Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automating Linux Script
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Automating Linux Script Post 302857689 by sea on Friday 27th of September 2013 12:33:00 AM
Old 09-27-2013
Automation is about:
  • Make a function for everything
  • Minimize functions
  • Use functions/commands to an extend
  • Fetch the users thoughts/choice
  • Use of arguments
Or using abrevihations as everyone else:
KISS
Keep It Stupid & Simple

Or in other words, think what the user NEEDS, not what you think of.
Or give him lesser options, makes it easier to fetch available choices.

Example:
Code:
cd $HOME/KGS_HOME
mkdir -p Testing/{Beta,DLC,Indi}
mkdir -p Programming/{MainStory,SideStory,CharacterStats}
chmod 755 * -R

hth

EDIT:
Other than that, i (as well) have no idea what you talk about automation...
You list a bunch of folders, where is the automation in that?
What does your script do (other than creating folders)?

EDIT2:
Automation requires BRAIN v2.0 at least.
You (should) KNOW what you want to automate.... we cant help if we dont have enough data to evaluate from...

Last edited by sea; 09-27-2013 at 01:42 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

automating sftp script

I have to write an automated sftp script which uses password authentication method to access the remote server. I want to pass the password as a parameter or to be included in the script itself, so that when i run the sftp script, it should not prompt me to enter the password. Thanks in advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rajeshsu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating Logform Command in a script

Hi all I am trying to create a script to automate the creating of filesystems. The problem I am having is as follows:- After creating the Log Logical Volume, I want to format it, using the logform command. The Logform command expects user intervention, by typing 'y' and 'enter' to continue.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheDoc
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron ? automating a script

Hi all. basically i need to run a script every 30 minutes. my script is simply an error report: errpt thats it, is there anyway to make this happen every 30 minutes without having to type errpt in, the script will get bigger as i add more things to do but just need to know how to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassanj
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in automating dates in ksh script

I need to run a command at the end of a backup job and this command will produce a report of what my backup jobs have collected in the previous day. The real problem is that this binary works with absolute dates only, so I should have to modify the script every single time I need it to work. It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: italia1971luca
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating Interactive script

I have a script that will install software on all remote host. At the end of the script it starts the install.sh part and goes into a interactive mode asking Yes or No questions and prompting to add a username and password. My question is how can I script this so that these questions are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating A Perl Script over a database

Dear Scripting Gods I've never done shell scripting before and have only recently got to grips with Perl, so apologies for my naivity. I've written a perl program which takes in two files as arguments (these are text documents which take in the information I need) The perl program spits out a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fraizerangus
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with automating a bash script

Hi Guys, There are some emails going deferred as we got some new IP's from our ISP. So I was trying to manually copy the deferred mail and forward it to our sales team so that they can contact our client. I am new to this script thing, but luckily I was able to write the code to extract the data... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxrulz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

automating a perl script

Hi, I have a perl script that takes in 2 numerical values as ARGV. perl script.pl parameter1 num1 num2 in my case I have 1000's of num1 and num2. I can have them in separate files. Please let me know how to automate this run using shell scripting or using awk, so that I don't have to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating Crontab through script??

is it possible to automate crontab through script... I ll be getting the data i.e. cron entries from DB. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating Linux Script

I want to automate the creation or processing of the following: Directory and subdirectory creation for your scenario company Files in each of the directories Symbolic links from 2 subdirectories to their parent directories Setting appropriate file permissions for the directories and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ekglag2
1 Replies
mkdir(1)							   User Commands							  mkdir(1)

NAME
mkdir - make directories SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/mkdir /usr/bin/mkdir [-m mode] [-p] dir... ksh93 mkdir [-p] [-m mode] dir... DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/mkdir The mkdir command creates the named directories in mode 777 (possibly altered by the file mode creation mask umask(1)). Standard entries in a directory (for instance, the files ".", for the directory itself, and "..", for its parent) are made automatically. mkdir cannot create these entries by name. Creation of a directory requires write permission in the parent directory. The owner-ID and group-ID of the new directories are set to the process's effective user-ID and group-ID, respectively. mkdir calls the mkdir(2) system call. setgid and mkdir To change the setgid bit on a newly created directory, you must use chmod g+s or chmod g-s after executing mkdir. The setgid bit setting is inherited from the parent directory. ksh93 The mkdir built-in in ksh93 is associated with the /bin and /usr/bin paths. It is invoked when mkdir is executed without a pathname prefix and the pathname search finds a /bin/mkdir or /usr/bin/mkdir executable. mkdir creates one or more directories. By default, the mode of created directories is a=rwx minus the bits set in umask(1). OPTIONS
/usr/bin/mkdir The following options are supported by /usr/bin/mkdir: -m mode This option allows users to specify the mode to be used for new directories. Choices for modes can be found in chmod(1). -p With this option, mkdir creates dir by creating all the non-existing parent directories first. The mode given to intermediate directories is the difference between 777 and the bits set in the file mode creation mask. The difference, however, must be at least 300 (write and execute permission for the user). ksh93 The following options are supported by the mkdir built-in in ksh93: -m mode Set the mode of created directories to mode. mode is symbolic or octal mode as in chmod(1). Relative modes assume an initial --mode=mode mode of a=rwx. -p Create any missing intermediate pathname components. For each dir operand that does not name an existing directory, effects --parents equivalent to those caused by the following command shall occur: mkdir -p -m $(umask -S),u+wx $(dirname dir) && mkdir [-m mode] dir Where the -m mode option represents that option supplied to the original invocation of mkdir, if any. Each dir operand that names an existing directory is ignored without error. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: dir A path name of a directory to be created. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of mkdir when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using mkdir The following example: example% mkdir -p ltr/jd/jan creates the subdirectory structure ltr/jd/jan. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of mkdir: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All the specified directories were created successfully or the -p option was specified and all the specified directories now exist. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/mkdir +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ksh93 +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The ksh93 built-in binding to /bin and /usr/bin is Volatile. The built-in interfaces are Uncommitted. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), ksh93(1), rm(1), sh(1), umask(1), Intro(2), mkdir(2), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 2 Nov 2007 mkdir(1)