Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to convert special characters? Post 302854031 by mrcrowley on Monday 16th of September 2013 03:28:03 PM
Old 09-16-2013
How to convert special characters?

Hi All,

I have some text including Turkish characters and the 3rd party application that reads my file does not supporting this character set (at least, I have no control on it).

So, I used below conversion for maximum character support but still have problems with "İ" and "Ş". Application displays those characters as "Ý" and "Ð".

Code:
iconv -f utf8 -t iso8859_9  file1 > file2

Solution is to convert all İ->I and all Ş->S at source text. But I have no idea how to find those special characters.

Something like that is not working:
Code:
:%s/İ/I/g

Thanks for helping.

Last edited by Scott; 09-16-2013 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

special characters

I have one file which is named ^? ( the DEL character ) I'd like to know how to rename or copy the file by using its i-node number TYIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nawnaw
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert special character like £

i had a shell script writing a xml file. I need to use "& # 163;" instead of "£", and replace others characters like: > to > , and so on.. Anyone know how to convert the character automatically? my script as below: do # GET FEED REC SQL2="SELECT A.*, B.subject FROM feed_details A,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cynnie
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with special characters

Hi, I am reading a file (GC_JAR.log) which has entries like: 511725.629, 0.1122672 secs] 525268.975, 0.1240036 secs] 527181.835, 0.2068215 secs] 527914.287, 0.2884801 secs] 528457.134, 0.2548725 secs] I want to replace all the entries of "secs]" with just "secs" Thus, the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itzz.me
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substitue 'Special Characters' in VI

Hi All, I am using LATEX and need to delete all the lines in a file matching: \begin{work} I know there are several ways to do this, but I am trying to do it with the substitute command in VI. The problem is I can't get substitute to recognize the character '\'! How do I do it? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScKaSx
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert special charachter ^C to new line

Hi, I have a file, which contains ^C or ^A characters from mainfrme system, it's dec 192 or octal 300 hex C0. I want to replace this character with new line. I used commands, but it didn't worked. tr '\o300' '\n' <t >t2 #or tr '\xC0' '\n' <t > t2 Can somebody help me to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnag97
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see special characters?

Hi all, I was wondering how can i see the special characters like \t, \n or anything else in a file by using Nano or any other linux command like less, more etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvj
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove special characters?

Hi Gurus, I have file which contains some unicode charachator like "ü". I want to replace it with some charactors. I searched in internet and got command sed "s/ü/-/g", but I don't know how to type ü in unix command line. Please help me for this one. Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
7 Replies
CTYPE_PRINT(3)								 1							    CTYPE_PRINT(3)

ctype_print - Check for printable character(s)

SYNOPSIS
bool ctype_print (string $text) DESCRIPTION
Checks if all of the characters in the provided string, $text, are printable. PARAMETERS
o $text - The tested string. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE if every character in $text will actually create output (including blanks). Returns FALSE if $text contains control charac- ters or characters that do not have any output or control function at all. EXAMPLES
Example #1 A ctype_print(3) example <?php $strings = array('string1' => "asdf ", 'string2' => 'arf12', 'string3' => 'LKA#@%.54'); foreach ($strings as $name => $testcase) { if (ctype_print($testcase)) { echo "The string '$name' consists of all printable characters. "; } else { echo "The string '$name' does not consist of all printable characters. "; } } ?> The above example will output: The string 'string1' does not consist of all printable characters. The string 'string2' consists of all printable characters. The string 'string3' consists of all printable characters. NOTES
Note If an integer between -128 and 255 inclusive is provided, it is interpreted as the ASCII value of a single character (negative val- ues have 256 added in order to allow characters in the Extended ASCII range). Any other integer is interpreted as a string contain- ing the decimal digits of the integer. SEE ALSO
ctype_cntrl(3), ctype_graph(3), ctype_punct(3). PHP Documentation Group CTYPE_PRINT(3)