Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace nulls with a value in a file Post 302852121 by rudoraj on Tuesday 10th of September 2013 02:49:29 PM
Old 09-10-2013
Replace nulls with a value in a file

Hi,

I've a PIPE delimited file with about 5 fields. Sometimes the records in the 4th field is null, so I want to replace it based on values we get it on 2nd field in the same file.

Following is an example.
Code:
ABCD|X-TYPE 3.0|2010|X-TYPE|20000
CDEF|C-TYPE 2.5|2011|C-TYPE|10000
XYZ|LX 4WD|2009|LX|20000
PQR|EX 4WD|2009||20000

on the 4th record, 4th field is null, so looking at its 2nd field value , I want to update the 4th field as EX. How can I do it using awk or sed.

Thanks,

Last edited by joeyg; 09-10-2013 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Please wrap data and commands in CodeTags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GREPing for Nulls

I just had a filesystem / file corruption issue on my HSP's server due to disk capacity limits and fileswapping. I discovered that certain files got corrupted when fileswapping was not successful and they ended up with a string of control characters, or what I believe to be nulls, in them. Does... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dr. DOT
4 Replies

2. Programming

Blanks vs: Nulls

I'm relatively new to Pro*C programming. In the following example: char name; EXEC SQL SELECT 'John Doe' INTO :name FROM DUAL; "John Doe" is in positions 0-7, blanks in 8-19, and a null in 20. I would really prefer the null to be in position 8 and I don't care what's after that. I wrote a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ebock
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing nulls using sed

Hi, I am trying to replace nulls with spaces in every record of a '|' delimited file. I used this command - cat input.dat | sed 's/||/| |/g' > output But if a space appears twice '| | |' , then only the first null is getting replaced with a space. The second one remains as a null. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice1324
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check Null values in a file column by column if columns are Not NULLs

Hi All, I have a table with 10 columns. Some columns(2nd,4th,5th,7th,8th and 10th) are Not Null columns. I'll get a tab-delimited file and want to check col by col and generate seperate error code for each col eg:102 if 2nd col value is NULL and 104 if 4th col value is NULL so on... I am a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandab
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort truncates line when they contain nulls

When I try to sort a file where some records contain nulls i.e. hex 00 the sort truncates the record when it reaches the null and writes message: "sort: warning: missing NEWLINE added at end of input file myfile" I'm assuming from this that the sort sees the null as a special character and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArthurWaik
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace nulls with whitespaces in a file

Hi, i have a file which contains data in fixed length. each row contains data of 10 characters fixed length. The data in the file appears like 4567782882 some times i may recieve dat less than fixed length of 10. in such a case i find nulls appended at the trailing spaces when i do a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meeragiri
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Counting columns in a delimited record with NULLs

I am trying to count the number of columns in a delimited flat file. The record is tab delimited. When I use the command wc -w, I am getting unexpected results when the record contains a NULL value. I believe it is because there is a "word" missing. The below example will return 4 words... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that Nulls Contents of Files

Ok, I'm stuck here with a plan to get what I need done completed. I want to use perl to produce a document. lets say the document will be a pdf document. Now, is there a way for me to put a tiny little code in that pdf document that can make the pdf file null itself if run on a non-unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove or truncate trailing nulls from file

I want to remove from a file the trailing null characters (0x00) and stop doing so when a different byte is found (which should not be deleted), and either put the result to the same file or a different one. Any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
9 Replies
UTMP(5) 						      BSD File Formats Manual							   UTMP(5)

NAME
utmp, wtmp, lastlog -- login records (DEPRECATED) SYNOPSIS
#include <utmp.h> DESCRIPTION
The interfaces in file <utmp.h> are all DEPRECATED and are only provided for compatibility with previous releases of Mac OS X. See pututxline(3) and utmpx(5) for the supported interfaces. <utmp.h> declares the structures used to record information about current users in the file utmp, logins and logouts in the file wtmp, and last logins in the file lastlog. The time stamps of date changes, shutdowns and reboots are also logged in the wtmp file. These files can grow rapidly on busy systems, daily or weekly rotation is recommended. If any of these files do not exist, it is not cre- ated. These files must be created manually and are normally maintained in either the script /etc/daily or the script /etc/weekly. (See cron(8).) #define _PATH_UTMP "/var/run/utmp" #define _PATH_WTMP "/var/log/wtmp" #define _PATH_LASTLOG "/var/log/lastlog" #define UT_NAMESIZE 8 #define UT_LINESIZE 8 #define UT_HOSTSIZE 16 struct lastlog { time_t ll_time; char ll_line[UT_LINESIZE]; char ll_host[UT_HOSTSIZE]; }; struct utmp { char ut_line[UT_LINESIZE]; char ut_name[UT_NAMESIZE]; char ut_host[UT_HOSTSIZE]; time_t ut_time; }; Each time a user logs in, the login program looks up the user's UID in the file lastlog. If it is found, the timestamp of the last time the user logged in, the terminal line and the hostname are written to the standard output. (Providing the login is not quiet, see login(1).) The login program then records the new login time in the file lastlog. After the new lastlog record is written , the file utmp is opened and the utmp record for the user inserted. This record remains there until the user logs out at which time it is deleted. The utmp file is used by the programs rwho(1), users(1), w(1), and who(1). Next, the login program opens the file wtmp, and appends the user's utmp record. The same utmp record, with an updated time stamp is later appended to the file when the user logs out. (See launchd(8).) The wtmp file is used by the programs last(1) and ac(8). In the event of a date change, a shutdown or reboot, the following items are logged in the wtmp file. reboot shutdown A system reboot or shutdown has been initiated. The character '~' is placed in the field ut_line, and reboot or shutdown in the field ut_name. (See shutdown(8) and reboot(8).) date The system time has been manually or automatically updated. (See date(1).) The command name date is recorded in the field ut_name. In the field ut_line, the character '|' indicates the time prior to the change, and the character '{' indicates the new time. FILES
(These files no longer exist in 10.5 or later.) /var/run/utmp The utmp file. /var/log/wtmp The wtmp file. /var/log/lastlog The lastlog file. SEE ALSO
last(1), login(1), who(1), ac(8), launchd(8) HISTORY
A utmp and wtmp file format appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. The lastlog file format appeared in 3.0BSD. 4th Berkeley Distribution March 17, 1994 4th Berkeley Distribution