Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash Processes
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Bash Processes Post 302858405 by RudiC on Monday 30th of September 2013 08:29:19 AM
Old 09-30-2013
You may want to consider the screen package that allows to leave and reenter sessions. Please be aware that screen is not unanimously welcomed by the web community.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Identifying and grouping OS processes and APP processes

Hi Is there an easy way to identify and group currently running processes into OS processes and APP processes. Not all applications are installed as packages. Any free tools or scripts to do this? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kill child processes, when parent is "bash"

Consider this simple command line bash -c 'echo $$ ; sleep 10000'This will print the newly created bash PID and sleep for a long time. If I go to another terminal and do something like ps -flax | grep leepI'll see something like 501 92418 91910 0 0:00.00 ttys000 0:00.00 bash -c echo $$... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: teras
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash: Regulating the number of processes a script can spawn

I've been working on some scripts in which I spawn some background processes. I'd like to be able to limit the number of processes, but have my script spawn additional processes as previous tasks finish. So, let's say I have 20 tasks to complete. Any given task could take from 1 to 10 minutes. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
7 Replies

6. AIX

Typing "bash" at the command line spawns two bash processes

Server: IBM p770 OS: AIX 6.1 TL5 SP1 When one of our develoeprs types "bash" on the command line to switch shells, it hangs. For some reason, two bash processes are created....the first bash process spawns a second bash process in the same console, causing a hang. Anyone have any idea what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wjssj
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Handling background processes - distributed processing

NOTE: I am using BASH and Solaris 10 for this. Currently in the process of building a script that has a main "watcher" daemon that reads a configuration file and starts background processes based on it's global configuration. It is basically an infinite loop of configuration reading. Some of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcarrion87
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for multi-threaded bash processes

hey everyone, I'm having some trouble breaking down some code. It's simple a control script that takes machines meant to be backed up from a list. Then according to that will run multi-threaded processes up until the specified thread limit. for example if there are 4 machines to be backed up,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrell
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line?

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line without needing and requiring a script file. Because I'm actually a windows guy and new here so for illustration is sort of : $ bash "echo ${PATH} & echo have a nice day!" will do output, for example:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

(bash) Script Processes in Parallel

Hello all, I tried to parralise my treatments but after a while 'ps -ef' display all child process <defunct> (zombie) Parent bash script to process all files (>100000) in directory: for filename in /Data/*.txt; do ./child_pprocess.sh $filename & done exit(0)I understand that the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: namnetes
1 Replies
BlackPixelOfScreen(3X11)					     MIT X11R4						  BlackPixelOfScreen(3X11)

Name
       BlackPixelOfScreen, WhitePixelOfScreen, CellsOfScreen, DefaultColormapOfScreen, DefaultDepthOfScreen, DefaultGCOfScreen, DefaultVisualOf-
       Screen, DoesBackingStore, DoesSaveUnders, DisplayOfScreen, XScreenNumberOfScreen, EventMaskOfScreen, HeightOfScreen, HeightMMOfScreen, Max-
       CmapsOfScreen, MinCmapsOfScreen, PlanesOfScreen, RootWindowOfScreen, WidthOfScreen, WidthMMOfScreen - screen information functions and
       macros

Syntax
       BlackPixelOfScreen(screen)

WhitePixelOfScreen(screen)

CellsOfScreen(screen)

DefaultColormapOfScreen(screen)

DefaultDepthOfScreen(screen)

DefaultGCOfScreen(screen)

DefaultVisualOfScreen(screen)

DoesBackingStore(screen)

DoesSaveUnders(screen)

DisplayOfScreen(screen)

int XScreenNumberOfScreen(screen)
	  Screen *screen;

EventMaskOfScreen(screen)

HeightOfScreen(screen)

HeightMMOfScreen(screen)

MaxCmapsOfScreen(screen)

MinCmapsOfScreen(screen)

PlanesOfScreen(screen)

RootWindowOfScreen(screen)

WidthOfScreen(screen)

WidthMMOfScreen(screen)

Arguments
       screen	 Specifies a pointer to the appropriate structure.

Description
       The macro returns the black pixel value of the specified screen.

The macro returns the white pixel value of the specified screen.

The macro returns the number of colormap cells in the default colormap of the specified screen.

The macro returns the default colormap of the specified screen.

The macro returns the default depth of the root window of the specified screen.

The macro returns the default GC of the specified screen, which has the same depth as the root window of the screen.

The macro returns the default visual of the specified screen.

The macro returns or which indicate whether the screen supports backing stores.

The macro returns a Boolean value indicating whether the screen supports save unders.

The macro returns the display of the specified screen.

The function returns the screen index number of the specified screen.

The macro returns the root event mask of the root window for the specified screen at connection setup.

The macro returns the height of the specified screen.

The macro returns the height of the specified screen in millimeters.

The macro returns the maximum number of installed colormaps supported by the specified screen.

The macro returns the minimum number of installed colormaps supported by the specified screen.

The macro returns the number of planes in the root window of the specified screen.

The macro returns the root window of the specified screen.

The macro returns the width of the specified screen.

The macro returns the width of the specified screen in millimeters.

See Also
       AllPlanes(3X11), ImageByteOrder(3X11), IsCursorKey(3X11)
       X Window System: The Complete Reference, Second Edition, Robert W. Scheifler and James Gettys

BlackPixelOfScreen(3X11)