. Pattern matching is done using standard Unix file globbing (see fnmatch(3) or sh(1)). -S Show statistics and other information gathered by RLS server. Intended to be input into GRIS. -s Show list of RLI servers and patterns being sent updates by the LRC server. If rli or pattern are not specified they are considered wildcards. -t timeout Set timeout (in seconds) for RLS server requests. Default is 30 seconds. -u Cause LRC server to immediately start full softstate updates to any RLI servers previously added with the -a option. -v Show version and exit. SEE ALSO
globus-rls-server(8), globus_rls_client man pages 23 Apr 02 globus-rls-admin(8)