Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Total number of files in the folder should be listed Post 302851065 by Don Cragun on Friday 6th of September 2013 02:35:43 PM
Old 09-06-2013
Assuming that you want the names of files in the current directory (including those whose first character is a dot (.)) and that no file in the current directory have names that contain a newline character:
Code:
ls -f | wc -l

will give you the number of files in the current directory.

If you want a sorted list of the files in the current directory followed by the number of files, try:
Code:
ls -a | tee /dev/tty | wc -l

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

CVSWeb - Directories listed but files not listed

I am using CVSWeb on HPUnix. When i access it, all directories are listed but files are not listed. I am getting the error "NOTE: There are 51 files, but none matches the current tag. " in tomcat sevrer log i am getting the message "rlog warning: Missing revision or branch number after -r"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

total number of files which have "aaa" in files whose names are File*_bbb*

I am getting the list of all the files which have "aaa" from files whose name is File*_bbb*. grep -l "aaa" File*_bbb* But I want to count the number of files. That is I want the total number of files which have "aaa" in files File*_bbb* If I run the following for getting number of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudheshnaiyer
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

check how many files in folder or total files in folder

Hi all, I have copied all my files to one folder.and i want to check how many files (count) in the folder recently moved or total files in my folder? please send me the query asap. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasad
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script on how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory

how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory using perl script.. I mean if I have 10 files under a directory then I want to count the total number of lines of all the 10 files contain. Please help me in writing a perl script on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityam
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command for total number of files (and size) across subdirectories?

Hi all... I have a directory called dbrn. This directory contains an unknown number of subdirectories which in turn contain an unknown number of files. What I want to know is: How many files with extention .ABC can be found in /dbrn across all subdirecties, and what is the total size for... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beun
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write the total number of rows in multiple files into another file

Hello Friends, I know you all are busy and inteligent too... I am stuck with one small issue if you can help me then it will be really great. My problem is I am having some files i.e. Input.txt1 Input.txt2 Input.txt3 Now my task is I need to check the total number of rows in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaya kumar
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Touch 10% of the total files inside a folder

I'm trying to make this code below to work but I can't find the way to do the following: I want to make the script to touch only 10% of the total amount of files counted inside the given directory instead of all like it is now. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can give me a direction on... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: regraphix
9 Replies

8. HP-UX

Total number of files in a FS

Hello people, On HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800 How can I have in aprox. the total number of files in a specific FS? Is the number of used inodes a rough estimation of my total number of files? Server1 /Data:df -i . /Data (/dev/vg_Data/lvol1 ) : 18292960 total i-nodes 15800945 free... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance of calculating total number of matching records in multiple files

Hello Friends, I've been trying to calculate total number of a certain match in multiple data records files (DRs). Let say I have a daily created folders for each day since the beginning of july like the following drwxrwxrwx 2 mmsuper med 65536 Jul 1 23:59 20150701 drwxrwxrwx 2 mmsuper... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting total files with different file types in each folder

Trying to count total files with different file types with thousands of files in each folder. Since some files do not have extensions I have to use below criteria. Count Total Files starting with --> "^ERROR" Count Total Files starting with --> "^Runtime" Count Everything else or files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
3 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)