Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Detecting new entries in log files Post 302841185 by ryandegreat25 on Wednesday 7th of August 2013 05:24:34 AM
Old 08-07-2013
thanks. modification time is a good indication of something was updated. but i need to fetch the new entries and process it which stat cannot do.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

detecting drives

I know that Unix is different from windows in that it needs more manual configuring but how do I get Solaris 8 (Intel version) to recognize my floppy drive and cd-rom?? I mean does it automatically detect the drives at startup and I have to mount them or do I have to create the drives somehow and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Detecting Second disk

Hello all, first of all, I apologise if I may ask stupid or obvious questions, but I'm new to UNIX and I think I need a little bit of help before I start gearing up :) Anyway, I have installed a Solaris 8 on a Sun machine, and it has 2 physical disks in it. However, it seems that it is only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragunu
7 Replies

3. Programming

Detecting interruptions in C

Hi. You may know how to detect when a interruption succeeded programming in C. Just like receiving a signal without blocking. Knowing when it was a keystroke (IRQ 2), or a mouse movement (12), or a disk access, etc. and getting actually for example the letter typed. Thanks a lot. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashrentum
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detecting incoming files without busy polling

Hello, I'd like to handle incoming (uploaded) files from a shell script, ideally without busy polling / waiting (e.g. running a cron task every 15'). Is there a command that would just sleep until a new entry has been created in a directory, allowing scripts such as the following: while... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: baldyeti
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in detecting errors

Hi All , I need a script to find errors in a particular and in a particular path Actually in my logs i`ve so many kinds of errors(i can even say as 100 types also).if i run the script i need to know the error (some errors can aviod ) so finally the script o/p should be a numeric... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radha254
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detecting dates in foldernames

Hi, I will name folders this way : DD-MM-YYYY (07-06-2011 for today). DATE=`date +%d-%m-%Y` mkdir $DATE They will contain a backup of the day. I want, in my backup script, add a command that will automatically delete folders that are a week old (in this case, when performing the backup of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Always
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files. when logfiles are very big and especially many messages with in few minutes, I would like to display log messages between 5 minute interval. Could you pls give me the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

8. Fedora

Missing entries in log files just before/after reboot

Hello world, One of the servers, a Fedora one,rebooted today (Luckily, a testbox). I tried to get the reason the server rebooted. After going through the messages, I think that the log entries just before and after reboot are missing. Please below: (****** is the server name, for privacy... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish51392111
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor log entries in log files with no Date format? - Efficient logcheck?

is there a way to efficiently monitor logfiles that do not have a date or time format? i have several logs on several different servers that need to be monitored. but i realized writing a script for this would be very complex and time consuming giving the variety of things i need to check for i.e.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting log files to null writing junk into log files

Redirecting log files to null writing junk into log files. i have log files which created from below command exec <processname> >$logfile but when it reaches some size i am redirecting to null while process is running like >$logfile manually but after that it writes some junk into... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
7 Replies
utime(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  utime(3)

Name
       utime - set file times

Syntax
       #include <sys/types.h>
       int utime (path, times)
       char *path;
       struct utimbuf *times;

Description
       The path points to a pathname naming a file.  The function sets the access and modification times of the named file.

If  times  is  NULL, the access and modification times of the file are set to the current time.	A process must be the owner of the file or
       have write permission to use in this manner.

If times is not NULL, times is interpreted as a pointer to a utimbuf structure and the access and modification times are set to the  values
       contained in the designated structure.  Only the owner of the file or the super-user can use this way.

The function causes the time of the last file status change(st_ctime) to be updated with the current time.

The times in the following structure are measured in seconds since 00:00:00 GMT, January 1, 1970.
       struct  utimbuf	{
	       time_t  actime;	  /* access time */
	       time_t  modtime;   /* modification time */
       };

Return Values
       Upon successful completion, a value of zero (0) is returned.  Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned, and errno is set to indicate the error.

Diagnostics
       The function fails, if any of the following is true:

[EACCES]       Search permission is denied by a component of the path prefix.

[EACCES]       The effective user ID is not super-user, not the owner of the file, times is NULL, and write access is denied.

[EFAULT]       The times is not NULL and points outside the process's allocated address space.

[EFAULT]       The path points outside the process's allocated address space.

[ENOENT]       The named file does not exist or path points to an empty string and the environment defined is POSIX or SYSTEM_FIVE.

[ENOTDIR]      A component of the path prefix is not a directory.

[EPERM]	      The effective user ID is not a super-user, not the owner of the file, and times is not NULL.

[EROFS]	      The file system containing the file is mounted read-only.

[ETIMEDOUT]    A connect request or remote file operation failed, because the connected party did not respond after a period of time deter-
		      mined by the communications protocol.

See Also
       stat(2)

utime(3)