Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Looping with wait in UNIX
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Looping with wait in UNIX Post 302833373 by Pratik4891 on Wednesday 17th of July 2013 03:05:06 AM
Old 07-17-2013
Looping with wait in UNIX

Hello Gurus ,

Could you help me with my below requirement

In my script I will start a process ,it takes some time to complete the process.After completion it will create a file
after that I have to restart the process again
The number of time it will be done will vary but that count we should know before

so here is the algorithm

for in 1...count

delete indicator file

step 1 start process
step 2 check indicator file exist [ denotes process completed ]
no then sleep for 30 second
go to step 2
else
go to step 1 [run the process again ]

do this until the for loop completed

Could anyone please give me the code or suggestion how to procees
Your help is very much appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to execute 2 scripts, wait, execute 2 more wait, till end of file

:cool: I need to execute a shell script to do the following: cat a file run two back ground processes using the first two values from the file wait till those background processes finish run two more background processes using the next two values from the file wait till those background... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: halo98
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About wait

Hi everyone I'm novice at Unix programming and I hope to post this thread in the correct place. I have the following doubts: 1 Suppose we have some processes which are B's children process and another process A which has no relation with B and its children. Can A do wait () for a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puntino
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait ${!}

In one of the shell script (Where abinitio graph is called), the last line is wait ${!}. What does this wait ${!} mean ??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use looping in unix

Can someone help me coding a loop (like for loop in C)? I mean what is the syntax....? My requirement is, i have to send every successive string searched using awk to a csv file till the end of the file..Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goutam_igate
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

WAIT

Can someone explain what is the status says WAIT on performance monitoring command.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_krish
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait example

Hi Gurus, Some questions regarding wait. I have tried searching in this forum for threads on wait but not completely got what I am looking for. Background: One script (.sh) that starts/calls a reference to an application's executable and submits a batch job to it. Objective is to wait... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a shell script in background and wait using "wait" in while loop

Hi, I am facing a strange issue, when i call a script from my while loop in background it doesnt go in background, despite the wait i put below the whil loop it goes forward even before the process put in background is completed. cat abc.txt | while read -u4 line do #if line contains #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Call a UNIX script inside another and dont wait for it

Hi I have two scripts script1.sh and script2.sh(say this script is a long running). I want to call script2.sh inside and script1.sh,but when i call script2.sh i dont want to wait for script2 to complete and want this to run in back ground and go on next commands in script 1.sh and finally at the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through records in db and processing them in UNIX

Hi, I want to read multiple records from oracle database table and then based on each record I need to do some file modifications in UNIX. I'm not sure how do I process each record from DB in UNIX.Below is the code snippet. sqlplus user/pwd@DEV for i IN (select * from table) loop -- for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prats_7678
2 Replies
SYSTEMD-NOTIFY(1)                                                 systemd-notify                                                 SYSTEMD-NOTIFY(1)

NAME
systemd-notify - Notify service manager about start-up completion and other daemon status changes SYNOPSIS
systemd-notify [OPTIONS...] [VARIABLE=VALUE...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-notify may be called by daemon scripts to notify the init system about status changes. It can be used to send arbitrary information, encoded in an environment-block-like list of strings. Most importantly, it can be used for start-up completion notification. This is mostly just a wrapper around sd_notify() and makes this functionality available to shell scripts. For details see sd_notify(3). The command line may carry a list of environment variables to send as part of the status update. Note that systemd will refuse reception of status updates from this command unless NotifyAccess= is set for the service unit this command is called from. Note that sd_notify() notifications may be attributed to units correctly only if either the sending process is still around at the time PID 1 processes the message, or if the sending process is explicitly runtime-tracked by the service manager. The latter is the case if the service manager originally forked off the process, i.e. on all processes that match NotifyAccess=main or NotifyAccess=exec. Conversely, if an auxiliary process of the unit sends an sd_notify() message and immediately exits, the service manager might not be able to properly attribute the message to the unit, and thus will ignore it, even if NotifyAccess=all is set for it. systemd-notify will first attempt to invoke sd_notify() pretending to have the PID of the invoking process. This will only succeed when invoked with sufficient privileges. On failure, it will then fall back to invoking it under its own PID. This behaviour is useful in order that when the tool is invoked from a shell script the shell process -- and not the systemd-notify process -- appears as sender of the message, which in turn is helpful if the shell process is the main process of a service, due to the limitations of NotifyAccess=all described above. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --ready Inform the init system about service start-up completion. This is equivalent to systemd-notify READY=1. For details about the semantics of this option see sd_notify(3). --pid= Inform the init system about the main PID of the daemon. Takes a PID as argument. If the argument is omitted, the PID of the process that invoked systemd-notify is used. This is equivalent to systemd-notify MAINPID=$PID. For details about the semantics of this option see sd_notify(3). --uid=USER Set the user ID to send the notification from. Takes a UNIX user name or numeric UID. When specified the notification message will be sent with the specified UID as sender, in place of the user the command was invoked as. This option requires sufficient privileges in order to be able manipulate the user identity of the process. --status= Send a free-form status string for the daemon to the init systemd. This option takes the status string as argument. This is equivalent to systemd-notify STATUS=.... For details about the semantics of this option see sd_notify(3). --booted Returns 0 if the system was booted up with systemd, non-zero otherwise. If this option is passed, no message is sent. This option is hence unrelated to the other options. For details about the semantics of this option, see sd_booted(3). An alternate way to check for this state is to call systemctl(1) with the is-system-running command. It will return "offline" if the system was not booted with systemd. -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. EXAMPLE
Example 1. Start-up Notification and Status Updates A simple shell daemon that sends start-up notifications after having set up its communication channel. During runtime it sends further status updates to the init system: #!/bin/bash mkfifo /tmp/waldo systemd-notify --ready --status="Waiting for data..." while : ; do read a < /tmp/waldo systemd-notify --status="Processing $a" # Do something with $a ... systemd-notify --status="Waiting for data..." done SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), systemd.unit(5), sd_notify(3), sd_booted(3) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-NOTIFY(1)