Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Optimizing awk script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Optimizing awk script Post 302840103 by SkySmart on Sunday 4th of August 2013 12:45:50 PM
Old 08-04-2013
Code:
file=$(awk 'BEGIN{split(ARGV[1],var,",");print var[1]}' $line)

you are right jim. my original code is very far from being efficient. the command above can probably replace it with ease.

i cant seem to think in awk, even though i prefer that over any other languages. i'm more comfortable with bash but i really want awk to do this.

in the code i quoted, i'm interested in the second field, which is the line number. and i need to be able to store the values of the count of the search terms, the new total line number of the each file. and then send that information to another file.

thinking in bash, any one who knows anything about scripting can figure out exactly what im doing here very easily.

Code:
while read line
do
        searchterm="${1}"
        datecurr=$(date  +%s)
        file=$(awk 'BEGIN{split(ARGV[1],var,",");print var[1]}' $line)
        llnum=$(awk 'BEGIN{split(ARGV[1],var,",");print var[2]}' $line)
        termcount=$(awk -v llnum=${llnum} 'NR>llnum' $file | egrep -c "${searchterm}")
        newfilelinecount=$(wc -l $file)
        echo "${file},${newfilelinecount},${termcount},${datecurr}" >> /tmp/log.txt_2
done < log.txt

to translate this to an efficient awk program is where i need serious help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing for a Speed-up

How would one go about optimizing this current .sh program so it works at a more minimal time. Such as is there a better way to count what I need than what I have done or better way to match patterns in the file? Thanks, #declare variables to be used. help=-1 count=0 JanCount=0 FebCount=0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: switch
3 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

Optimizing query

Hi All, My first thread to this sub-forum and first thread of this sub-forum :) Here it is, Am trying to delete duplicates from a table retaining just 1 duplicate value out of the duplicate records for example : from n records of a table out of which x are duplicates, I want to remove x... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
15 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Optimizing OSX

Hi forum, I'm administrating a workstation/server for my lab and I was wondering how to optimize OSX. I was wondering what unnecessary background tasks I could kick off the system so I free up as much memory and cpu power. Other optimization tips are also welcome (HD parameters, memory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deiphon
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help optimizing this piece of code (Shell script Busybox)

I am looking for suggestions on how I could possibly optimized that piece of code where most of the time is spend on this script. In a nutshell this is a script that creates an xml file(s) based on certain criteria that will be used by a movie jukebox. Example of data: $SORTEDTMP= it is a... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: snappy46
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing the code

Hi, I have two files in the format listed below. I need to find out all values from field 12 to field 20 present in file 2 and list them in file3(format as file2) File1 : FEIN,CHRISTA... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing bash script

any way the following code can be optimized? FIRSTIN=$( HKIPP=$(echo ${TMFR} | egrep -v "mo|MO|Mo" | egrep "m |M ") HRAMH=$(echo ${TMFR} | egrep "h|H") HRAMD=$(echo ${TMFR} | egrep "d|D") HRAMW=$(echo ${TMFR} | egrep "w|W") HKIPPO=$(echo ${TMFR} |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing for loop with awk or anything similar and portable

The variable COUNTPRO contains: COUNTPRO='Error__posting__message__to__EMR__Queue=0 Error__parsing__ReceiptSummary=0 xinetd__=4327 HTTP__1_1__500___=0 START__=2164 Marshaller__exception__while__converting__to__Receipt__xml=0 MessagePublisher__is__not__configured__correctly=0... (9 Replies)
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing script to reduce execution time

AFILENAME=glow.sh FILENAME="/${AFILENAME}" WIDTHA=$(echo ${FILENAME} | wc -c) NTIME=0 RESULTS=$(for eachletter in $(echo ${FILENAME} | fold -w 1) do WIDTHTIMES=$(awk "BEGIN{printf... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing the Shell Script [Expert Advise Needed]

I have prepared a shell script to find the duplicates based on the part of filename and retain latest. #!/bin/bash if ; then mkdir -p dup fi NOW=$(date +"%F-%H:%M:%S") LOGFILE="purge_duplicate_log-$NOW.log" LOGTIME=`date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"` echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gold2k8
6 Replies

10. Web Development

Optimizing JS and CSS

Yes. Got few suggestions. - How about minifying resources - mod_expires - Service workers setup https://www.unix.com/attachments/web-programming/7709d1550557731-sneak-preview-new-unix-com-usercp-vuejs-demo-screenshot-png (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
8 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)