Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Appending "_" (underscores) to variable names Post 302857841 by Gussifinknottle on Friday 27th of September 2013 11:39:19 AM
Old 09-27-2013
Appending "_" (underscores) to variable names

Hello,

I have a file, inputs.list that contain prefixes to files that are inputs for a program

inputs.list
A
B
C
D
E

My files are of the format A_1, A_2, B_1, B_2 and so on. I am planning to run a shell script that takes each line from the above file and feed it to the runProg.sh script as shown below:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

while read x
do
./runProg.sh $x_1 $x_2
done < inputs.list

However this throws an error. How can I append "_" to the variable $x?

Thanks for your input!
~Gus

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending string to xml file using "sed"

Hi folks, Following a section in opmn.xml file: </process-type> <process-type id="OC4J_RiGHTv_IRD1" module-id="OC4J"> <environment> <variable id="LD_LIBRARY_PATH" value="/home/ias/v10.1.2/lib" append="true"/> <variable id="SHLIB_PATH"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"_" in variable names

Hello Experts, I have written a UNIX shell which spans about 400 lines. I have tried to manage the flow as far as possible using functions. In the main shell flow, there are certain variables, not many really - around 10. These variables would obviously act as globals. Here I need some advice... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkansal
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

if [ "variable" = "numerical-range" ]; then

been a while so i'm a bit rusty and need a little help. writing a script that needs to compare $EXECHOST(a number) against a numerical range and then set a value. below isn't working but should give you folks an idea of my goal: if ; then echo "This is a 32B machine, exiting..." if ;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending character "0" in vi editor for all lines between 1 and 40.

I have to append character "0" for lines between 1 and 40 in a file. I tried the following code. :s/^0,1,40/g Input: Output: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
MIXERCTL.CONF(5)					      BSD File Formats Manual						  MIXERCTL.CONF(5)

NAME
mixerctl.conf -- audio mixer configuration file SYNOPSIS
mixerctl.conf DESCRIPTION
The /etc/mixerctl.conf file consists of mixerctl(1) variables to set at boot time. Each line of mixerctl.conf has the following format: variable=value To generate a mixerctl.conf from the current mixer settings, execute: mixerctl -a > /etc/mixerctl.conf Set mixerctl to YES in rc.conf(5) to have the variables set at boot time. Additionally, you can have the settings saved and restored for the devices of your choice by listing them in mixerctl_mixers in rc.conf(5). FILES
/etc/mixerctl.conf EXAMPLES
Example mixer settings for an esa(4) audio adapter: outputs.master=255,255 outputs.master.mute=off outputs.mono=255 outputs.mono.mute=on outputs.mono.source=mixerout outputs.headphones=255,255 outputs.headphones.mute=off outputs.tone=255,255 inputs.speaker=255 inputs.speaker.mute=off inputs.phone=191 inputs.phone.mute=on inputs.mic=191 inputs.mic.mute=on inputs.mic.preamp=off inputs.mic.source=mic0 inputs.line=191,191 inputs.line.mute=on inputs.cd=191,191 inputs.cd.mute=on inputs.video=255,255 inputs.video.mute=off inputs.aux=255,255 inputs.aux.mute=off inputs.dac=191,191 inputs.dac.mute=off record.source=mic record.volume=255,255 record.volume.mute=off record.mic=0 record.mic.mute=off outputs.loudness=off outputs.spatial=off outputs.spatial.center=0 outputs.spatial.depth=0 SEE ALSO
mixerctl(1), rc.conf(5) HISTORY
The mixerctl.conf configuration file first appeared in NetBSD 2.0. BSD
April 5, 2003 BSD