Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Show Percentage Compression in GZIP Post 302833181 by Corona688 on Tuesday 16th of July 2013 11:50:32 AM
Old 07-16-2013
what versions of gzip/gunzip? Perhaps it could use an update.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compression utilities

I've noticed bzip2 gives a little bit better compression than gzip. So...I'm curious...what's gives the best compression out of all the compression utilities? Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Move with compression

How can I move a file and compress it at the same time? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: truma1
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Predictor compression

Hi everybody, Does anybody know,whether linux-2.4.20-8 supports predictor1 compression in PPP protocol support,as i was able to see there were only two compression techniques that r being supported i.e bsd and deflate compression from "make menuconfig" under network device... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram.ec
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.z file compression

Hello, I have a .z file which i understand to be UNIX. I'm on PC (no UNIX boxes) and have tried many different unzipping programs to extract this .z file, but only PicoZip has allowed me to view what is inside (telling me, i think, that it's not corrupt), but i have not been able to extract... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gonecat
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Un-compression types...

Hi Folks, As I am familiar wih both types compresion forms: gun-zip and .rpm. My questions is how do I uncompress gunz.zip type? As the .rpm I can double click and it will extract...Can someone shed some light on this and thank you... M (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mombo_Z
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Compression (gzip) for image analysis

Hi Everyone, I am a Ph.D student working on some image processing tasks and I have run into an interesting problem that I thought someone on here might have an idea about. This paper discusses a method to compare two images based upon the amount they can be compressed. Sorry, since this is my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudigarude
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding gzip compression to a connection using nc

Hello everyone, As the title suggests, I am attempting to test adding gzip compression to a connection to an application I am testing. Currently I have the application set up with httptunnel, which forwards the connection to the remote host. I would like to use a script to intercept the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggismn
5 Replies

9. Linux

Best Compression technique ?

Hi all, I am working on a sample backup code, where i read the files per 7200 bytes and send it to server. Before sending to server, i compress each 7200 bytes using zlib compression algorithm using dictionary max length of 1.5 MB . I find zlib is slow. Can anyone recommend me a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvarajvss
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar gzip compression rate

How good is the compression rate of gzip when you use tar with the gzip option? I am pretty amazed that a 1 GB file was reduced to 1019K. This is what I did. tar -cvf tar_test.tar.gz -T /list_of_files ls -hl -rw-r-----. 1 owner group 19 Jul 23 16:00 list_of_files -rw-r-----. 1 owner group... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies
gzip(3) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   gzip(3)

NAME
PerlIO::gzip - Perl extension to provide a PerlIO layer to gzip/gunzip SYNOPSIS
use PerlIO::gzip; open FOO, "<:gzip", "file.gz" or die $!; print while <FOO>; # And it will be uncompressed... binmode FOO, ":gzip(none)" # Starts reading deflate stream from here on DESCRIPTION
PerlIO::gzip provides a PerlIO layer that manipulates files in the format used by the "gzip" program. Compression and Decompression are implemented, but not together. If you attempt to open a file for reading and writing the open will fail. EXPORT
PerlIO::gzip exports no subroutines or symbols, just a perl layer "gzip" LAYER ARGUMENTS
The "gzip" layer takes a comma separated list of arguments. 4 exclusive options choose the header checking mode: gzip The default. Expects a standard gzip file header for reading, writes a standard gzip file header. none Expects or writes no file header; assumes the file handle is immediately a deflate stream (eg as would be found inside a "zip" file) auto Potentially dangerous. If the first two bytes match the "gzip" header "x1fx8b" then a gzip header is assumed (and checked) else a deflate stream is assumed. No different from gzip on writing. autopop Potentially dangerous. If the first two bytes match the "gzip" header "x1fx8b" then a gzip header is assumed (and checked) else the layer is silently popped. This results in gzip files being transparently decompressed, other files being treated normally. Of course, this has sides effects such as File::Copy becoming gunzip, and File::Compare comparing the uncompressed contents of files. In autopop mode Opening a handle for writing (or reading and writing) will cause the gzip layer to automatically be popped. Optionally you can add this flag: lazy For reading, defer header checking until the first read. For writing, don't write a header until the first buffer empty of compressed data to disk. (and don't write anything at all if no data was written to the handle) By default, gzip header checking is done before the "open" (or "binmode") returns, so if an error is detected in the gzip header the "open" or "binmode" will fail. However, this will require reading some data, or writing a header. With lazy set on a file opened for reading the check is deferred until the first read so the "open" should always succeed, but any problems with the header will cause an error on read. open FOO, "<:gzip(lazy)", "file.gz" or die $!; # Dangerous. while (<FOO>) { print; } # Whoa. Bad. You're not distinguishing between errors and EOF. If you're not careful you won't spot the errors - like the example above you'll think you got end of file. lazy is ignored if you are in autopop mode. AUTHOR
Nicholas Clark, <nwc10+perlio-gzip@colon.colondot.net> SEE ALSO
perl, gzip, rfc 1952 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1952.txt> (the gzip file format specification), rfc 1951 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1951.txt> (DEFLATE compressed data format specification) perl v5.16.2 2006-10-01 gzip(3)