Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting lines from a file with sed and awk Post 302833667 by Scott on Wednesday 17th of July 2013 03:01:38 PM
Old 07-17-2013
Use double quotes to preserve whitespace:
Code:
echo "$line"

This User Gave Thanks to Scott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, grep, awk, regex -- extracting a matched substring from a file/string

Ok, I'm stumped and can't seem to find relevant info. (I'm not even sure, I might have asked something similar before.): I'm trying to use shell scripting/UNIX commands to extract URLs from a fairly large web page, with a view to ultimately wrapping this in PHP with exec() and including the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting pattern only with AWK | SED | GREP

We have the following statement working in CGYWIN, but when we move the program to Solaris 10 it fails. x=`echo "ABC196925XYZ" | grep -o --only-matching "\{6\}"` How can we use AWK or SED to extract only the number from the string? The following outputs the entire string. We only want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: James Clark
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines and saving - awk

Hi All, I am trying to extract lines bsed on pattern matching../mp straight-flow/ Extracted output should be saved in meta_string , but the code is not working in that manner,saving repeated lines. can anyone please suggest where am i going wrong. /mp straight-flow/ {... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhaviece
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : extracting unique lines based on columns

Hi, snp.txt CHR_A SNP_A BP_A_st BP_A_End CHR_B BP_B SNP_B R2 p-SNP_A p-SNP_B 5 rs1988728 74904317 74904318 5 74960646 rs1427924 0.377333 0.000740085 0.013930081 5 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting lines by using awk

Hello, I have a file including some lines as follows person (1): a d t person (2): f h j person (3): z x v . . . (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines in a text file using AWK or SED

Hi All I'm struggling a bit here :( I need a way of joining lines contained in a text file. I've seen numerous SED and AWK examples and none of them seem to be working for me. The text file has 4 lines: DELL1427 DOC 30189342 79 Now bear with me on this one as I'm actually... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: huskie69
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk for extracting directory from file path

Hi, I have following path: set file_path = D:/forums/prac/somedir/new1/file1.txt or set file_path = E:/new/forums1/prac/somedir/new2/file2.txt I need to grep "somedir" from file path. In this case preceding directory "prac" remains same for both the paths, but directories preceding... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script - extracting min and max values from selected lines

Hi guys! I'm new to scripting and I need to write a script in awk. Here is example of file on which I'm working ATOM 4688 HG1 PRO A 322 18.080 59.680 137.020 1.00 0.00 ATOM 4689 HG2 PRO A 322 18.850 61.220 137.010 1.00 0.00 ATOM 4690 CD ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: grincz
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit after extracting range if lines - awk

Hello, I was wondering how is it possible if I use this command: awk 'NR >= 998 && NR <= 1000' file.txtTo exit after parsing the 1000th line ( last line targeted) ??? I observed that when executing this command for a large file, if the range of lines is at the beginning of the file it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting lines before and until next pattern in file /awk, sed

Hi, I need to get specific parts in a large file. I need to: Get a line containing an IP address, and read from there to another line saying ***SNMP-END*** So, I have the start and the end well defined, but the problem is that apparently the awk command using the -F option doesn't work... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocramas
17 Replies
XARGS(1)						      General Commands Manual							  XARGS(1)

NAME
xargs - construct argument list(s) and execute utility SYNOPSIS
xargs [ -t ][[ -x ] -n number ][ -s size ][ utility [ arguments... ]] DESCRIPTION
The xargs utility reads space, tab, newline and end-of-file delimited arguments from the standard input and executes the specified utility with them as arguments. The utility and any arguments specified on the command line are given to the utility upon each invocation, followed by some number of the arguments read from standard input. The utility is repeatedly executed until standard input is exhausted. Spaces, tabs and newlines may be embedded in arguments using single (`` ' '') or double (``"'') quotes or backslashes (``''). Single quotes escape all non-single quote characters, excluding newlines, up to the matching single quote. Double quotes escape all non-double quote characters, excluding newlines, up to the matching double quote. Any single character, including newlines, may be escaped by a back- slash. The options are as follows: -n number Set the maximum number of arguments taken from standard input for each invocation of the utility. An invocation of utility will use less than number standard input arguments if the number of bytes accumulated (see the s option) exceeds the specified size or there are fewer than number arguments remaining for the last invocation of utility. The current default value for number is 5000. -s size Set the maximum number of bytes for the command line length provided to utility. The sum of the length of the utility name and the arguments passed to utility (including /dev/null terminators) will be less than or equal to this number. The current default value for size is ARG_MAX - 2048. -t Echo the command to be executed to standard error immediately before it is executed. -x Force xargs to terminate immediately if a command line containing number arguments will not fit in the specified (or default) command line length. If no utility is specified, echo(1) is used. Undefined behavior may occur if utility reads from the standard input. The xargs utility exits immediately (without processing any further input) if a command line cannot be assembled, utility cannot be invoked, an invocation of the utility is terminated by a signal or an invocation of the utility exits with a value of 255. The xargs utility exits with a value of 0 if no error occurs. If utility cannot be invoked, xargs exits with a value of 127. If any other error occurs, xargs exits with a value of 1. SEE ALSO
echo(1), find(1) STANDARDS
The xargs utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2("POSIX") compliant. June 6, 1993 XARGS(1)