Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support How to fix the CPU bound issues on AIX? Post 302859137 by blackrageous on Wednesday 2nd of October 2013 12:00:43 PM
Old 10-02-2013
You need to collect more data and answer some basic questions. Is this really a problem? Is the system slow. How many process/threads are in the run queue? How long has the process been running, how many threads are running for the process (dbx) and what are their states. What does vmstat reveal. How long has the system been up?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX 5.3 Issues

We are planning to move to AIX 5.3 and we would like to know if someone has had any 'bad' experiences with it. We have a 32PE p690 Regatta and currently we are running the latest AIX 5.2 with the latest patches. Has anyone any interesting points to mention when transitioning to AXI 5.3? Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miket
1 Replies

2. AIX

If the AIX need reboot after install fix pack or APAR?

After install fix pack or APAR, if aix need reboot? if not, do we need stop database and all applications before we install fix pack or APAR? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
3 Replies

3. AIX

IY17981 fix required for aix 4.3.3 to aix 5L migration but not found

Hi, redbook documentation is telling that IY17981 fix is required for aix 4.3.3 to aix 5L migration. But there is no mention about that fix in any ML installation packages. - My system is ML11 : oslevel –r 4330-11 - But xlC.rte is on wrong version : lslpp -L xlC.rte xlC.rte ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
3 Replies

4. AIX

AIX filter Issues

Hi, I want to print from AIX 5.3/6.1 using 'pr' preprocessing filter and 'PCL' print file type. Steps: 1. Smitty 2. Print Spooling 3. Create a print queue(remote->Generic) 4. change the attributes for that print queue. 5. Change print file type to PCL and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meeraramanathan
1 Replies

5. AIX

How to install AIX Fix Pack 5300-06-06-0811

Hi All, I have this fix for AIX (5300-06-06-0811) and i need to install it. How can i do this? What are the prerequisites for this fix? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucaxvu
1 Replies

6. AIX

APAR fix on AIX 53tl9

We have tried to install an APAR fix IZ20298 on a AIX test server. It is requiring a base level of bos.adt.prof of 5.3.0.0 I cannot find this file anywhere. I fould 5.3.0.1 and it still will not install without the base install. Any ideas where I can find bos.adt.prof 5.3.0.0? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

7. AIX

AIX CPU use

Hi Could somebody explain me how AIX is using CPU?? For example when we have 2 processors system is giving all task to one of them till 100% is used ?? Or it's depend on configuration or anything else ?? Best regards enda (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enda
3 Replies

8. AIX

AIX Fix Pack update

Hi All, i'm try to update my aix 6100.06.05 to 6100.07.00. i download the 4,5 GB of FixPack buy i don't have a required package (devices.chrp.pci.rte 6.1.7.0) This package does not exist on the fix pack (i've check in the .toc file and in the .bff files) On ibm website i see that this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zio Bill
0 Replies

9. AIX

AIX CPU waits

Guys, I have a question - when nmon reports a sizeable %CPU wait, does that mean - 1) IO operations are slowing CPU down, OR 2) paging slowing the CPU down, OR 3) one cant tell?? I thought the nmon documentation clearly suggested that CPU waits reported in nmon were from disk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getback0
4 Replies
max_thread_proc(5)						File Formats Manual						max_thread_proc(5)

NAME
max_thread_proc - defines the maximum number of concurrent threads allowed per process. VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Recommended values DESCRIPTION
is a dynamic tunable that limits the maximum number of threads allowed per process on the system. When tuning the maximum number of threads allowed per process will be the new value of No process will be able to create new threads such that the total count of its threads exceeds Who is Expected to Change This Tunable? System administrators that run applications on their systems requiring a high number of threads per process. Restrictions on Changing The effect of tuning on existing processes is undefined. However, existing threads will not be effected. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? The value of should be raised if there is a need to run an application that requires a higher number of threads per process than what is currently set to accommodate. Also, if thread creation fails with the value of then it could indicate that the has been reached. However, reaching is not the only reason why a thread creation could fail with may be returned if the system tunable has been reached or memory on the system is exhausted. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? A group of processes may be able to exhaust the system wide limit of threads on the system. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? If you feel that it is necessary to limit the number of threads allowed per process. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? Some applications which need a high number of threads may behave differently or fail to operate. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? You may want to look at the value of WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
nkthread(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters max_thread_proc(5)