Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search for / and insert \ for every instance Post 302837427 by deadyetagain on Thursday 25th of July 2013 06:07:38 PM
Old 07-25-2013
one more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
Code:
sed 's#\/#\\\/#g'

OR
Code:
sed 's#\/#\\&#g'

If i want to assign post result in shell script as:
assigning the literal string to a variable ..

echo $VERSION | sed 's#\/#\\\/#g' > $MOD_VERSION

What's the way to make that work?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed search and insert

how can i modify a file using sed when searching for a pattern and insert newline after the pattern? pattern example: $ ...(any characters)...$ $ may082001.../tmp/msg.001,,$ REPT CLEAR ALARMS ON UNIT 1 $ may082001.../tmp/msg.002,,$ UNIT 1 IN SERVICE into: $... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apalex
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and insert between Pattrens...

Hi Every One... I wanted to inserted a line in between matched pattrens.. Ex... InPut File.. WRITEQ TS ************************** aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb cccccccccccccccccccccccc SOME PATTREN's RESP ( WS-RESP ) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace first instance(not first instance in line)

Alright, I think I know what I am doing with sed(which probably means I don't). But I cant figure out how to replace just the first occurance of a string. I have tried sed, ed, and grep but can't seem to figure it out. If you have any suggestions I am open to anything! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IronHorse7
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the last instance of a string in a file

I have a big database log file which keepsgrowing daily. OS is HP UX. Here is a small part of it: Tue Jan 27 04:03:22 2009 : add session begin for mfgeb on /dev/pts/th. : Converting relative path to absolute path. : add session end. Tue Jan 27 04:03:29... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh1178
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - search for string and insert line above

Hi,, Please excuse my lack of knowledge here. I think I am tring to do something fairly advanced yet am a bit of a beginner..... I want to use a korn shell (as is the norm with others in my company) to write a script to search a file for a string and insert some text above that line. Sudo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: HugoDarley
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for last instance of word in a file

Hi I'm trying to search for the last instance of the word 'cache' in a HTML file that I have downloaded from YouTube. I'm using the following syntax, but an error is thrown when I try it. grep -f "cache" Also I wish to append the above grep command to the below so that the search for cache... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: colmbell
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: how to limit pattern search to first instance only

I need to reduce a file's size below 50MB by deleting chucks of text. The following sed does this. sed '/^begpattern/,/endpattern/d' myfile However, it's possible that the file size can get below 50MB by just deleting the first instance of the pattern. How do I code that into sed? Or can awk... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariod1049
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search text file, then grep next instance of string

I need to be able to search for a beginning line header, then use grep or something else to get the very next instance of a particular string, which will ALWAYS be in "Line5". What I have is some data that appears like this: Line1 Line2 Line3 Line4 Line5 Line6 Line7 Line1 Line2 ...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akilleez
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Insert

Hi All I got one problem and want your help,what i want to do is Input 123 key0=A;B;C;:key1=X;Y;Z;: here 123 is a username I should search the username (in this case it is 123) in file and if found it should insert the additional string D as below Here 123 and key are tab seperated ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Insert

I have a following file: # User defined in group admin = boss, sysadmin phpteam = php1, php2, php3 rubyteam = ruby1, ruby2 # SVN root should only be access by boss and system admin @admin = rw * = # Main web repository should only be access by boss and system admin, others... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankur328
3 Replies
elf_getarhdr(3E)														  elf_getarhdr(3E)

NAME
elf_getarhdr - retrieve archive member header SYNOPSIS
[flag... ] file... [library] ... DESCRIPTION
returns a pointer to an archive member header, if one is available for the ELF descriptor elf. Otherwise, no archive member header exists, an error occurred, or elf was null; then returns a null value. The header includes the following members. char *ar_name; time_t ar_date; long ar_uid; long ar_gid; unsigned long ar_mode; off_t ar_size; char *ar_rawname; An archive member name, available through is a null-terminated string, with the format control characters removed. The member holds a null-terminated string that represents the original name bytes in the file, including the terminating slash and trailing blanks as speci- fied in the archive format. In addition to ``regular'' archive members, the archive format defines some special members. All special member names begin with a slash distinguishing them from regular members (whose names may not contain a slash). These special members have the names defined below. This is the archive symbol table. If present, it will be the first archive member. A program may access the archive symbol table through The information in the symbol table is useful for random archive processing (see elf_rand(3E)). This member, if present, holds a string table for long archive member names. An archive member's header contains a 16-byte area for the name, which may be exceeded in some file systems. The library automatically retrieves long member names from the string table, setting to the appropriate value. Under some error conditions, a member's name might not be available. Although this causes the library to set to a null pointer, the member will be set as usual. SEE ALSO
ar(4), elf(3E), elf_begin(3E), elf_getarsym(3E), elf_rand(3E). elf_getarhdr(3E)