Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare and contrast Perl v Python Post 302842573 by bartus11 on Friday 9th of August 2013 01:12:00 PM
Old 08-09-2013
One advantage of Perl is that it is part of the standard installation of Solaris. It means that there are more scripts/one-liners on unix.com in Perl that might help solve problems you might encounter.

Another thing is what I mentioned in the last sentence: one-liners. Perl can be used as a more powerful replacement for any text manipulation tool in Unix (grep, awk, sed,...). As far as I know it is not possible with Python.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl style i++ in Python

friends Is it possible to implement perl style autoincriment in python? e.g i++ How it can be represented in python Jagan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to Python

Friends How to convert this perl notation to Python ${$$hashptr{$sys_Id}}{$doc_Id} = $docstr; Jagan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Simple Perl/Python Script

I have the following problem, which I need done in Perl/ or Python using Unix/linux filters... 1. You have a very large file, named 'ColCheckMe', tab-delmited, that you are asked to process. You are told that each line in 'ColCheckMe' has 7 columns, and that the values in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Swapnilsagarwal
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Vs Python

Hello all, I am in a bit of dilema here. I want to implement a suite. it involves a lot of text file processing and shell scripts . which one to use perl or python ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
4 Replies

5. Programming

Python: Compare 2 word lists

Hi. I am trying to write a Python programme that compares two different text files which both contain a list of words. Each word has its own line worda wordb wordc I want to compare textfile 2 with textfile 1, and if there's a word in textfile 2 that is NOT in textfile 1, I want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloomy
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl, python, or ? for a particular task

I have a client that needs some data downloaded from a website periodically. The problem is that the data is not available directly (i.e. ftp) and must be accessed via logging in to the site, selecting the data manually, then finally clicking a link to grab the zip file. The site does not have an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunk wugga
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

[Python] Compare 2 lists

Hello, I'm new to the python programming, and I have a question. I have to write a program that prints a receipt for a restaurant. The input is a list which looks like: product1 product3 product8 .... In the other input file there is a list which looks like: product1 coffee 5,00... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dagendy
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python/Perl/Shell ??

Hi All, I'm confused what to use (Python/Perl/Shell), I have a scenario here wherein i need to process a data which might have millions of records in tabular format, my task is to find the {0,null,NA} in each and every column and also inform the end user that this column has this many values... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone convert this python script to perl

There is a python script that I would like converted to a perl script. If someone has the time to convert the script I would appreciate it. You can find the script below: reboot-mb8600/reboot-mb8600.py at master . j4m3z0r/reboot-mb8600 . GitHub #!/usr/bin/python ''' A hacky script to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: azdps
1 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)