Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Nohup not working as expected Post 302839035 by sebcou on Wednesday 31st of July 2013 07:35:25 AM
Old 07-31-2013
Nohup not working as expected

Hi. I am trying to start a script on my router that will execute even if i log off. To execute the script I write:

nohup ./dslconnection > dslstat.out 2>&1 &

It starts the job:
21968 admin 1604 S /bin/ash ./dslconnection

The problem is that when I log back in the job has been terminated.

To debug I tried the same thing with ping.
nohup ping 192.168.1.91 > dslstat.out 2>&1 &

This worked and ping was still executed when I logged back in.

The script I want to run is below. Any ideas of what could be the problem??

Code:
#!/bin/ash
statusname=0
while true
 do
        laststatus=$statusname
        ping -c 1 -W 1 www.google.se > /dev/null
        statusname=$?
        if [ "$statusname" -ne "$laststatus" ]; then
           date
           if [ "$statusname" -eq 0 ]; then
                  echo Google is reachable
           else
                  echo Google unreachable
           fi
        fi
    sleep 10
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

which not working as expected

Hello. Consider the following magic words: # ls `which adduser` ls: /usr/sbin/adduser: No such file or directory # Hmmm... Then: # ls /usr/sbin/adduser /usr/sbin/adduser # Now what? Unforunately this little sniippet is used in my debian woody server's mysql pre install script.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: osee
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls not working as expected within ksh

Hi, I use the command ls a\b\c\*.txt from the command line on HP UNIX and it works fine - It lists all files matching *.txt in the a\b\c directory When embeded in a ksh script `ls a\b\c\*.txt` it does not work - I get *.txt not found (even though there are files) I tried... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
10 Replies

3. Solaris

nohup not working

Hi, I am working in SunOS 5.8. I wanted to run a script in background and I gave the following command, but it is not working. I gave "nohup ksh ULOAD.ksh &" It just came out giving a msg "Redirection or piping of stdin or stdout is allowed only with -b. (156)" in nohup.out file. If I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsheshadri
2 Replies

4. Solaris

NOHUP not working

Hello All, Here is a problem of NOHUP. I am trying to run a process which needs to be up and running even if the session is closed. I tried running it with "nohup", but starngely it is not working, when i exit from the session the process is also getting killed? plz help me in finding out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivamasam
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why this is not working in expected way?

total=0 seq 1 5 | while read i ; do total=$(($total+$i)) echo $total done echo $totalThis outputs: 1 3 6 10 15 0whereas I am expecting: 1 3 6 10 15 15My bash version: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meharo
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

-atime not working as expected

I need to sort through a volume that contains video files by access time and delete files that have not been accessed over x days. I have to use the access time as video files are originals that do not get modified, just read Testing commands on a local test folder... $ date Wed Sep 28... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: canon273
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

nohup not working

Hi all, I wrote a scirpt (abc.sh) in which I defined a loop with an interval equal to 1 hour. I want this script continue to run when I close the terminal, so I ran the following command, (in the proper directory) nohup abc.sh However the script doesn't just keep running when I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isaacniu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script not working with nohup

Hello, I am trying to run a shell script with the nohup command. The shell script takes an array of files, runs a python program on each file in a loop, and appends the output to a file. This works fine on the server, but if I try to use the nohup command it does not work. --- #!/bin/sh... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricitron
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop nohup which is working background

Please I have run a background script using nohup please tell me way to stop this. Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumakhij
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nohup not give expected output. Non-stop running process

Hello, I am trying to make a bash script, I tested nohup but it did not help me. My code is: ffmpeg -i $input_url -c:v copy -c:a copy -listen 1 -f mpegts http://localhost:port/live/test When I open it in VLC, it starts feeding my screen and I see bitrate values. When I stop watching it,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
4 Replies
STARTFLUXBOX(1) 						  Fluxbox Manual						   STARTFLUXBOX(1)

NAME
startfluxbox - start a fluxbox session SYNOPSIS
startfluxbox DESCRIPTION
startfluxbox is a script which runs the file ~/.fluxbox/startup If it doesn't exist it will be generated. startfluxbox should be started from your ~/.xinitrc if you use startx, or ~/.xsession if you run a display manager, like xdm. FILES
~/.fluxbox/startup This file contains all commands that should be executed before fluxbox is started. The initial file contains helpful comments for beginners. It also starts fluxbox. EXAMPLES
The default ~/.fluxbox/startup is as follows: #!/bin/sh # # fluxbox startup-script: # # Lines starting with a '#' are ignored. # Change your keymap: xmodmap "$HOME/.Xmodmap" # Applications you want to run with fluxbox. # MAKE SURE THAT APPS THAT KEEP RUNNING HAVE AN ''&'' AT THE END. # # unclutter -idle 2 & # wmnd & # wmsmixer -w & # idesk & # And last but not least we start fluxbox. # Because it is the last app you have to run it with ''exec'' before it. exec fluxbox # or if you want to keep a log: # exec fluxbox -log "$fluxdir/log" If you need to start applications after fluxbox, you can change the exec fluxbox line above to something like this: exec fluxbox & fbpid=$! sleep 1 { xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr -fg white -bg black & ipager & gkrellm2 & } & wait $fbpid So xsetroot, ipager, and gkrellm2 will all be started after fluxbox, after giving fluxbox 1 second to startup. For more details on what else you can do in this script, see sh(1), or the documentation for your shell. AUTHORS
The author of startfluxbox(1) is Han Boetes <han at fluxbox.org> This manpage was converted to asciidoc format by Jim Ramsay <i.am at jimramsay.com> for fluxbox-1.1.2 SEE ALSO
fluxbox(1) AUTHOR
Jim Ramsay <i.am@jimramsay.com> Author. startfluxbox.txt 28 October 2011 STARTFLUXBOX(1)