Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comparing two files and generating the report Post 302832665 by joeyg on Monday 15th of July 2013 11:58:32 AM
Old 07-15-2013
Still do not understand 'change'

In your first example, a single character at position 3 is different; and thus you call this "Modification".
In your 2nd example, three characters at positions 13-14-15 are different; and this is also a "Modification".

What if 20 characters are different? Is that simply another Modification? When is a Modification not a Change, but a delete and add?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating files of specific size

I've been working on getting a script to take size, dir name and file name variables from an input file and creating the same dir structure along with the file of specific size. An example of the input file: size/dirname/filename 2100/JAN_06/12345ABC.TCC 2354/FEB_06/24564XYZ.NOS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nxd25
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a report -Formatted printing -Urgent

Hi, My aim is to generate a report using shell script. There are various formats fields coloumns etc. I want to print in a single line (row) but in different coloumn as given below: field1 field2 field3 field4 ....... ....... ...... ....... The spacing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jisha
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating files.

I/P file name:- 20092008.txt Check number of entries in i/p file by following command ChkEnt -infl 20092008.txt -opfl 20092008_test.txt >count.txt Dear Friends, Please help me in automating following thing. If output generated (count.txt) is having value more than 1000 i.e.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing out the logs and generating report

My file will contain following(log.txt): start testcase: config loading ...... error XXXX ..... end testcase: config loading, result failed start testcase: ping check ..... error ZZZZZ ..... error AAAAA end testcase: Ping check, result failed I am expecting below output. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripter
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Script for generating a report

Hi all, I have a log file of the below format. 20081016:000042 asdflasjdf asljfljs asdflasjf safjl 20081016:000229 /lask/ajlsdf/askdfjsa 20081016:000229 /lashflas /askdfaslj hsfhsahf 20081016:000304 lasflasj ashfashd 20081016:000304 lajfasdf ashfashdfhs I need to generate a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.naidu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a count report

Hi, I want to generate a report for count mismatching. Steps followed for creating a script for file in 1). I have to fetch the file name from the checksum.out #customer_information_ 2). Added Detail #customer_information_Detail 3). Check the file exist or not. 3.1.1)if the the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: number10
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating MD5's of files

On my website I host a lot of files, and when people view the site, currently each time the page loads, I have PHP generating the md5 sums for the files right then and there. It was fine when my site was small, but now that's obviously very inefficient. Now I'd like to start generating MD5 sums... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GrdLock
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

generating report in Excel(Open office) using shell scripting

Hello All, I need to execute around 15 queries after which all data should come in Excel format. Executing 15 queries is not a problem. Problem is how to present/put data in excel. kindly suggest me how to start, what to study or what should i do. thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubham8787
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Novice in shell scripting - generating report

Hi I recently joined a project where I have been asked to generate a report using shell script accessing UNIX box. I have no idea on how to do it as I am a beginner and learning shell scripts. Suppose I have a XML: <XYZRequest> <effectiveDate>someDate</effectiveDate>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vat1kor
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files on row by row and send the report

Comparing two files on row by row File1 ecount~100 dcount~200 ccount~300 zxcscount~5000 and so on. File2 ecount~100 dcount~203 ccount~300 zxcscount~5000 and so on. If i use diff command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onesuri
1 Replies
cdc(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cdc(1)

NAME
cdc - change the delta commentary of an SCCS delta SYNOPSIS
SID [mrlist]] [comment]] files DESCRIPTION
The command changes the for the SID specified by the option, of each named SCCS file. is defined to be the Modification Request (MR) and comment information normally specified via the delta(1) command and options). If a directory is named, behaves as if each file in the directory were specified as a named file, except that non-SCCS files (last compo- nent of the path name does not begin with and unreadable files are silently ignored. If a name of is given, the standard input is read (see each line of the standard input is taken to be the name of an SCCS file to be processed. Options Arguments to which can appear in any order, consist of option arguments and file names. All of the described option arguments apply independently to each named file: Used to specify the SCCS IDentification (SID) string of a delta for which the delta commentary is to be changed. If the SCCS file has the option set (see admin(1)), a list of MR numbers to be added and/or deleted in the delta commentary of the SID specified by the option may be supplied. A null MR list has no effect. MR entries are added to the list of MRs in the same manner as that of delta(1). To delete an MR, precede the MR num- ber with the character (see If the MR to be deleted is currently in the list of MRs, it is removed and changed into a "comment" line. A list of all deleted MRs is placed in the comment section of the delta commentary and preceded by a comment line stating that they were deleted. If is not used and the standard input is a terminal, the prompt is issued on the standard output before the standard input is read; if the standard input is not a terminal, no prompt is issued. The prompt always precedes the prompt (see option). MRs in a list are separated by blanks and/or tab characters. An unescaped new-line character terminates the MRs list. Note that if the option has a value (see admin(1)), it is treated as the name of a program (or shell procedure) that validates the correctness of the MR numbers. If a non-zero exit status is returned from the MR number validation program, terminates and the delta commentary remains unchanged. Arbitrary text used to replace the comment or comments already existing for the delta specified by the option. Previous comments are kept and preceded by a comment line stating that they were changed. A null comment has no effect. If is not specified and the standard input is a terminal, the prompt is issued on the standard output before standard input is read; if standard input is not a terminal, no prompt is issued. An unescaped new-line character terminates the comment text. The exact permissions necessary to modify the SCCS file are documented in get(1). Simply stated, they are either: o If you made the delta, you can change its delta commentary, or o If you own the file and directory, you can modify the delta commentary. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. DIAGNOSTICS
Use sccshelp(1) for explanations. EXAMPLES
Add and to the MR list, remove from the MR list, and add the comment to delta 1.6 of The following does the same thing: WARNINGS
If SCCS file names are supplied to the command via the standard input on the command line), the and options must also be used. FILES
x-file See delta(1). z-file See delta(1). SEE ALSO
admin(1), delta(1), get(1), sccshelp(1), prs(1), sccsfile(4), rcsfile(4), acl(5), rcsintro(5). cdc(1)