Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Zipping files by numeric name range Post 302844239 by alister on Saturday 17th of August 2013 02:36:43 PM
Old 08-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve matthews
Code:
   echo "$x" does not exist

It's best to always redirect diagnostic messages to stderr, so that when someone runs your script with stderr redirected, the messages are sent to the correct destination.
Code:
echo error_message 1>&2

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

numeric range comparisons

I have two files.And a sort of matrix analysis. Both files have a string followed by two numbers: File 1: A 2 7 B 3 11 C 5 10 ...... File 2: X 1 10 Y 3 5 Z 5 9 What I'd like to do is for each set of numbers in the second file indicate if the first or second number (or both) in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zipping files?

how would i zip a file? what does zip mean? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trob
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

zipping files

Hi, Is there any difference if files are individually zipped and archived in a directory or if files are moved into archiving directory and zipping that directory. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathich
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to match a numeric range specified by two columns

Hi Everyone, Here's a snippet of my data: File 1 = testRef2: A1BG - 13208 13284 AAA1 - 34758475 34873943 AAAS - 53701240 53715412File 2 = 42MLN.3.bedS2: 13208 13208 13360 13363 13484 13518 13518My awk script: awk 'NR == FNR{a=$1;next} {$1>=a}{$1<=a}{print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: heecha
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with zipping files

Hi, I have come across a requirement in which I need to zip files. This is fine but the requriement has one conditions like below: One .z file can not have more than 10,000 files Now in the directory I have several files liek below: aaa_file_10_00001.txt aaa_file_10_00002.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurences of a numeric string falling in a range

Dear all, I have numerous dat files (1.dat, 2.dat...) containing 500 numeric values each. I would like to count them, based on their range and obtain a histogram or a counter. INPUT: 1.dat 1.3 2.16 0.34 ...... 2.dat 1.54 0.94 3.13 ..... ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chen.xiao.po
3 Replies

7. Programming

Perl : Numeric Range Pattern Matching

hi Experts just wondering if you can help me check a number between a specific range if i have an ip address , how can i say the valid number for ip between 1 to 254 something like this if ($ip ) =~ /.../ { } what the pattern i need to type thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubando
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk numeric range match only one digit?

Hello, I have a text file with lines that look like this: 1974 12 27 -0.72743 -1.0169 2 1.25029 1974 12 28 -0.4958 -0.72926 2 0.881839 1974 12 29 -0.26331 -0.53426 2 0.595623 1974 12 30 7.71432E-02 -0.71887 3 0.723001 1974 12 31 0.187789 -1.07114 3 1.08748 1975 1 1 0.349933 -1.02217... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meridionaljet
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate Regex numeric range with specific sub-ranges

hi all, Say i have a range like 0 - 1000 and i need to split into diffrent files the lines which are within a specific fixed sub-range. I can achieve this manually but is not scalable if the range increase. E.g cat file1.txt Response time 2 ms Response time 15 ms Response time 101... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: varu0612
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and removing the old files and zipping the files using shell script

Hi, I am trying to removing the old files which were older than 10 days and same g zipping the files using the shell script. script was return as follows. find /jboss7_homes/JBOSS7/SKYLIV??/SKYLIV??_CRM/jboss-eap-7.0/standalone/log -mtime +10 -type f | xargs rm -f find /cer_skyliv??/log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
6 Replies
CMDTEST(1)						      General Commands Manual							CMDTEST(1)

NAME
cmdtest - blackbox testing of Unix command line tools SYNOPSIS
cmdtest [-c=COMMAND] [--command=COMMAND] [--config=FILE] [--dump-config] [--dump-memory-profile=METHOD] [--dump-setting-names] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [-k] [--keep] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [-t=TEST] [--test=TEST] [--timings] [--version] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
cmdtest black box tests Unix command line tools. Given some test scripts, their inputs, and expected outputs, it verifies that the command line produces the expected output. If not, it reports problems, and shows the differences. Each test case foo consists of the following files: foo.script a script to run the test (this is required) foo.stdin the file fed to standard input foo.stdout the expected output to the standard output foo.stderr the expected output to the standard error foo.exit the expected exit code foo.setup a shell script to run before the test foo.teardown a shell script to run after test Usually, a single test is not enough. All tests are put into the same directory, and they may share some setup and teardown code: setup-once a shell script to run once, before any tests setup a shell script to run before each test teardown a shell script to run after each test teardown-once a shell script to run once, after all tests cmdtest is given the name of the directory with all the tests, or several such directories, and it does the following: o execute setup-once o for each test case (unique prefix foo): -- execute setup -- execute foo.setup -- execute the command, by running foo.script, and redirecting standard input to come from foo.stdin, and capturing standard output and error and exit codes -- execute foo.teardown -- execute teardown -- report result of test: does exit code match foo.exit, standard output match foo.stdout, and standard error match foo.stderr? o execute teardown-once Except for foo.script, all of these files are optional. If a setup or teardown script is missing, it is simply not executed. If one of the standard input, output, or error files is missing, it is treated as if it were empty. If the exit code file is missing, it is treated as if it specified an exit code of zero. The shell scripts may use the following environment variables: DATADIR a temporary directory where files may be created by the test TESTNAME name of the current test (will be empty for setup-once and teardown-once) SRCDIR directory from which cmdtest was launched OPTIONS
-c, --command=COMMAND ignored for backwards compatibility --config=FILE add FILE to config files --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-memory-profile=METHOD make memory profiling dumps using METHOD, which is one of: none, simple, meliae, or heapy (default: simple) --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit -k, --keep keep temporary data on failure --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE (default is to not write log files at all); use "syslog" to log to system log --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output -t, --test=TEST run only TEST (can be given many times) --timings report how long each test takes --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLE
To test that the echo(1) command outputs the expected string, create a file called echo-tests/hello.script containing the following con- tent: #!/bin/sh echo hello, world Also create the file echo-tests/hello.stdout containing: hello, world Then you can run the tests: $ cmdtest echo-tests test 1/1 1/1 tests OK, 0 failures If you change the stdout file to be something else, cmdtest will report the differences: $ cmdtest echo-tests FAIL: hello: stdout diff: --- echo-tests/hello.stdout 2011-09-11 19:14:47 +0100 +++ echo-tests/hello.stdout-actual 2011-09-11 19:14:49 +0100 @@ -1 +1 @@ -something else +hello, world test 1/1 0/1 tests OK, 1 failures Furthermore, the echo-tests directory will contain the actual output files, and diffs from the expected files. If one of the actual output files is actually correct, you can actualy rename it to be the expected file. Actually, that's a very convenient way of creating the ex- pected output files: you run the test, fixing things, until you've manually checked the actual output is correct, then you rename the file. SEE ALSO
cliapp(5). CMDTEST(1)