Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: VIO SEA Adapters
Operating Systems AIX VIO SEA Adapters Post 302842581 by ibmtech on Friday 9th of August 2013 01:35:20 PM
Old 08-09-2013
Hello there,

lp-hea are the native adapters attached to the Balde itself (they are HEA, and each HEA has 4 Logical ports). We use them, say for the first installation or for servers where you don't want redundancy, they are SPOF (single point of failure) adapters.

Virtual adapters (l-lan), are created at VIOS/client level, we create them at VIO level to define the priority of VIOS and add multiple vlans to it. At client level we create those for it to communicate to outer world.

Physical cable are the actual cables from which the traffic goes in and out of the Blade, without the physical port your virtual adapter at VIO are of no use.

Now coming to SEA (shared ethernet adapter), to create a SEA you need a physical adapter, a virtual adapter (actually two, one with trunking priority, vlans (if you want) and other is called control channel adapter, ctrl chan adapter is the heart beat of SEA). Then the VIO create a new adapter called SEA, remember that SEA will not be visible from HMC, you can only see it when you are in VIO.

If you have SEA, it will be redundant and you can avoid SPOF.
This User Gave Thanks to ibmtech For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

20EE0008 : No adapters found Adapter, Riser, System Bd.

Hello, When I try to upgrade AIX from 5.1 to 5.3 I get this error message 20EE0008 : No adapters found Adapter, Riser, System Bd. Anyone know anything about it ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

2. AIX

vio server and vio client

Hi, I want to know wheather partition size for installation of vio client can be specified on vio server example If I am installing vio server on blade with 2*300gb hard disk,after that I want to create 2 vio client (AIX Operating system) wheather I can specify hard disk size while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Designating Default Gateway for multiple networks/adapters

Hi I have 4 NIC's connected to my RHEL 5.3 server. Two on one subnet creating bond0, and two on a second subnet which create bond1. Both bonds are set to use DHCP to obtain IP addresses. Here is the config file for ifcfg-bond0: DHCP_HOSTNAME=rrnltshckvmx001 DEVICE=bond0 BOOTPROTO=dhcp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Padow
2 Replies

4. AIX

SEA

Hi all, I set up the following configuration on my system: - An LPar with a virtual adapter, first one with a vlan id=703 and id port=13. - The first adapter have to connect to a VIOS in which i configured an SEA. So, the VA is set up on interface ent2, SEA on ent29 (by linking a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: idro
0 Replies

5. AIX

vio server ethernet to vio client ethernet(concepts confusing)

Hi In the vio server when I do # lsattr -El hdisk*, I get a PVID. The same PVID is also seen when I put the lspv command on the vio client partition. This way Im able to confirm the lun using the PVID. Similarly how does the vio client partition gets the virtual ethernet scsi client adapter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Order of Adapters in Windows 7

I am trying to get my boss' ipad to print on our local printers, and rapidly coming to loathe the product. After several false starts I'm attempting to use the free WePrint application, running on a Windows machine, to "forward" our printers from it to the ipad over the local network. I've hit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
2 Replies

7. AIX

VIOS - fibre adapters not seeing luns

Hi guys, I've been trying to tackle this issue for days and I'm stumped. Hopefully someone can give more light on what else I can do. I have a p7 series box, with dual VIOS and 10 lpars and everything was working fine until I had to move the box to another location in the data centre. Ensured... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixkidbee
16 Replies
scconf_transp_adap_ce(1M)				  System Administration Commands				 scconf_transp_adap_ce(1M)

NAME
scconf_transp_adap_ce - configure the ce Sun Ethernet transport adapter DESCRIPTION
Note - Beginning with the Sun Cluster 3.2 release, Sun Cluster software includes an object-oriented command set. Although Sun Cluster software still supports the original command set, Sun Cluster procedural documentation uses only the object-oriented command set. For more infor- mation about the object-oriented command set, see the Intro(1CL) man page. You can configure ce adapters as cluster transport adapters. These adapters can be used with transport types dlpi. The ce adapter is VLAN capable. A ce adapter connects to a transport switch or to another ce adapter on a different node. In either case, the connection is made through a transport cable. When a transport switch is used and the endpoints of the transport cable are configured by using scconf, scinstall, or other tools, you are asked to specify a port name on the transport switch. You can provide any port name, or accept the default, as long as the name is unique for the switch. The default is to set the port name to the node ID hosting the adapter at the other end of the cable. There are no user configurable properties for cluster transport adapters of this type. SEE ALSO
Intro(1CL), clinterconnect(1CL), clnode(1CL), scconf(1M), scinstall(1M), ce(7D) Sun Cluster 3.2 4 May 2006 scconf_transp_adap_ce(1M)