Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tail over rsync data
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tail over rsync data Post 302843381 by rish_max on Tuesday 13th of August 2013 04:06:36 AM
Old 08-13-2013
Tail over rsync data

Hi,
I have written a shell script (that will be called in every 5 seconds) that used rsync to copy logs of our production server from server A(production) to server B (Dev), because we don't allow team members to hit server A.
The shell script is working fine.
But we are facing a problem that command "tail -f <log file name>" on server B is not printing current logs.
But if we continuously re-open it in vi editor we have noticed changes.
Please tell the way how to do that ?
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using tail -f

Working in HP-UX 10.20. I eventually want to write a bourne shell script to handle the following problem, but for now I am just toying with it at the command line. Here's what I am basically trying to do: tail -f log_X | grep n > log_Y I am doing a tail -f on log_X . Once it sees "n", I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail??

Hello all, I have search the forum and could not find an answer...Here is what I am trying to do. Every 15 minutes, a script send uptime output to a logfile (dailylog.log), that file contains lines like the one below: 11:21am up 44 days, 19:15, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.03 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -f

I am trying to extract a particular line from a.log which keeps appending every sec and output that into a newfile b.log which should append itself with filtered data received from a.log I tried tail -f a.log |grep fail| tee -a b.log nothing in b.log tail -f a.log |grep fail >>b.log ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wannalearn
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why tail +n not working?

Hello at my home when i try tail +5 emp it works but when i try in my college it doesn't work! what can be the problem any idea? when i type man tail it gives me various options in which it's mentioned that tail +n can also work when you want to display from nth line. But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rsync data corruption

Dear Peoples I am using the following command to transfer the files inbetween two servers, i am using this command in a crontab for doing it in every 1 hour on all days. rsync --stats --archive --verbose --compress --force --rsh=ssh --exclude-from=/root/cfg/mkt_scn.exclude... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thameema
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data based on match against one column data from a long list data

My input file: data_5 Ali 422 2.00E-45 102/253 140/253 24 data_3 Abu 202 60.00E-45 12/23 140/23 28 data_1 Ahmad 256 7.00E-45 120/235 140/235 22 data_4 Aman 365 8.00E-45 15/65 140/65 20 data_10 Jones 869 9.00E-45 65/253 140/253 18... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files tail on tail

I have 250 files that have 16 columns each - all numbered as follows stat.1000, stat.1001, stat.1002, stat.1003....stat.1250. I would like to join all 250 of them together tail by tail as follows. For example stat.1000 a b c d e f stat.1001 g h i j k l So that my output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from rsync log

Hi I have a daily rsync that runs and i am trying to find a easy way of extracting the start time and end time of the sync and extract the details of how much data was copied. I would like to use this information to see if i can increase the amount of rsyncs that run in a day. so the log... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail +

because the tail +2 on the first line gives me the file name pomga I do not want anything like what I miss tail +2 ejemplo.txt ouput ==> ejemplo.txt <== 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync Error: rsync: link_stat failed: No such file or directory (2)

I wish to copy all the files & folder under /web/Transfer_Files/data/ on mymac1 (Linux) to remote server mybank.intra.com (Solaris 10) /tmp/ location I am using Ansible tool synchronize module which triggers the unix rsync command as below:rsync --delay-updates -F --compress --archive --rsh=ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
MERGELOGS(1)						      General Commands Manual						      MERGELOGS(1)

NAME
mergelogs - merge and consolidate web server logs SYNOPSIS
mergelogs -p penlog [-c] [-d] [-j jitter] [-t seconds] server1:logfile1 [server2:logfile2 ...] EXAMPLES
mergelogs -p pen.log 10.0.0.1:access_log.1 10.0.0.2:access_log.2 mergelogs -p pen.log 10.0.18.6:access_log-10.0.18.6 10.0.18.8:access_log-10.0.18.8 DESCRIPTION
When pen is used to load balance web servers, the web server log file lists all accesses as coming from the host running pen. This makes it more difficult to analyze the log file. To solve this, pen creates its own log file, which contains the real client address, the time of the access, the target server address and the first few bytes of the requests. Mergelogs reads pen's log file and the log files of all load balanced web servers, compares each entry and creates a combined log file that looks as if the web server cluster were a single physical server. Client addresses are replaced with the real client addresses. In the event that no matching client address can be found in the pen log, the server address is used instead. This should never happen, and is meant as a debugging tool. A large number of these indicates that the server system date needs to be set, or that the jitter value is too small. You probably don't want to use this program. Penlog is a much more elegant and functional solution. OPTIONS
-c Do not cache pen log entries. The use of this option is not recommended, as it will make mergelogs search the entire pen log for every line in the web server logs. -d Debugging (repeat for more). -p penlog Log file from pen. -j jitter Jitter in seconds (default 600). This is the maximum variation in time stamps in the pen and web server log files. A smaller value will result in a smaller pen log cache and faster processing, at the risk of missed entries. -t seconds The difference in seconds between the time on the pen server and UTC. For example, this is 7200 (two hours) in Finland. server:logfile Web server address and name of log file. AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 2001-2003 Ulric Eriksson, <ulric@siag.nu>. SEE ALSO
pen(1), webresolve(1), penlog(1), penlogd(1) LOCAL MERGELOGS(1)