Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Array Count and Array Copy help Post 302839109 by Corona688 on Wednesday 31st of July 2013 11:27:00 AM
Old 07-31-2013
You realize you can't quote quotes, right?

You realize shell doesn't have //-style comments, right?

Your entire program is severely confused. What, exactly, is your goal here? And don't say 'assign an array to another array', tell me why you're assigning an array to another array... I suspect you're severely confused, there are probably much, much more direct ways to do what you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Creating an array to hold posix thread ids: Only dynamic array works

I am facing a strange error while creating posix threads: Given below are two snippets of code, the first one works whereas the second one gives a garbage value in the output. Snippet 1 This works: -------------- int *threadids; threadids = (int *) malloc (num_threads * sizeof(int)); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmehta
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Array copy in ksh

Hi all, Following code in ksh is giving error: fileLimit=5 func(){ dir="$1" format="$2" array="$3" i=0 ls -lrt $format | tail -${fileLimit} | while read f_det; do files="${f_det}," ((i+=1)) done eval $(echo set -A $array '"${files}"') } func "." "*.pl" "a" echo... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PRKS
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner: Count & Sort Using Array's

Hi, I'm new to linux & bash so please forgive my ignorance, just wondering if anyone can help. I have a file (mainfile.txt) with comma deliminated values, like so: $1 $2 $3 613212, 36, 57 613212, 36, 10 613212, 36, 10 677774, 36, 57 619900, 10, 10 i need to split this file... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTOE
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Read an array and write to another array with intial string pattern checks

I have an array and two variables as below, I need to check if $datevar is present in $filename. If so, i need to replace $filename with the values in the array. I need the output inside an ARRAY How can this be done. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 3.2 - Array / Regex - IF 3rd member in array ends in 5 digits then do somthing...

Trying to do some control flow parsing based on the index postion of an array member. Here is the pseudo code I am trying to write in (preferably in pure bash) where possible. I am thinking regex with do the trick, but need a little help. pesudo code if == ENDSINFIVEINTS ]]; then do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
4 Replies

6. Programming

Array[count+1] legal?

I get weird decimal digits when I run the program below. int coe_amount; cout << "How many coefficients exist in your term? "; cin >> coe_amount; float coefficient; for (int count = 0; count < coe_amount; count ++) { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DyslexicChciken
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash arrays: rebin/interpolate smaller array to large array

hello, i need a bit of help on how to do this effectively in bash without a lot of extra looping or massive switch/case i have a long array of M elements and a short array of N elements, so M > N always. M is not a multiple of N. for case 1, I want to stretch N to fit M arrayHuge H = (... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk: count unique element of array

Hi, tab-separated input: blabla_1 A,B,C,C blabla_2 A,E,G blabla_3 R,Q,A,B,C,R,Q output: blabla_1 3 blabla_2 3 blabla_3 5 After splitting $2 in an array, I am trying to store the number of unique elements in a variable, but have some difficulties resetting the variable to 0 before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of unique values in each column of array

What is an efficient way of counting the number of unique values in a 400 column by 1000 row array and outputting the counts per column, assuming the unique values in the array are: A, B, C, D In other words the output should look like: Value COL1 COL2 COL3 A 50 51 52... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geneanalyst
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy of array by index value fails

Hello, I have a complicated situational find and replace that I wrote in bash because I didn't know how to do everything in awk. The code works but is very slow, as expected. To create my modified file, I am looping through an array that was populated earlier and making some replacements at... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
6 Replies
ARRAY_PAD(3)								 1							      ARRAY_PAD(3)

array_pad - Pad array to the specified length with a value

SYNOPSIS
array array_pad (array $array, int $size, mixed $value) DESCRIPTION
array_pad(3) returns a copy of the $array padded to size specified by $size with value $value. If $size is positive then the array is padded on the right, if it's negative then on the left. If the absolute value of $size is less than or equal to the length of the $array then no padding takes place. It is possible to add at most 1048576 elements at a time. PARAMETERS
o $array - Initial array of values to pad. o $size - New size of the array. o $value - Value to pad if $array is less than $size. RETURN VALUES
Returns a copy of the $array padded to size specified by $size with value $value. If $size is positive then the array is padded on the right, if it's negative then on the left. If the absolute value of $size is less than or equal to the length of the $array then no padding takes place. EXAMPLES
Example #1 array_pad(3) example <?php $input = array(12, 10, 9); $result = array_pad($input, 5, 0); // result is array(12, 10, 9, 0, 0) $result = array_pad($input, -7, -1); // result is array(-1, -1, -1, -1, 12, 10, 9) $result = array_pad($input, 2, "noop"); // not padded ?> SEE ALSO
array_fill(3), range(3). PHP Documentation Group ARRAY_PAD(3)