Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UUCP Transfer Files to Old UNIX Computer Post 302832773 by BrentBANKS on Monday 15th of July 2013 05:10:07 PM
Old 07-15-2013
UUCP Transfer Files to Old UNIX Computer

I recently installed AT&T UNIX SysV, on an old Pentium computer. I now find that I am unable to transfer files to and from the computer. I previously posted about problems mounting a floppy drive, but that is just bringing up more problems about the filesystem format.

JGT brought to my attention UUCP, where I can transfer files to and from my computers via serial cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgt
3. Do you have serial ports on the unix system, and at least one of the others?
The unix system should have uucp installed. You will need to create a null modem cable to connect the serial ports. You may have to install uucp on the ubuntu system. There are windows versions of uucp as well.
The only problem is that I don't have a cable lying around. And I havn't seen one in Wal-Mart before. I do however, have the resources to build a cable, if it is possible. I have an abundance of parallel port connectors (25pin printer port). Is it possible to use a parallel port cable instead of a serial port?

Thanks for the help

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

transfer of files via ftp from windows to unix

I am currently looking to write a script to transfer files from a windows NT server to a unix server any ideas of how to go about this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chambala5
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

uucp (UNIX) problem

Hi ! I couldnot execute Unix uucp command for copying file from Unix to Unix machine, whenever I am using the following command : $uucp file_name system!/destination Error is "Bad System Name" Let me know the way. From, Niraj Gopal Sharan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niraj Gopal Sha
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfer files from Unix server to Windows using FTP

Dear Friend, I don't know much about unix.I am an VB6.0 Programmer.I need to move an text files as aaa.txt from unix server to windows "D: " driver using the FTP protocol.Is it possible to do this with help of unix shell script.If possible please give some sample codes. Please answer as early... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gjsaravanan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to transfer files from Unix to Windows

I need to write a shell script to transfer files from Unix server to windows machine. This script will be scheduled on scheduler to run at specified intervals #!/bin/ksh ftp -n alaska <<End-Of-Session user sss01 sample cd /home/sss01 lcd D:/sample mget *.txt bye when I executed the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: knag
15 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to transfer files from Unix to Windows.

Hi There is a requirement for me to transfer files from Unix to windows in an automation process of unix. Please let me know is it posibble to shell scripting this? Could you help me in scripting it? Regards Venugopal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_eie
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UUCP (Unix to unix copy) not working

I have a problem using uucp. I have Ubuntu 10.4 and i installed the 'uucp' package. In my LAN there are a desktop pc, a laptop, and the router the desktop local ip is: 192.168.0.2 the laptop local ip is: 192.168.0.4 Here are the /etc/uucp/config and the /etc/uucp/sys i used on the desktop.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to transfer files from unix to windows

I have to transfer a file from unix to windows through Shell Script. I am using the below script, but it is not working. Please help. Please note --- I have to transfer the file from unix to windows. Not from windows to unix. I mean I don't have to use batch script.Only through unix shell script.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vsachan
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Need to transfer files between 2 UNIX servers, with same folder permission

I need to transfer directories/files between 2 Unix servers, with same folder permission. I tried scp, but it retains the the permissions, but changes the owner of the directory/file to the user used to copy them to the destination. I don't want that to happen. If possible without any other... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pandee
6 Replies
ports(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						  ports(7)

NAME
ports, port_names - Device (tty and lp) names for serial and parallel ports SYNOPSIS
Default Serial Ports: /dev/tty00 /dev/tty01 (not present on a single-port system) Parallel Port: /dev/lp0 DESCRIPTION
AlphaStation and AlphaServer systems provide one or two 9-pin serial communication ports. These ports are usually labelled 1 (COMM1) and 2 (COMM2), but they may be identified by different icons. Using the appropriate serial cable and terminator, you can connect a serial printer, external modem, or character-cell terminal to a serial port. Most AlphaStation and AlphaServer systems also provide one parallel port, for use with a parallel printer. When you add a device to your system, the installation documentation may instruct you to map the device pathname to the port. These devices are located in the /dev directory. For serial-line ports, the two default device pathnames are: This pathname always maps to 1, COMM1, the lowest port number, an icon for a terminal console, or the only serial port (on a single-port system). This pathname always maps to 2, COMM2, the next numbered port, or (if one serial port is labeled with an icon for a terminal console) the remaining serial port. If your system hardware has been extended to include additional serial ports, the pathnames /dev/tty02, /dev/tty03, and so forth, may also be available to you. However, most systems have only /dev/tty00 and /dev/tty01 as the device pathnames for serial ports. The one parallel port on an AlphaStation or AlphaServer may be labeled with the word printer or a printer icon. On some systems, the paral- lel port may not be labeled. The device pathname for the parallel port is /dev/lp0. Currently, Tru64 UNIX does not fully support parallel printers, so fewer devices are connected to this port as compared to serial ports. If you are connecting a terminal console to your system, it must be connected to the serial port mapped to /dev/tty00. For other serial devices, it does not matter which of the serial ports you choose for the connection. For example, suppose you are setting up a system that has two serial ports, labeled 1 and 2. You intend to use a serial-line terminal rather than a workstation monitor as the system console and also want to connect a serial-line printer to the system. In this case, you must connect the terminal to the port labeled 1 (with the device pathname /dev/tty00). Therefore, you must connect the printer to the remaining port labeled 2 (with the device pathname /dev/tty01). If, for the same type of system, you intend to use a workstation monitor as the system console, it does not matter which serial port you use for a serial-line printer or modem. In other words, you can connect the printer to either port 1 (with pathname /dev/tty00) or port 2 (with pathname /dev/tty01). When prompted to enter a /dev/tty** pathname by the lprsetup script or the Print configuration tool in the CDE Application Manager, you would specify /dev/tty00 if you connected the printer to port 1 or /dev/tty01 if you connected the printer to port 2. See the System Administration manual for more information on setting up consoles (including remote consoles) and printers. See the modem(7) reference page for more information on setting up modems. SEE ALSO
Commands: lprsetup(8) Devices: ace(7), modem(7) System Administration delim off ports(7)