Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Show Percentage Compression in GZIP Post 302833157 by vinay4889 on Tuesday 16th of July 2013 11:08:19 AM
Old 07-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
gzip won't ever make a file that much larger than it started, so it must be meaning the opposite of what you think.
Thanks for quick resonse.
I am confused a bit. My assumption was based upon some pages on Internet. Can you please take a look at below.

Why GZip compression increases the file size for some extension?

Also , if it is really compressed why would it show compresion % more than 100%. I checked for some small files and compression % was 91%.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compression utilities

I've noticed bzip2 gives a little bit better compression than gzip. So...I'm curious...what's gives the best compression out of all the compression utilities? Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Move with compression

How can I move a file and compress it at the same time? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: truma1
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Predictor compression

Hi everybody, Does anybody know,whether linux-2.4.20-8 supports predictor1 compression in PPP protocol support,as i was able to see there were only two compression techniques that r being supported i.e bsd and deflate compression from "make menuconfig" under network device... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram.ec
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.z file compression

Hello, I have a .z file which i understand to be UNIX. I'm on PC (no UNIX boxes) and have tried many different unzipping programs to extract this .z file, but only PicoZip has allowed me to view what is inside (telling me, i think, that it's not corrupt), but i have not been able to extract... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gonecat
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Un-compression types...

Hi Folks, As I am familiar wih both types compresion forms: gun-zip and .rpm. My questions is how do I uncompress gunz.zip type? As the .rpm I can double click and it will extract...Can someone shed some light on this and thank you... M (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mombo_Z
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Compression (gzip) for image analysis

Hi Everyone, I am a Ph.D student working on some image processing tasks and I have run into an interesting problem that I thought someone on here might have an idea about. This paper discusses a method to compare two images based upon the amount they can be compressed. Sorry, since this is my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudigarude
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding gzip compression to a connection using nc

Hello everyone, As the title suggests, I am attempting to test adding gzip compression to a connection to an application I am testing. Currently I have the application set up with httptunnel, which forwards the connection to the remote host. I would like to use a script to intercept the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggismn
5 Replies

9. Linux

Best Compression technique ?

Hi all, I am working on a sample backup code, where i read the files per 7200 bytes and send it to server. Before sending to server, i compress each 7200 bytes using zlib compression algorithm using dictionary max length of 1.5 MB . I find zlib is slow. Can anyone recommend me a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvarajvss
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar gzip compression rate

How good is the compression rate of gzip when you use tar with the gzip option? I am pretty amazed that a 1 GB file was reduced to 1019K. This is what I did. tar -cvf tar_test.tar.gz -T /list_of_files ls -hl -rw-r-----. 1 owner group 19 Jul 23 16:00 list_of_files -rw-r-----. 1 owner group... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies
ZNEW(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   ZNEW(1)

NAME
znew - recompress .Z files to .gz files SYNOPSIS
znew [ -ftv9PK] [ name.Z ... ] DESCRIPTION
Znew recompresses files from .Z (compress) format to .gz (gzip) format. If you want to recompress a file already in gzip format, rename the file to force a .Z extension then apply znew. OPTIONS
-f Force recompression from .Z to .gz format even if a .gz file already exists. -t Tests the new files before deleting originals. -v Verbose. Display the name and percentage reduction for each file compressed. -9 Use the slowest compression method (optimal compression). -P Use pipes for the conversion to reduce disk space usage. -K Keep a .Z file when it is smaller than the .gz file; implies -t. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), zmore(1), zdiff(1), zgrep(1), zforce(1), gzexe(1), compress(1) BUGS
Znew does not maintain the time stamp with the -P option if cpmod(1) is not available and touch(1) does not support the -r option. ZNEW(1)