Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Divide by zero script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Divide by zero script Post 302848197 by jefferj54 on Wednesday 28th of August 2013 05:57:18 PM
Old 08-28-2013
Divide by zero script

Hi,

I've been working on a few scripts and have been getting great info.
How, would I include in the below script, how I would let a user know that if they divide a SECOND number by zero, that they would get a divide by zero error? What's the easiest way of working this?

Cordially,
joe.

I think I asked this and didn't get a viable answer before. 'Trying again.

Example: If 5 / 0 -( "0" is second number), A divide by zero error warning would be included in the script.

Script:
Code:
echo "Enter a number."
read num1
echo "Enter another number."
read num2
div=$((num1 / num2))
echo "div=$div"

Last edited by Scott; 08-29-2013 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: Code tags - again; and double post - closed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script needs to divide by 2

i need to divide this count by 2, what variable can i use in my script? 26 hcscprod_cpus_totals /2 = 13 13 hcncprod_cpus_totals /2= 6.5 541 ktazp_cpus_totals /2= 270.5 346 ktazd_cpus_totals /2=173 110 ktazi_cpus_totals /2=55 10 ktazq_cpus_totals /2=5 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wereyou
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

divide with awk

Dear, i want to devide the first 4 values from a raw over the next 4 values like the following: $1+$2+$3+$4 / $5+$6+$7+$8 using AWK ....can someone help me? Sanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tontal
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

divide issue

Hi, I have a issue dividing 2 values in UNIX a=15 b=100 c = a / b ==> and it is returning 0 instead of 0.15 into variable C. How can i resolve this issue ? please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kotasateesh
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I can't divide properly in shell

I'm new at this and frustratd because I know this must be simple but here goes. I'm trying to write a script that will give me the percentage of a particular field over multiple text files. Each day I have around 1500 files that are generated. Each file has around 100 lines in it. The lines... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikez104
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide variable

Hi All, here D Prints the bytes value .plz help to convert the variable D value to MB in new variable $E D=`more $C |awk '{print $6;}'` Thanks in Advance.:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide two variable

F= `expr $E/$S` output test5.sh: line 45: 1296863.27001857757568359375/21997: No such file or directory can any one help me ,i just want to divide the $E/$S and Print o/p in F. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to Divide a negative number in bash script

I am using a small script to divide some numbers in a given file and display the output in another file. I am getting the following error basename: invalid option -- '5' Try `basename --help' for more information. (standard_in) 1: syntax error The script is : #!/bin/bash for i in `cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmnr877
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To divide file

We have large log files, and we need to extract last four hours lines only, Please let us know the command. Thanks, Saurau. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurau
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to divide/expand first digit to show some numbers

Hello to everyone, I have this complex problem and I don't how to do it. I'm not sure if awk could be a good choice to do it or could be easiest in bash or perl. A kind of introduction would be: - I have a digit, lets say 3. - I can expand/spread out the digit 3 to cover all possible... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide the value of the column if not NULL.

File 1 --------- N_ACCT,CARD_TYPE,CARD_BAL,CUST_CODE --------------------------------------------------- 0301,38,0.00,10 0319,38,54422.92,10 0392,38,0.00,10 0418,38,35254.87,10 0442,38,0.00,10 0491,38,0.00,10 0558,38,45988.76,10 0616,38,0.00,10 0665,38,0.00,10 0699,38,0.00,10 File 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_target
3 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action set the message that will be recorded to describe the end-user action in the reflog, when the script updates a ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)