Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD Problem with installing freeBSD in Virtualbox Post 302832777 by Corona688 on Monday 15th of July 2013 05:12:40 PM
Old 07-15-2013
What reboots -- virtualbox or the whole machine?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing FreeBSD

Not entirely sure if this belongs here but here it is. I am installing FreeBSD, downloaded the ISO from their website, created the Bootdisk. And when I try to boot, I get this error, 'Panic, Couldn't Inialize. Will not continue without Inialization'. I get the prompt telling me that it will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fmarvez
2 Replies

2. BSD

installing FreeBSD

hi everybody i'm now downloading FreeBSD using anonymous ftp...the problem i'll encounter is that it seems to be a huge archive.... I want just install it over a 8 G disk....how can i manage this? thanks regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaiida
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Freebsd

Hi All Hope this is not going to upset you but i really need help. I'm new to Unix (Brand New) have never worked on a unix system before in my life so please bear with me. I'm in the process to install Freebsd but have no idea how to go ahead. The system that i have does not have any cd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunner
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Opera 8 on FreeBSD

I'm a n00b to UNIX, but I'm making much progress. My preferred browser is Opera, and the ported version with FBSD 5.4 is Opera 7.54. Because I lost my opera key, I'd prefer to have version 8 which does not require a key. How can I install the .tar.gz on FreeBSD? I am somewhat familiar with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrgnInterrupted
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help. I have a problem with installing FreeBSD

hi. I am newbie in Unix. I wanted to install Free BSD 5.2.1 to my computer which winXp was already installed. But i couldn't. I chose Standard. Then it said you are going to use dos style fdisk partitioning. Then a window displayed begining like this. WARNING: A geometry of 155127/16/63 for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sualcavab
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem in installing x window on freeBSD 7.0

i have installed freeBSD 7.0 using the 5 cds. when i try to install the gnome or kde during the post-installation, the following error appears: "ghost-script gpl-8.60 aborted error 1 ......." Do u think that the cd(it's the second cd) is corrupted or i missed some steps which i should follow. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solomonml
1 Replies

7. BSD

Installing FreeBSD in VirtualBox

Keeps saying no bootable media found. Works with every other distro. Any ideas? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Swathe
6 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Installing FreeBSd 8.1?

Hello everybody, I'm really new to Unix(and new here) ,and I'm looking forward to install FreeBSD 8.1 in Virtual Box on the Host - Windows 7.Otherwise in a eternal HDD.My problem is that I tried to find out step by step instruction but failed to find any such set of instructions. I'm in fact a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blackwhite
1 Replies

9. SCO

Failure while installing SCO UNIXWare7.1.4 on vmware workstation9, virtualbox

Sir I am trying to install UnixWare7.1.4 on vmware workstation9, virtualbox and I am getting the following error FATAL BOOT ERROR: decompression failed For installing SCO Unixware7.1.4 I have created virtual harddisk of size 18GB, 1024 RAM, 64bit video memory, chosen unixware7.1.4... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshforu3
1 Replies
reboot(1M)						  System Administration Commands						reboot(1M)

NAME
reboot - restart the operating system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/reboot [-dlnq] [boot_arguments] /usr/sbin/reboot [-f [-e environment]] [-dlnq] [boot_arguments] DESCRIPTION
The reboot utility restarts the kernel. The kernel is loaded into memory by the PROM monitor, which transfers control to the loaded kernel. On x86 systems, when the -f flag is specified, the running kernel will load the next kernel into memory, then transfer control to the newly loaded kernel. This form of reboot is shown in the second synopsis, above. Although reboot can be run by the super-user at any time, shutdown(1M) is normally used first to warn all users logged in of the impending loss of service. See shutdown(1M) for details. The reboot utility performs a sync(1M) operation on the disks, and then a multi-user reboot is initiated. See init(1M) for details. On x86 systems, reboot may also update the boot archive as needed to ensure a successful reboot. The reboot utility normally logs the reboot to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), and places a shutdown record in the login accounting file /var/adm/wtmpx. These actions are inhibited if the -n or -q options are present. Normally, the system reboots itself at power-up or after crashes. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Force a system crash dump before rebooting. See dumpadm(1M) for information on configuring system crash dumps. -e If -f is present, reboot to the specified boot environment. -f Fast reboot, bypassing firmware and boot loader. The new kernel will be loaded into memory by the running kernel, and control will be transferred to the newly loaded kernel. If disk or kernel arguments are specified, they must be specified before other boot arguments. This option is currently available only on x86 systems. See EXAMPLES for details. -l Suppress sending a message to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M) about who executed reboot. -n Avoid calling sync(2) and do not log the reboot to syslogd(1M) or to /var/adm/wtmpx. The kernel still attempts to sync filesystems prior to reboot, except if the -d option is also present. If -d is used with -n, the kernel does not attempt to sync filesystems. -q Quick. Reboot quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: boot_arguments An optional boot_arguments specifies arguments to the uadmin(2) function that are passed to the boot program and kernel upon restart. The form and list of arguments is described in the boot(1M) and kernel(1M) man pages.. If the arguments are specified, whitespace between them is replaced by single spaces unless the whitespace is quoted for the shell. If the boot_arguments begin with a hyphen, they must be preceded by the -- delimiter (two hyphens) to denote the end of the reboot argument list. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Passing the -r and -v Arguments to boot In the following example, the delimiter -- (two hyphens) must be used to separate the options of reboot from the arguments of boot(1M). example# reboot -dl -- -rv Example 2 Rebooting Using a Specific Disk and Kernel The following example reboots using a specific disk and kernel. example# reboot disk1 kernel.test/unix Example 3 Fast Rebooting The following examples use the f option to perform fast reboots. The following command reboots to the same kernel. example# reboot -f The following command reboots to another UFS root disk. example# reboot -f -- '/dev/dsk/c1d0s0' The following command reboots to another ZFS root pool. example# reboot -f -- 'rpool/ROOT/root2' The following command reboots to mykernel on the same disk with -k option. example# reboot -f -- '/platform/i86pc/mykernel/amd64/unix -k' The following command reboots to mykernel off another root disk mounted on /mnt. example# reboot -f -- '/mnt/platform/i86pc/mykernel/amd64/unix -k' The following command reboots to /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix on another boot environment named second_root. example# reboot -f -e second_root The following command reboots to the same kernel with -kv options. example# reboot -f -- '-kv' FILES
/var/adm/wtmpx login accounting file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdb(1), boot(1M), dumpadm(1M), fsck(1M), halt(1M), init(1M), kernel(1M), shutdown(1M), sync(1M), syslogd(1M), sync(2), uadmin(2), reboot(3C), attributes(5) NOTES
The reboot utility does not execute the scripts in /etc/rcnum.d or execute shutdown actions in inittab(4). To ensure a complete shutdown of system services, use shutdown(1M) or init(1M) to reboot a Solaris system. SunOS 5.11 29 Sep 2008 reboot(1M)