Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Issue with typeset in Linux
Operating Systems Linux Issue with typeset in Linux Post 302843396 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 13th of August 2013 04:47:26 AM
Old 08-13-2013
The same output for me. What do you see? What shell are you using on the two servers? Can you paste the output from:-
Code:
ps -f
typeset -Z4 currentTime=`date +%H%M`
echo $currentTime

I've changed the typeset to set a 4 character field padded with leading zeros, because I was running this at 09:25 local time to me, so the output I got was just 925. On both AIX and RHEL, I am using ksh, but if I swap to bash (the default for RHEL) then I get the following output using typeset -i:-
Code:
bash: 0928: value too great for base (error token is "0928")

The -Z flag for typeset is not valid for bash. I've not needed it yet, but it would be good to know of a way to acheive the same effect. Smilie When forcing it in, I get:-
Code:
typeset -Z4 my_var
bash: typeset: -Z: invalid option
typeset: usage: typeset [-aAfFilrtux] [-p] name[=value] ...

Smilie

Can you paste what you are seeing please, because I don't have a problem with your code, other than not knowing if it is three or four digits.

Thanks again,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

typeset -f ???

I have found this command *typeset* and the option * -f *, which should provide me the list of all the currently defined functions. Is there any possibility of specifying the file in which this command to search ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xinfinity
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

typeset

Can anyone show me a simple practical usage of typeset. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

typeset-r

Hi All , Can any one help me the meaning of typeset -r Thanks, venkat (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatakotiy
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Typeset

Hi, Can any one please explain me the use of 'typeset' in shell scripting? I donot under stand the use and advantages of using typeset. In one of our script, it is written like typeset VERBOSE NO_UPDATE typeset LOAD_SYBASE_TABLES I donot understand what actually these lines do. As per my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Typeset in HP-UX and Linux

typeset -u xname1=$mname1 is working fine in HP-UX. But it throwing below error in Linux: line 40: typeset: -u: invalid option typeset: usage: typeset name . Please suggest. Thanks, Ambar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambarginni
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Typeset command issue

Hi, As per my understanding typeset wil lmake a variable constant or readonly and -i option will make a variable integer. But please see the below outputs typeset -i abc=000001;echo $abc 1 typeset -i abc=0000010;echo $abc 8 typeset -i abc=00000100;echo $abc 64 typeset -i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Typeset

I don't have man typeset entry in unix. what is the use of typeset command and can you give some examples for that. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Typeset issue

function fxn { echo "target in build_ndm is $target" } function main { target=${server_type} echo "target in main is $target" fxn } In the above the value of target is not being propagated to the function while ideally it should be since typeset variables are visible in sub... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharad.40216
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Typeset is not working in Linux korn shell scripting

Hi All, Kindly help on the below issue ASAP. Its very urgent. I have script in which we have below two lines for code and it is not working. Please help. files_to_process=" abc_*.log def_*.log ghi_*.log " typeset -A dir_list ${files_to_process} the script is failing in Linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tvbhkishore
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple sed command not working; could be a Mac/Linux vs. PC/Linux issue

Hello, I am on a Mac and trying to clean up some monthly files with a very simple SED: sed '3,10d;/<ACROSS>/,$d' input.txt > output.txt (from the input, delete lines 3 - 10; then delete from the line containing <ACROSS> to the end of the file) then output to output.txt Even when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbatim
2 Replies
MESG(1) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   MESG(1)

NAME
mesg - display (do not display) messages from other users SYNOPSIS
mesg [n|y] DESCRIPTION
The mesg utility is invoked by a users to control write access others have to the terminal device associated with the standard error out- put. If write access is allowed, then programs such as talk(1) and write(1) may display messages on the terminal. Traditionally, write access is allowed by default. However, as users become more conscious of various security risks, there is a trend to remove write access by default, at least for the primary login shell. To make sure your ttys are set the way you want them to be set, mesg should be executed in your login scripts. Options available: n Disallows messages. y Permits messages to be displayed. If no arguments are given, mesg displays the present message status to the standard error output. The mesg utility exits with one of the following values: 0 Messages are allowed. 1 Messages are not allowed. >1 An error has occurred. FILES
/dev/[pt]ty[pq]? SEE ALSO
biff(1), talk(1), write(1), wall(1), login(1), xterm(1) HISTORY
A mesg command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The mesg command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Linux 1.2 10 March 1995 MESG(1)