Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A Simple Clock, Well Maybe Not That Simple... Post 302833661 by Corona688 on Wednesday 17th of July 2013 02:49:25 PM
Old 07-17-2013
A fun little app, and works great here.

When you find yourself writing pages of nearly-identical if/then, though, and if you want to use this code for teaching -- it's really time to learn the case statement:

Code:
case "$char" in
:)        colon ;;
0)        zero  ;;
1)        one   ;;
esac

Fancier but less-friendly code:

Code:
                if [ "$char" == ":" ]
                then
                        colon
                else
                        # Functions are named d0 through d9
                        d$char
                fi

Last edited by Corona688; 07-17-2013 at 04:03 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple if

Hi, I have a variable (x) that holds a file name - I need to write this: if x matches the patern *ABC* or the pattern DEF*T then action A else action B fi how to do that? Also, how can i change the or test to AND test? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
2 Replies

3. Programming

Simple C question... Hopefully it's simple

Hello. I'm a complete newbie to C programming. I have a C program that wasn't written by me where I need to write some wrappers around it to automate and make it easier for a client to use. The problem is that the program accepts standard input to control the program... I'm hoping to find a simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xeed
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple to you not simple to me pattern matchin help

hey all, im new and my first question is: say i have a word "blahblah" how do i get and replace the last letter of the word with say k, so replace the h with a k. However you cant just replace the h it has to change the LAST LETTER of the word. Cheers In advance. :b: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aleks001
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Something simple, I think...

Hello to all, I have a very simple script that Ii run to CD into a specific directory. When I run it without a dot notation or shell notation (as a subshell, therefore), the script does not actually change the directory. But how do I avoid using the dot or shell notation and still be able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: confutatis
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need very simple help

i have a part of script that is not getting me what i want? Below the script count=5 count1=1 if then echo $count1 count1=`expr $count1 + 1` fi -------------------------------------------------------- The result i want is 1 2 3 4 5 But its giving me result as only 1. Plz help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

9. Programming

Simple Chess Clock

I am trying to implement a simple chess clock. It should have the following options: start, stop, reset, read. Reset will set the time to zero Start will start the clock Stop will stop the clock My problem is that I want that start continues counting the time from the time it had when it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
6 Replies
CLOCK(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     CLOCK(1)

NAME
clock - display the time in an icon or window SYNOPSIS
clock AVAILABILITY
This command is available with the OpenWindows environment. For information about installing OpenWindows, refer to the OpenWindows Instal- lation and Start-Up Guide. DESCRIPTION
clock is an OpenWindows XView utility that displays the current time in a window or icon. When the window is open, clock can display the time in either analog or digital format. The clock window is scalable in either format. USAGE
When the clock window is open, it has a floating menu from which you can bring up a property window. From this property sheet, you can modify the display of the tool by selecting either the Analog or Digital choice box. Seconds: On the analog version, this selection starts a second hand on the face of the clock. On the digital version, it adds two dig- its to the digital readout. Date: Turns on a date display for both analog and digital versions of clock. BUGS
If you reset the system time, clock will not reflect the new time until you change its window state from open to icon, or vice versa. To reset the system time, see date (1V). The date display does not go well with the round clock face. Occasionally, when clock is uncovered, the face will be visually corrupted. Use the Refresh button from the frame menu to repair. 11 June 1990 CLOCK(1)