Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search for a pattern that is in the middle of the line. Post 302834345 by jawaugh on Thursday 18th of July 2013 06:01:24 PM
Old 07-18-2013
Thanks rdrtx1 for your reply. But it didn't work. The issue is sometimes the number of spaces differs like below.

*<>soft<><><> nofile<> 12000 (or) *<><>soft<>nofile<><><><>12000 (or) *soft<><><><> nofile<><> 12000. So i've to ignore the spaces somehow and look for the pattern "soft nofile" and then remove the whole line.

Note : <> refers to a space.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in part of the line

Hi guys, I need to search for a particular pattern within the first 5 chars of the line. If the pattern is found then output the whole line. Unfortunately grep only searches the whole line For example if i am searching for aaaaa in these lines aaaaabbbbbccccc bbbbbcccccaaaaa grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pineapples
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

modify a particular pattern starting from second line of the search pattern

Hi, I am new to this forum and i would like to get help in this issue. I have a file 1.txt as shown: apple banana orange apple grapes banana orange grapes orange .... Now i would like to search for pattern say apple or orange and then put a # at the beginning of the pattern... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: imas
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

modify a particular pattern starting from second line of the search pattern

Hi, I think you ppl did not get my question correctly, let me explain I have 1.txt with following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433 ** ** ** In file 2.txt I have the following entries as shown: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: imas
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the line within the search pattern

Hi Guys, I had file as typedef struct { char TrailerType1; char TrailerTxt1; }Trailer; typedef struct { char PfigMoneyType; char PfigMoneyvalue; }PfigMoney; i need to print the lines within the search pattern. if i give the search pattern as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manosubsulo
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep line pattern search

Hello everyone, I have been trying to get a list of all files containing a line of this type: };#followed by anything with any spaces (0 or more or 0 or more tabs) before the } and between each of the characters. I have been trying this : grep '*}*;*#*' *.c but I have not been fully... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio001
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a pattern and replace the whole line

Hi All, I have a requirement where I have to find a pattern in a file and comment the whole line containing the search pattern. Any ideas in shell is welcome. Thanks in advance, Regards, Arun (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maffy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

search more than one pattern with perl on same line

Hi friends, I want to search for some hex error codes in some files. After the hex error code is found, the occurences would be counted. Afterwards the found hex errorcode would be cat into a separate file. Here is my code: #!/usr/bin/perl use File::Basename; my $find = $ARGV; my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdohn
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search pattern and add that pattern in next line

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting and need help in scripting using CSH. Here is what I am trying to so, 1. Search a specific string e.g. "task" from "task (input1, out1)". 2. Extract the arguements "input1" and "out1" 3. Add them in separate lines below. eg. "int input1" , " integer out1" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deshiashish
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a pattern and add new line below

Hi, I have 2 files like below. File A: apple mango File B: start abc def apple ghi end start cba fed (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a pattern in a line and remove another pattern

Hi, I want to search a pattern in a text file and remove another pattern in that file. my text file look like this 0.000000 1.970000 F 303 - 1.970000 2.080000 VH VH + 2.080000 2.250000 VH VH + 2.250000 2.330000 VH L - 2.330000 2.360000 F H + 2.360000 2.410000 L VL - 2.410000 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejithalokkan
6 Replies
PRLIMIT(1)							   User Commands							PRLIMIT(1)

NAME
prlimit - get and set process resource limits SYNOPSIS
prlimit [options] [--resource[=limits] [--pid PID] prlimit [options] [--resource[=limits] command [argument...] DESCRIPTION
Given a process ID and one or more resources, prlimit tries to retrieve and/or modify the limits. When command is given, prlimit will run this command with the given arguments. The limits parameter is composed of a soft and a hard value, separated by a colon (:), in order to modify the existing values. If no lim- its are given, prlimit will display the current values. If one of the values is not given, then the existing one will be used. To specify the unlimited or infinity limit (RLIM_INFINITY), the -1 or 'unlimited' string can be passed. Because of the nature of limits, the soft limit must be lower or equal to the high limit (also called the ceiling). To see all available resource limits, refer to the RESOURCE OPTIONS section. soft:hard Specify both limits. soft: Specify only the soft limit. :hard Specify only the hard limit. value Specify both limits to the same value. GENERAL OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. --noheadings Do not print a header line. -o, --output list Define the output columns to use. If no output arrangement is specified, then a default set is used. Use --help to get a list of all supported columns. -p, --pid Specify the process id; if none is given, the running process will be used. --raw Use the raw output format. --verbose Verbose mode. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RESOURCE OPTIONS
-c, --core[=limits] Maximum size of a core file. -d, --data[=limits] Maximum data size. -e, --nice[=limits] Maximum nice priority allowed to raise. -f, --fsize[=limits] Maximum file size. -i, --sigpending[=limits] Maximum number of pending signals. -l, --memlock[=limits] Maximum locked-in-memory address space. -m, --rss[=limits] Maximum Resident Set Size (RSS). -n, --nofile[=limits] Maximum number of open files. -q, --msgqueue[=limits] Maximum number of bytes in POSIX message queues. -r, --rtprio[=limits] Maximum real-time priority. -s, --stack[=limits] Maximum size of the stack. -t, --cpu[=limits] CPU time, in seconds. -u, --nproc[=limits] Maximum number of processes. -v, --as[=limits] Address space limit. -x, --locks[=limits] Maximum number of file locks held. -y, --rttime[=limits] Timeout for real-time tasks. EXAMPLES
prlimit --pid 13134 Display limit values for all current resources. prlimit --pid 13134 --rss --nofile=1024:4095 Display the limits of the RSS, and set the soft and hard limits for the number of open files to 1024 and 4095, respectively. prlimit --pid 13134 --nproc=512: Modify only the soft limit for the number of processes. prlimit --pid $$ --nproc=unlimited Set for the current process both the soft and ceiling values for the number of processes to unlimited. prlimit --cpu=10 sort -u hugefile Set both the soft and hard CPU time limit to ten seconds and run 'sort'. SEE ALSO
ulimit(1), prlimit(2) NOTES
The prlimit system call is supported since Linux 2.6.36, older kernels will break this program. AUTHORS
Davidlohr Bueso <dave@gnu.org> - In memory of Dennis M. Ritchie. AVAILABILITY
The prlimit command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2014 PRLIMIT(1)