Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Question regarding Reg entries Post 302850843 by Don Cragun on Thursday 5th of September 2013 09:08:43 PM
Old 09-05-2013
Depending on what shell you're using, you should have something like $PATH in your environment that provides pathnames to directories containing the commands you normally run. On UNIX and Linux systems, PATH is a colon separated list of directories; on Windows systems it is frequently a semicolon separated list of directories. Some shells on Windows internally convert slashes in pathnames to backslashes; some don't.

Try the command:
Code:
echo $PATH

in your shell. If it is there, try the command:
Code:
export PATH="$PATH;C:\RESOURCE\FFMPEG"
      or
export PATH="$PATH;C:/RESOURCE/FFMPEG"

matching the use of slashes or backslashes in existing entries in $PATH. You should then be able to just run ffmpeg or ffmpeg.exe to run the command in any subshell of your current shell.

Look at the man page for your shell. There should be an initialization file (such as $HOME/profile.sh) that will be run when you login. You can set $PATH there to add that directory to your $PATH for all later shells after you log out and log back in to your system.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 09-05-2013 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: Drop the base name from the additions to $PATH

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reg files

Dear all, One of our jobs retrieves data from tables and writes it to files. This job was running for around 15 minutes for the past 8 months. Now, this job is runnig for 45-50 minutes. I checked with the DBA's and found no issues with database. The time taken by to job to write to the file is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Reg. Expression

I need help with this: Can any one tell me what does these below mean: 1. "\(.\).*") != '/' 2. sed 's+^\./++;s+/.*++' 3. sed "s+${f}/+ + Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe2266
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reg: Gzip

Hi , I want gzip a folder te55 which has got 3 files test1.test2,test3 the name of the gzipped folder should be te55.gz with the 3 files as test1,test2,test3 itself... Is it possible... thanks in advance sam (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam99
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a help reg -d in shell

hi, I am using this to get previous month `date -d"1 month ago" "+%m"` But will it work for january?..will it return 12? Please advice. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanathi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

reg exp question

Hi, Should be a difference between ']]*' and ']+' ? I use them in bash with sed and grep. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ynir
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reg Ex question

Hi All, If I had a string that was a combination of plain text and quoted text - For ex String: This "sentence is" a combination of "multiple words" I wanted to know how I can write a reg-ex that splits the above string into the following result = This result = sentence is result = a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: garric
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reg: MAILX

Hi all, I am trying to send a mail by using MAILX option to my YAHOO-Id. It is giving the following error. Can any one help me to find what is the problem? Do i need to get any kind of settings in my UNIX box for using MAILX? The bounce mail is as below: Message 1: From MAILER-DAEMON Tue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Reg. VXVM

Hi Guys, I have a doubt either to Reboot the server after Replacing the disk0. I have two disks under vxvm root mirrored and i had a problem with primary disk so i replace the disk0 failed primary disk and then mirrored. After mirroring is it reboot required ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting - Reg.

Hi masters, I have one doubt, lets's say file1 has the following contents, 1 2.0 3.1 5.5 7 5.10 5.9 How to sort these contents to get the o/p like 1 2.0 3.1 5.5 5.9 5.10 7 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ecearund
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reg:SFTP

I have a query in regards to SFTP....We have a SFTP ID/PWD, so say if the password changes Would it fail my SFTP? SFTP uses public/private keys for authentication right? So would it endanger my existing process???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
1 Replies
profile(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							profile(4)

NAME
profile - set up user's environment at login time DESCRIPTION
If the file exists, it is executed by the shell for every user who logs in. The file should be set up to do only those things that are desirable for every user on the system, or to set reasonable defaults. If a user's login (home) directory contains a file named that file is executed (via the shell's before the session begins. files are useful for setting various environment parameters, setting terminal modes, or overriding some or all of the results of executing EXAMPLES
The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 22 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/myname # Add my /bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type echo "terminal: c" read TERM case $TERM in 300) stty cr2 nl0 tabs; tabs;; 300s) stty cr2 nl0 tabs; tabs;; 450) stty cr2 nl0 tabs; tabs;; hp) stty cr0 nl0 tabs; tabs;; 745|735) stty cr1 nl] -tabs; TERM=745;; 43) stty cr1 nl0 -tabs;; *) echo "$TERM unknown";; esac A more complete model can be found in FILES
SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), su(1), environ(5), term(5). profile(4)