Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find modify and delete files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find modify and delete files Post 302853861 by nimafire on Monday 16th of September 2013 08:55:54 AM
Old 09-16-2013
Find modify and delete files

hi every one. one of my friends has writen this script and send it to me. this script can find files that add-delete-modify and also send an alert by email
i'm not catch all part of it.
can anyone explain me how this work

Code:
#!/bin/bash
START="a.txt"
END="b.txt"
DIFF="c.txt"
mv ${START} ${END} #moving the first file to be compared
find /home -type f -mmin -5 -print > ${START}
diff ${START} ${END} | grep '<' > ${DIFF}
COUNT=$(cat ${DIFF} | wc -l)
if [[ -s ${DIFF} ]] ; then
cat -- ${DIFF} | mail -s "Modified files in last 5 minutes *** ${COUNT} ***" root
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

batch delete using find, files with # character

UPDATE: Sorry, disregard this. It did work, I made a mistake; I just shouldn't have been using maxdepth. I do think it is good to know, however, that find | grep '#' | xargs rm will "clean up" funnily named files in a directory. Of course, some of those funnily named files are there... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tphyahoo
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files including subdirectory and Delete

Hello Experts, I m newbie. Could u pls help me to write script on Sun solaris- I have backup directory "/var/opt/backup/" where files are backed up in different directory "backup1" "backup2" "backup3". I want to write a shell script which i will put in crontab and daily midnight it will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thepurple
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and delete files

hi all , i want to find and interactively delete all the files having size greater than 20 bytes using "find" and other commands..... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find files for a particular date and delete

How can I delete files for a particular date ? I apologize in advance If there is solution please put the link. Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find files and delete it by comparing

I have a directory where lot of "gzip" files are dropped in every 5 minutes. There is an application which will process these gzip and move it to another directory but will leave a gzip.out file with lot of output data. I need to remove all the outfiles except for the one which is being... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gubbu
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Find and delete empty files and directories

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Need to make a script, to remove all empty files and folders from current category. It also should show the name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Itixop
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to find the files and delete them

This is a real world problem so I think you might found this interesting. We have servers which are shared by multiple team members. Each team member has its own user id and home directory. Now with time each user starts creating files which in end caused the disk to be full. Now for creating a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohit06
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to go Into Directories and Find/Delete files

I have a task, I usually do manually, but with growing responsibilities I tend to forget to do this weekly, I want to write a script that automates this, but I cant seem to work it out in my head, I have the shell of it out, but need help, and you guys have helped me with EVERY problem I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkelly1117
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command to delete old files

Hi, I want to delete all the log files that was created on year 2008. My command is not working. Any idea? find . -name '*.log' -mtime 1460 -exec ls -lt {} \; Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command to delete the files

Hi All, I've created 2 files touch -t 201309101234 aa10 touch -t 201309111234 aa11 Exact 60 days before from today date is SEPT 12th . As per the following command as i gave +60 means the files which were created before sept12th should be deleted find /etc/logs/*aa* -type f -atime +60... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
5 Replies
DH_INSTALLINIT(1)						     Debhelper							 DH_INSTALLINIT(1)

NAME
dh_installinit - install init scripts and/or upstart jobs into package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_installinit [debhelperoptions] [--name=name] [-n] [-R] [-r] [-d] [--params] DESCRIPTION
dh_installinit is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing init scripts with associated defaults files, as well as upstart job files into package build directories. It also automatically generates the postinst and postrm and prerm commands needed to set up the symlinks in /etc/rc*.d/ to start and stop the init scripts. FILES
debian/package.init If this exists, it is installed into etc/init.d/package in the package build directory. debian/package.default If this exists, it is installed into etc/default/package in the package build directory. debian/package.upstart If this exists, it is installed into etc/init/package.conf in the package build directory. OPTIONS
-n, --noscripts Do not modify postinst/postrm/prerm scripts. -o, --onlyscripts Only modify postinst/postrm/prerm scripts, do not actually install any init script, default files, or upstart job. May be useful if the init script or upstart job is shipped and/or installed by upstream in a way that doesn't make it easy to let dh_installinit find it. -R, --restart-after-upgrade Do not stop the init script until after the package upgrade has been completed. This is different than the default behavior, which stops the script in the prerm, and starts it again in the postinst. This can be useful for daemons that should not have a possibly long downtime during upgrade. But you should make sure that the daemon will not get confused by the package being upgraded while it's running before using this option. -r, --no-restart-on-upgrade Do not stop init script on upgrade. --no-start Do not start the init script on install or upgrade, or stop it on removal. Only call update-rc.d. Useful for rcS scripts. -d, --remove-d Remove trailing d from the name of the package, and use the result for the filename the upstart job file is installed as in etc/init/ , and for the filename the init script is installed as in etc/init.d and the default file is installed as in etc/default/ . This may be useful for daemons with names ending in d. (Note: this takes precedence over the --init-script parameter described below.) -uparams --update-rcd-params=params -- params Pass params to update-rc.d(8). If not specified, defaults will be passed to update-rc.d(8). --name=name Install the init script (and default file) as well as upstart job file using the filename name instead of the default filename, which is the package name. When this parameter is used, dh_installinit looks for and installs files named debian/package.name.init, debian/package.name.default and debian/package.name.upstart instead of the usual debian/package.init, debian/package.default and debian/package.upstart. --init-script=scriptname Use scriptname as the filename the init script is installed as in etc/init.d/ (and also use it as the filename for the defaults file, if it is installed). If you use this parameter, dh_installinit will look to see if a file in the debian/ directory exists that looks like package.scriptname and if so will install it as the init script in preference to the files it normally installs. This parameter is deprecated, use the --name parameter instead. This parameter is incompatible with the use of upstart jobs. --error-handler=function Call the named shell function if running the init script fails. The function should be provided in the prerm and postinst scripts, before the #DEBHELPER# token. NOTES
Note that this command is not idempotent. dh_prep(1) should be called between invocations of this command. Otherwise, it may cause multiple instances of the same text to be added to maintainer scripts. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHORS
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> Steve Langasek <steve.langasek@canonical.com> 9.20120909 2012-04-10 DH_INSTALLINIT(1)