Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX SAN Disk Appearing double in AIX Post 302843858 by rbatte1 on Thursday 15th of August 2013 11:20:48 AM
Old 08-15-2013
What version of AIX are you running? Have you installed the appropriate software to merge the disks together?

We have a 5.1 system that blends together two or more hdisks with the same serial number as a vpath. We use the command lsvpcfg to display what is matched up. We then add the vpath device to the volume group.

Just a snippet:-
Code:
RBATTE1 @ /usr/home/RBATTE1>lsvpcfg
vpath1 (Avail pv db1vg02) 50715182 = hdisk688 (Avail ) hdisk906 (Avail )
vpath2 (Avail pv db1vg02) 50815182 = hdisk689 (Avail ) hdisk907 (Avail )
vpath3 (Avail pv db1vg02) 50915182 = hdisk690 (Avail ) hdisk908 (Avail )
etc.
etc.

RBATTE1 @ /usr/home/RBATTE1>lsvg -p db1vg02 
db1vg02:
PV_NAME           PV STATE          TOTAL PPs   FREE PPs    FREE DISTRIBUTION
vpath1            active            521         3           00..00..00..00..03
vpath2            active            521         1           00..00..00..00..01
vpath3            active            521         1           00..00..00..00..01
vpath4            active            521         1           00..00..00..00..01
vpath5            active            521         1           00..00..00..00..01
vpath6            active            521         1           00..00..00..00..01
vpath7            active            521         1           00..00..00..00..01

If you are newer, then you would need MPIO, which I'm not familiar with, but I think that would blend multiple-path devices into hdisks, so it would seem more normal.

I would also recommend splitting your fibre connections. If you lose a path and feel that you have to replace the fibre card, then you are looking at downtime (well all SAN disks off-line anyway) to do so. If it really is for testing, then splitting would still be a good idea as you could pull a cable and see how it all reacts. Smilie

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

Last edited by rbatte1; 08-15-2013 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: Added the snippet of output

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX disk less with SAN

Hi All, I have mirrored SAN volume on my B80 rootvg. Can I just remove the mirror and "Remove a P V from a V G" and it will be a diskless AIX? Is that going to boot on SAN rootvg volume? Thanks in advance, itik (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

2. AIX

hard disk and san

Hello everyone I got several aix boxes with aix 5.3 I got a ibm san ds4500 My question is How can I do a match between my disks on aix and the san? I try to do a match with the LUN but for example. In my san I got several 1 LUN and on one of my aix box I got this If I type lscfg... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

3. AIX

AIX 5.2/5.3 - rootvg on SAN disk - pros and cons

We are considering a DR strategy of booting AIX 5.3 and 5.3 logical partitions from EMC Symmetrix SAN disks, so that we can replicate via SRDF to a recovery site. Has anyone tried configuring AIX 5.x systems to boot from SAN disk? If so, can you provide any information on the pros and cons of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjgarrot
6 Replies

4. Solaris

SAN disk failure

hi all, have a solaris 9 OS and a SAN disk which used to work fine is not getting picked up by my machine. can anyone point out things to check in order to troubleshoot this ?? thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
3 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

SAN Disk w/o Cluster

Scenario: I've got 2 M5000's connected to a 9985 SAN storage array. I have configured the SAN disks with stmsboot, format and newfs. I can access the same SAN space from both systems. I have created files from both systems on the SAN space. Question: Why can't I see the file created... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SAN and Disk I/O ... do we care?

Hi all, My main function is as a DBA. Another person manages the server and the SAN. I just want to know if I should be worried about high disk I/O or is it irrelevant as the I/O "load balancing" will be "taken care" of by the SAN? For example, I have hdisk1-5 and I can see that there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

7. Solaris

I/O Error on SAN Disk

Hi, I have a production solaris 10 SPARC system (portal). Yesterday legato/Networker gave an I/O Error on one of the files on its SAN mounted disk. I went to that particular file on the system, did an ls and it showed the file. However, ls -l did not work and it said IO error. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
6 Replies

8. AIX

SAN DISK raid level in AIX

Hello All, Our servers having emc clarion for the data disks. Is that possible to see those san disks raid level from AIX ? Am having AIX 6.1 and EMC clarion 5.5. Regards, Gowtham.G (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
3 Replies

9. AIX

San disk appearing double in old AIX

Hi guys, :) I'm a studient in IT field (AIX) I'm trying to map a LUN from a SAN (DS3400) to an AIX server (5300-04-00) I know there is no MPIO on this version of AIX, and i see double my LUN from the SAN root@localhost # lscfg | grep hdisk + hdisk7 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tharsan
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

SAN vs. Local disk.

I am in the market looking to purchase a new E950 server and I am trying to decide between using local SSD drives or SSD based SAN. The application that will be running on this server is read-intensive so I am looking for the most optimal configuration to support this application. There are no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikx
2 Replies
iostat(1)						      General Commands Manual							 iostat(1)

NAME
iostat - report I/O statistics SYNOPSIS
[interval [count]] DESCRIPTION
iteratively reports I/O statistics for each active disk on the system. Disk data is arranged in a four-column format: Column Heading Interpretation -------------------------------------------------- device Device name bps Kilobytes transferred per second sps Number of seeks per second msps Milliseconds per average seek If two or more disks are present, data is presented on successive lines for each disk. To compute this information, seeks, data transfer completions, and the number of words transferred are counted for each disk. Also, the state of each disk is examined times per second (as defined in and a tally is made if the disk is active. These numbers can be combined with the transfer rates of each device to determine average seek times for each device. With the advent of new disk technologies, such as data striping, where a single data transfer is spread across several disks, the number of milliseconds per average seek becomes impossible to compute accurately. At best it is only an approximation, varying greatly, based on several dynamic system conditions. For this reason and to maintain backward compatibility, the milliseconds per average seek field is set to the value 1.0. Options recognizes the following options and command-line arguments: Report terminal statistics as well as disk (or lunpath) statistics. When used with the option, lunpath and terminal statistics are displayed. Terminal statistics include: Number of characters read from terminals. Number of characters written to terminals. Percentage of time system (active processors) has spent in user mode. Percentage of time system (active processors) has spent in user mode running low-priority (nice) processes. Percentage of time system (active processors) has spent in system mode. Percentage of time system (active processors) has spent idling. interval Display successive lines which are summaries of the last interval seconds. The first line reported is for the time since a reboot and each subsequent line is for the last interval only. count Repeat the statistics count times. Report active lunpath statistics. When used with the option, lunpath and terminal statistics are reported. The lunpaths are not displayed in any specific order, and the current order may change in future releases. Lunpath data is arranged in a four-column format: symbolic name of the lunpath of the form: diskm_lunpathn, where m is the instance number of LUN and n is the instance number of lunpath. For example, in disk47_lunpath7, m is 47 and n is 7. These instance numbers are displayed by using the option for the LUN and lunpath entries. For more information on LUN and lunpath hardware path, refer to intro(7). Kilobytes transferred per second. Number of seeks per second. Milliseconds per average seek. For multiple lunpaths, data is presented on successive lines for each active lunpath. If no lunpaths were active, a blank line is printed. EXAMPLES
Show current I/O statistics for all disks: Display I/O statistics for all disks every 10 seconds until INTERRUPT or QUIT is pressed: Display I/O statistics for all disks every 10 seconds and terminate after 5 successive readings: Display I/O statistics for all disks every 10 seconds, also show terminal and processor statistics, and terminate after 5 successive read- ings: Display I/O statistics for all active lunpaths: Display I/O statistics for all active lunpaths every 10 seconds until INTERRUPT or QUIT is pressed: Display I/O statistics for all active lunpaths every 10 seconds, and terminate after 5 successive readings: Display I/O statistics for all active lunpaths every 10 seconds, also show terminal and processor statistics, and terminate after 5 succes- sive readings: WARNINGS
Users of must not rely on the exact field widths and spacing of its output, as these will vary depending on the system, the release of HP- UX, and the data to be displayed. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley, and HP. FILES
SEE ALSO
vmstat(1), ioscan(1M), intro(7). iostat(1)