Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Memory Usage(Physical) in one Word? Suse Linux. Post 302837675 by Corona688 on Friday 26th of July 2013 11:38:20 AM
Old 07-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcox
I'm not saying there isn't a problem. But since you are putting up HP-UX as (implied) a system done "right"... I think you should help supply something that illustrates the problem you are seeing.
I agree with MIG that it'd be a useful feature. I have seen situations in Linux where a short-running program which does a lot of I/O turfs out all the 'good' cache with data that's not going to be needed again; the system takes a little bit to recover and get frequently-used things back in memory. This isn't a Linux problem, it's a problem with the LRU algorithm in general, 'recently used' is not always a good benchmark for which things to keep.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Linux memory usage

What's the best way to find out how much memory is being used/available? I tried using free, but I didn't quite understand the output. Can someone explain it? $ free total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 16304536 16256376 48160 0 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: junkmail426
6 Replies

2. Solaris

RAM Physical Memory usage by each Process.

Hi All, I am trying to find the physical memory usage by each process/users. Can you please let me know how to get the memory usage?. Thanks, bsraj. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsrajirs
12 Replies

3. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory Usage on Linux server

Hi , As I am new to Linux server, I am facing some doubts like: On linux server virtual memory usage goes to 99%, but I have Threshold limit of 95%. So it crossed the threshold limit and alarmd. Yesterday I moniterd the server using TOP command, and found some of Tibco process was consuming... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jaywantmm
1 Replies

5. Linux

Memory Usage on Linux server

Hi , As I am new to Linux server, I am facing some doubts like: On linux server virtual memory usage goes to 99%, but I have Threshold limit of 95%. So it crossed the threshold limit and alarmd. Yesterday I moniterd the server using TOP command, and found some of Tibco process was consuming... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaywantmm
4 Replies

6. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 5.3 Physical Memory usage

Hi, I have AIX 5.3TL8 two node cluster using HACMP and have 10g database using RAW devices. I am seeing gradual increase in comp% memory everyday and it reaches 100% and evicts the node, we had 4 evictions in 40days. I am pasting vmstat and vmo output, anyone seen this issue? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navin7386
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory Usage Monitor on Linux/SunOS Servers

ok, so i'm trying to write a shell script (not perl) that monitors memory usage on a server. but i'm confused as to what fields exactly determines that yes, memory is low on a particular server. it sounds simple enough, but it really isn't. what do I look for in the field below? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Swap memory usage is high in Linux

Hi , There is one following alert . Message : cdm:Average (2 samples) swap memory usage is now 91%, which is above the warning threshold (90%) Here is my findings. Output of TOP command in Linux server. top - 14:21:44 up 6 days, 4:48, 1 user, load average: 2.55, 2.06,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Application Memory usage

Hello We are in the process of migrating few of our applications in our linux boxes to new linux box to streamline our applications . In this context , i would like to know how we can calculate a particular application is used .? This data will then be used to select which applications need... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron5174
7 Replies
MemInfo(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						MemInfo(3)

Sys::MemInfo - Memory informations

SYNOPSIS
use Sys::MemInfo qw(totalmem freemem totalswap); print "total memory: ".(&totalmem / 1024)." "; print "free memory: ".(&freemem / 1024)." "; print "total swap: ".(&totalswap / 1024)." "; print "free swap: ".(Sys::MemInfo::get("freeswap") / 1024)." "; DESCRIPTION
Sys::MemInfo return the total amount of free and used physical memory in bytes in totalmem and freemem variables. Total amount of free and user swap memory are alse returned in totalswap and freeswap variables. This module has been tested on Linux 2.6.10, UnixWare 7.1.2, AIX5, OpenBSD 3.8, NetBSD 2.0.2, FreBSD 5.4, HPUX11, Solaris 9, Tru64 5.1, Irix 6.5, Mac OS X 10.2 darwin and Windows XP. It should work on FreeBSD 4 and Windows 9X/ME/NT/200X/Vista. METHODS
availkeys Return list of all accessor keys (freemem, totalmem, etc.) This is useful for dumping out all known information from the object by calling get() on all of the returned keys. freemem Returns free physical memory in bytes. freeswap Returns free swap space in bytes. get Returns the value of the passed key. totalmem Returns total physical memory size in bytes. totalswap Returns total swap space in bytes. AUTHOR
Sylvain Cresto <scresto@gmail.com> Thanks to Laurent Dufour and Wilson Snyder. BUGS
Please send bug-reports to scresto@gmail.com LICENCE
This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Lesser General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005, 2006 - Sylvain Cresto perl v5.16.3 2006-11-09 MemInfo(3)