Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep Alias
Operating Systems Linux Grep Alias Post 302841871 by rbatte1 on Thursday 8th of August 2013 05:10:01 AM
Old 08-08-2013
Could I suggest that you use the functions of the shell to work with patterns. Something like this would sort your issue:-
Code:
ps -ef | grep -i nt[p]

The string actually searched for is ntp but your process doesn't look like that, so it is excluded.

The expansion rules will define the [p] bit as a range of characters of, um, well the letter p only. It's a one character range as opposed to:-
Code:
ps -ef | grep nt[a-z]

which will give you all processes containing any of the the strings nta, ntb, ntc, ntd, nte......

I hope that this helps,
Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

using alias...

hi.. i want to make an alias in unix, for using it to change of directory by example: if i am in /dtmp/inp/aux and i want to go to /sybase/bd, i want to make an alias named "bd", to go directally to /sybase/bd (alias bd="cd /sybase/bd") i create it, but when i turn off the conection... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

alias help

i want to use short cut alias command but its not happening can any on help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafique
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias

how implement functionality alias in the same way as in csh? (use Bourne type sh or bash) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunhata
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Alias

Hi, I have a software package consisting of a group of BASH shell scripts. There is a master script which calls a series of subscripts. To run the software users must open the master script, modify and save it, and then run it. To open the script you can either double-click on it, or you can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using alias

I need to login to one server and then switch the user and set a number alias. But i cant modify the .profile file. I have one script avi1.sh $ more avi.sh sudo su - bil sh avi1.sh and in home directory of bil i have avi1.sh that says $ more avi1.sh alias l='ls -ltr' alias b='cd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackeyed
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias help

I can get the nth line of a file using sed -n 'np' file however all I want to type is "line n file" so I am trying to use alias alias line='sed -n \'&\'' but its not working, how can I make this work Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjones
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Having trouble creating an alias for grep

Hi, I'm using Mac 10.9.1. I would like to create an alias for grep so that it won't print out messages like "grep: /Users/davea/workspace/myproject/subdir/: Is a directory" all the time. So in my terminal, I opened ~/.profile and entered alias grep='grep -s' However, when I close and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laredotornado
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)