Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pwd with space paths but on the parameter don't work Post 302853153 by gsflash80 on Friday 13th of September 2013 10:04:20 AM
Old 09-13-2013
Question Pwd with space paths but on the parameter don't work

hi, i'm finding to solve on the parameter:

for example:

directory Value 1
Code:
root@value 1 > pwd
/home/user/root/value 1

root@value 1 > pwd | sed 's/ /\\ /g'
/home/user/root/value\ 1

root@value 1 > test="$(pwd | sed 's/ /\\ /g')"
root@value 1 > echo "$test"
/home/user/root/value\ 1

root@value 1 > cd "$test"
-bash: cd: home/user/root/value\ 1: No such file or directory

Why don't work? thanks

Last edited by Scott; 09-13-2013 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

How come sigs don't work?

They appear to be turned on, I entered mine in. The check boxes are all checked. And yet, no sigs? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: l008com
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Things in tutorials that don't work.

I am thankful for this site and for the many links provided. I have been going through one of the tutorials, but as I try some things, they don't seem to work. I am wondering if there is something I need first before being able to use a tutorial (like version number (HP-UX) or how I am getting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arungavali
1 Replies

3. Programming

why printf() function don't go work?

I use FreeBSD,and use signal,like follows: signal(SIGHUP,sig_hup); signal(SIGIO,sig_io); when I run call following code,it can run,but I find a puzzled question,it should print some information,such as printf("execute main()") will print execute main(),but in fact,printf fuction print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: konvalo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use variable in sed don't work.

Hi all. I have a script as below: cutmth=`TZ=CST+2160 date +%b` export cutmth echo $cutmth >> date.log sed -n "/$cutmth/$p" alert_sbdev1.log > alert_summ.log My purpose is to run through the alert_sbdev1.log and find the 1st occurence of 'Jan' and send everything after that line to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
4 Replies

5. Programming

why daytime don't work?

Following code is detecting solaris daytime,when I run it,I can't get any result,code is follows: #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <netinet/in.h> #include <arpa/inet.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #define BUFFSIZE 150 int main(){ ... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo $PWD doesn't work

I have entry in the my .profile like below, but still i see $PWD is not defied in my system export PS1=$LOGNAME@`hostname`':'$PWD'>' echo $PWD also gives me nothing, my env list also give no entry for PWD.Can someone help me setting PWD variable. I use /bin/sh (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yesmani
9 Replies

7. Programming

why printf don't work?

I use Solaris 10, I use following code: #include <signal.h> int main(void){ printf("----------testing-----------"); if(signal(SIGUSR1,sig_usr)==SIG_ERR) err_sys("can't catch SIGUSR1"); for(;;) pause(); sig_user(int signo){ ..... } when I run above code,it print nothing... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

awk don't work in hp-ux 11.11

Hello all! I have problem in hp-ux 11.11 in awk I want to grep sar -d 2 1 only 3 column, but have error in awk in hp-ux 11.11 Example: #echo 123 234 | awk '{print $2}' 123 234 The situattions in commands bdf | awk {print $5}' some... In hp-ux 11.31 - OK! How resolve problem (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ostapv
15 Replies

9. Solaris

Open Terminal Don't work

Hi, I installed solaris 10 x86 on my local system. it was working fine. today when i started the system, it started up without any problem. when i tried to open the terminal it didn't open any terminal. Plz help me (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Equivalence classes don't work

Hello: I can't get equivalence classes to work in globs or when passing them to tr. If I understood correctly, matches e, é, è, ê, etc. But when using them with utilities like tr they don't work. Here's an example found in the POSIX standard: I decided to create the aforementioned files in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cacializ
9 Replies
cd(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cd(1)

NAME
cd - change working directory SYNOPSIS
[directory] DESCRIPTION
If directory is not specified, the value of shell parameter is used as the new working directory. If directory specifies a complete path starting with or directory becomes the new working directory. If neither case applies, tries to find the designated directory relative to one of the paths specified by the shell variable. has the same syntax as, and similar semantics to, the shell variable. must have execute (search) permission in directory. exists only as a shell built-in command because a new process is created whenever a command is executed, making useless if written and pro- cessed as a normal system command. Moreover, different shells provide different implementations of as a built-in utility. Features of as described here may not be supported by all the shells. Refer to individual shell manual entries for differences. If is called in a subshell or a separate utility execution environment such as: (which invokes on accessible directories) does not affect the current directory of the caller's environment. Another usage of as a stand- alone command is to obtain the exit status of the command. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. Environment Variables The following environment variables affect the execution of The name of the home directory, used when no directory operand is specified. A colon-separated list of pathnames that refer to directories. If the directory operand does not begin with a slash character, and the first component is not dot or dot-dot, searches for directory relative to each directory named in the variable, in the order listed. The new working directory is set to the first matching directory found. An empty string in place of a directory pathname represents the current direc- tory. If is not set, it is treated as if it was an empty string. EXAMPLES
Change the current working directory to the directory from any location in the file system: Change to new current working directory residing in the current directory: or Change to directory residing in the current directory's parent directory: Change to the directory whose absolute pathname is Change to the directory relative to home directory: RETURN VALUE
Upon completion, exits with one of the following values: The directory was successfully changed. An error occurred. The working directory remains unchanged. SEE ALSO
csh(1), pwd(1), ksh(1), sh-posix(1), sh(1), chdir(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
cd(1)