Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can we identify SAN devices in fdisk -l output.? Post 302854851 by cjcox on Wednesday 18th of September 2013 12:46:57 PM
Old 09-18-2013
You'll have to lookup more info in (for example) /sys. You can try /sys/block/<device>... but depending you may also have to look through /sys/class/ (the various scsi_host style entries).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Thoughts/experiences of SAN attaching V880 to EMC SAN

Hi everyone, I wonder if I can canvas any opinions or thoughts (good or bad) on SAN attaching a SUN V880/490 to an EMC Clarion SAN? At the moment the 880 is using 12 internal FC-AL disks as a db server and seems to be doing a pretty good job. It is not I/O, CPU or Memory constrained and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: si_linux
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify matching data in a file and output to original line, in perl

Hi, I haven't done this for awhile, and further, I've never done it in perl so I appreciate any help you can give me. I have a file of lines, each with 5 data points that look like this: AB,N,ALLIANCEBERNSTEIN HLDNG L.P,AB,N ALD,N,ALLIED CAPITAL CORPORATION,ALD,N AFC,N,ALLIED CAPITAL... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pcushing
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Identify SAN disks

Hello everybody, I'm using the binary inqraid (Linux RHEL) in order to retrieve information about SAN disks. The questions are: Given an LDEV, how do I know if the SAN disk related to this LDEV is being used by the OS? I mean, how can I demonstrate to "Storage department" that all disks of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

Identify SAN disks not in use

Hello, How can I identify SAN disks not in use by the OS? Thank you. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
8 Replies

5. Solaris

Identify Boot from SAN

How to identify the server is BOOT FROM SAN. Also how one can find from which device it is booted? Thanks Rahul Double post, continued here (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul.kurumkar
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Identify Boot from SAN

Hi, I have many servers all of these are boot from SAN. Can anybody let me know that how to identify the server is Boot fron SAN and from which device? Thanks Rahul (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahul.kurumkar
1 Replies

7. BSD

OpenBSD fdisk - Linux fdisk compatibility ?

Hello, MBR partition table made by linux fdisk looks certainly not correct when printed by openbsd fdisk: Partition table created on linux (centos 6.3): # fdisk -l /dev/sdc Disk /dev/sdc: 10.7 GB, 10737418240 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1305 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of awk/sed to filter out fdisk output

Hi , I am trying to filter out the below output of fdisk -l command : fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 42.9 GB, 42949672960 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5221 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/sda1 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
9 Replies

9. Red Hat

Make a disk disappear from fdisk output

Hello, 1 ) Fdisk -l # Displays all the disk with partition table information My Query ) A ) How can i make one disk ex: /dev/sdd not visible in fdisk -l output ? B) From where fdisk -l collect and display the information ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
8 Replies

10. Solaris

How to identify if disk is attached to SAN and assist in migration.?

I am working on VM host and collecting data to identify the type of storage attached to the server which will be migrated to VNX. it has one ldom created on it luxadm probe output --- No Network Array enclosures found in /dev/es Found Fibre Channel device(s): Node... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpatel786
7 Replies
HPSA(4) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   HPSA(4)

NAME
hpsa - HP Smart Array SCSI driver SYNOPSIS
modprobe hpsa [ hpsa_allow_any=1 ] DESCRIPTION
hpsa is a SCSI driver for HP Smart Array RAID controllers. Options hpsa_allow_any=1: This option allows the driver to attempt to operate on any HP Smart Array hardware RAID controller, even if it is not explicitly known to the driver. This allows newer hardware to work with older drivers. Typically this is used to allow installation of operating systems from media that predates the RAID controller, though it may also be used to enable hpsa to drive older controllers that would normally be handled by the cciss(4) driver. These older boards have not been tested and are not supported with hpsa, and cciss(4) should still be used for these. Supported hardware The hpsa driver supports the following Smart Array boards: Smart Array P700M Smart Array P212 Smart Array P410 Smart Array P410i Smart Array P411 Smart Array P812 Smart Array P712m Smart Array P711m StorageWorks P1210m Since Linux 4.14, the following Smart Array boards are also supported: Smart Array 5300 Smart Array 5312 Smart Array 532 Smart Array 5i Smart Array 6400 Smart Array 6400 EM Smart Array 641 Smart Array 642 Smart Array 6i Smart Array E200 Smart Array E200i Smart Array E200i Smart Array E200i Smart Array E200i Smart Array E500 Smart Array P400 Smart Array P400i Smart Array P600 Smart Array P700m Smart Array P800 Configuration details To configure HP Smart Array controllers, use the HP Array Configuration Utility (either hpacuxe(8) or hpacucli(8)) or the Offline ROM-based Configuration Utility (ORCA) run from the Smart Array's option ROM at boot time. FILES
Device nodes Logical drives are accessed via the SCSI disk driver (sd(4)), tape drives via the SCSI tape driver (st(4)), and the RAID controller via the SCSI generic driver (sg(4)), with device nodes named /dev/sd*, /dev/st*, and /dev/sg*, respectively. HPSA-specific host attribute files in /sys /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/rescan This is a write-only attribute. Writing to this attribute will cause the driver to scan for new, changed, or removed devices (e.g., hot-plugged tape drives, or newly configured or deleted logical drives, etc.) and notify the SCSI midlayer of any changes detected. Normally a rescan is triggered automatically by HP's Array Configuration Utility (either the GUI or the command-line variety); thus, for logical drive changes, the user should not normally have to use this attribute. This attribute may be useful when hot plugging devices like tape drives, or entire storage boxes containing preconfigured logical drives. /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/firmware_revision This attribute contains the firmware version of the Smart Array. For example: # cd /sys/class/scsi_host/host4 # cat firmware_revision 7.14 HPSA-specific disk attribute files in /sys /sys/class/scsi_disk/c:b:t:l/device/unique_id This attribute contains a 32 hex-digit unique ID for each logical drive. For example: # cd /sys/class/scsi_disk/4:0:0:0/device # cat unique_id 600508B1001044395355323037570F77 /sys/class/scsi_disk/c:b:t:l/device/raid_level This attribute contains the RAID level of each logical drive. For example: # cd /sys/class/scsi_disk/4:0:0:0/device # cat raid_level RAID 0 /sys/class/scsi_disk/c:b:t:l/device/lunid This attribute contains the 16 hex-digit (8 byte) LUN ID by which a logical drive or physical device can be addressed. c:b:t:l are the controller, bus, target, and lun of the device. For example: # cd /sys/class/scsi_disk/4:0:0:0/device # cat lunid 0x0000004000000000 Supported ioctl() operations For compatibility with applications written for the cciss(4) driver, many, but not all of the ioctls supported by the cciss(4) driver are also supported by the hpsa driver. The data structures used by these ioctls are described in the Linux kernel source file include/linux/cciss_ioctl.h. CCISS_DEREGDISK, CCISS_REGNEWDISK, CCISS_REGNEWD These three ioctls all do exactly the same thing, which is to cause the driver to rescan for new devices. This does exactly the same thing as writing to the hpsa-specific host "rescan" attribute. CCISS_GETPCIINFO Returns PCI domain, bus, device and function and "board ID" (PCI subsystem ID). CCISS_GETDRIVVER Returns driver version in three bytes encoded as: (major_version << 16) | (minor_version << 8) | (subminor_version) CCISS_PASSTHRU, CCISS_BIG_PASSTHRU Allows "BMIC" and "CISS" commands to be passed through to the Smart Array. These are used extensively by the HP Array Configuration Utility, SNMP storage agents, and so on. See cciss_vol_status at <http://cciss.sf.net> for some examples. SEE ALSO
cciss(4), sd(4), st(4), cciss_vol_status(8), hpacucli(8), hpacuxe(8), <http://cciss.sf.net>, and Documentation/scsi/hpsa.txt and Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-pci-devices-cciss in the Linux kernel source tree COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 HPSA(4)