Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find out if multiple files have lines ending with"r" Post 302844527 by newbie2010 on Monday 19th of August 2013 10:51:19 AM
Old 08-19-2013
Thanks!

Thanks, I completely missed these!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get two strings ending with "." and starting with "."

Hi all, In unix shell, I want to get two strings ending with "." and starting with "." from a string "chan.txt" For example, a string "chan.txt". The first string is "chan" The second string is "txt" Yours Wilson (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wilsonchan1000
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines ending in "_;" using sed

I could really use some help with this issue. I'm having a lot of trouble getting my sed command to delete only the lines from my file that end with _; I'm also supposed to carry the leading 'c' down to the next line. The commands I've tried either delete everything or nothing at all. Any help... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: turbulence
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find command" to find the files in the current directories but not in the "subdir"

Dear friends, please tell me how to find the files which are existing in the current directory, but it sholud not search in the sub directories.. it is like this, current directory contains file1, file2, file3, dir1, dir2 and dir1 conatins file4, file5 and dir2 contains file6,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk? extract quoted "" strings from multiple lines.

I am trying to extract multiple strings from snmp-mib files like below. ----- $ cat IF-MIB.mib <snip> linkDown NOTIFICATION-TYPE OBJECTS { ifIndex, ifAdminStatus, ifOperStatus } STATUS current DESCRIPTION "A linkDown trap signifies that the SNMP entity, acting in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: genzo
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting files ending in numbers with "sort"

I have a group of files that I need to be sorted by number. I have tried to use the sort command without any luck. ls includes* includes1 includes10 includes11 includes12 includes2 includes3 includes4 includes5 includes6 includes7 includes8 includes9 I have tried ls includes*... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a single "find" cmd to search for multiple file types and output individual files

Hi All, I am new here but I have a scripting question that I can't seem to figure out with the "find" cmd. What I am trying to do is to only have to run a single find cmd parsing the directories and output the different file types to induvidual files and I have been running into problems.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swaters
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with "A" then change "E" to "X" same line

I have a bunch of random character lines like ABCEDFG. I want to find all lines with "A" and then change any "E" to "X" in the same line. ALL lines with "A" will have an "X" somewhere in it. I have tried sed awk and vi editor. I get close, not quite there. I know someone has already solved this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightwatchrenba
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using "Find" & Storing To Multiple Variables

Hello all! I'm pretty new to bash scripting, so this should be a pretty easy question to solve. For the last few hours, I've been creating a script that will list some of the following (based on a path I specify): # of directories # of files # of executable files files older than 365... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alphekka
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find . -path "*_nobackup*" -prune -iname "*.PDF" \( ! -name "*_nobackup.*" \)

These three finds worked as expected: $ find . -iname "*.PDF" $ find . -iname "*.PDF" \( ! -name "*_nobackup.*" \) $ find . -path "*_nobackup*" -prune -iname "*.PDF" They all returned the match: ./folder/file.pdf :b: This find returned no matches: $ find . -path "*_nobackup*" -prune... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

find files in sub dir with tag & add "." at the beginning [tag -f "Note" . | xargs -0 {} mv {} .{}]

I am trying find files in sub dir with certain tags using tag command, and add the period to the beginning. I can't use chflags hidden {} cause it doesn't add period to the beginning of the string for web purpose. So far with my knowledge, I only know mdfind or tag can be used to search files with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
6 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)