Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Anyway different ways of doing this program Post 302849987 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 3rd of September 2013 05:05:18 PM
Old 09-03-2013
Typically for this short of problem you would use the shift shell internal.

Code:
if [ $# -eq 0 ]
then
    echo "Usage: $0 host [...]">&2
    exit 1
fi

while [ $# -gt 0 ]
do
    if ping -q -c 1 $1 > /dev/null 2>&1
    then
    else
        echo $1 is online
    fi
    shift
done

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 09-03-2013 at 06:13 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Tips and Tutorials

12 Ways to Parse a file

A common thing in shell scripting. I came across this script that will be useful for people learning to write script. #!/usr/bin/ksh # # SCRIPT: 12_ways_to_parse.ksh.ksh # # # REV: 1.2.A # # PURPOSE: This script shows the different ways of reading # a file line by line. Again... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ways to know about a command.......

What are the ways to know about a command? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: g.ashok
7 Replies

3. Programming

Ways to eliminate Zombies?

what are the precautions to be taken care for avoiding zombie process ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
8 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

10 e-ffective Ways to Get Backlinks!

Backlinks are super important on the web today! Without them your site most likely will not get found by search engine spiders. If your website has been generating low to No traffic then it is probably due to the lack of backlinks. Below are 10 e-ffective Ways to Get Backlinks! 1. Forum... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: donaldcarter55
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Two questions. First one; What are the ways in which a program starts to run.

This is my first post here so hello everyone! I know that a command of the programs name can start a program and clicking on a icon in GUI can as well as a startup shell script but how do I educate myself of the method that starts an application? Does the GUI run a script? What are the ways/ way... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK help ! or others ways to do it!

Hi! I really need your help! I need to operate the columns separate by ',' of a file with this structure a1,a2,a3 b1,b2,b3,b4,b5 c1,c2 d1,d2,d3 e1 .... and I want the result of this subtractions a1-a1,a2-a1,a3-a1 b1-b1,b2-b1,b3-b1,b4-b1,b5-b1 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: geparada88
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Different ways in which applications are Launched.

How does X windows system launch a program? Does X give init a command (fork) or does x give BASH a command? Can/does X interact with init directly or does everything go through BASH? :wall: Thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why use RADIUS for authentication as there are many ways to do it ?

I guess I probably ask a dumb question but why use RADIUS for authentication as there are many ways to do it, as authentication is basically a user/password check? What is the benifit(s) of using it ? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qiulang
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Different ways to get OS version

I am trying to figure out the OS version of my Linux box. I got three commands: # uname -a Linux test01 2.6.18-238.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 15:51:15 EST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 # cat /proc/version Linux version 2.6.18-238.el5 (mockbuild@builder10.centos.org) (gcc version 4.1.2 20080704... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: insvf
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different ways to check a file

to get the checksum of a file on unix systems, you can just use the "cksum" command. i discovered there are some watered down versions of unix systems i have to do some work on. surprisingly, these systems have perl installed on them and awk. so if the cksum command is not available on a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)