Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX System V Mount Floppy Drive Post 302832571 by jgt on Monday 15th of July 2013 07:56:31 AM
Old 07-15-2013
I should have checked the manual.
The most common tar files (for SCO anyway) used the raw device, and formatting was all that was required to use the diskette.
So:
#format /dev/dsk/rf0
#tar cvf /dev/dsk/rf0 list_of_files

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to mount a hotswap scsi drive on a solaris 2.6 netra box using the mount command?

Hi... question is this: How do I mount an LVD hotswap scsi drive in bay #2 on a netra using the mount command? volmgt doesn't seem to mount it and/or I don't know how to view the drives data if it's formatted which it may not be. This drive is not new out of the box so I'm not sure. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: soulshaker
4 Replies

2. BSD

Floppy drive problem.

My FreeBSD install at ad0s1, and Windows 2000 at ad2s1. Everytime I start my FreeBSD, it shows me this message: fdc0: cmd 3 failed at out byte 1 of 3 pmtimer 0 on isa0 fdc0: cannot reserve I/O port range (6 ports) My Floppy drive info: 0x03F2 - 0x03F3 0x03F4 - 0x03F5 0x03F7 - 0x03F7... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: _cs
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mount a floppy in UNIX BSDi 3

Anybody know how to mount a floppy in BSDi3 UNIX? Have tried all the standard commands with no luck. This includes: mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy mount /mnt/floppy (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpalmer320
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mount a network computer/drive in unix?

:D hey all, how do you scan/mount a network drive or computer/directory? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emplate
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Floppy will not mount on SUSE

I have installed SUSE 10 on a laptop that has a swappable CDROM/Floppy drive. When I was installing the OS my CDROM was connected. Later I tried to swap it with the Floppy and mount it but no success. Here is what I get: dell:/dev # mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt /dev/fd0: Invalid argument ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reedcat
0 Replies

6. AIX

mount floppy, to be sure

Hi there, I never touch a AIX because i'm used to work on FreeBSD. I'll have to copy some file from a floppy to an AIX. Just to be sure is the mount command the same ? I mean a simple mount /dev/fd0 /floppy should work ? Thanks :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yogz
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mount a windows drive on unix

Hi, I would like to be able to mount windows xp to a unix system, so that I can pull data from windows machine for backup and store it on the unix server. Does anyone know how I can go about mounting the windows drive in unix. Thanks, Eric (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejbrever
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 floppy drive problem

I have inserted a diskette but I don't see the files nor the floppy drive. These are the commands I ran. #volcheck -v #rmformat With rmformat, only the CD-ROM is listed. I don't see any floppy drive. How can I get my floppy drive to work?? I know it is connected b/c when I boot in XP, I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungpow
0 Replies

9. SCO

mounting USB floppy drive /Flash drive in OSR 6.0

Can anybody help me out to mount USB flash /floppy drive in sco openserver 6.0 . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshdrajan
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Mount a Unix share drive on Windows

We are trying to mount a Unix share drive on a Windows 2003 server to avoid transfering files accross the network using sftp. I can see shared drives on the Solaris server using the "share" command. How can I mount the drives on my Windows server so that I can read them directly. Do I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbdenham
2 Replies
pcram(7D)																 pcram(7D)

NAME
pcram - PCMCIA RAM memory card device driver SYNOPSIS
memory@<socket>/pcram@<technology>,0:c memory@<socket>/pcram@<technology>,0:c,raw The PCMCIA RAM memory card device driver supports disk-like I/O access to any standard PCMCIA static random access memory (SRAM) card and dynamic random access memory (DRAM) card. The driver supports standard PCMCIA SRAM/DRAM cards that contain a Card Information Structure (CIS). RAM card densities in the 512Kilobytes to 64Mbyte range are supported. PRECONFIGURATION
If a PC card memory device is recognized, the pcram device driver is automatically loaded, the physical address allocated, and special files created (if they do not already exist). Known Problems and Limitations The Solaris pcmem driver is not capable of handling "combo" memory cards with multiple types of memory on them (for example, combined SRAM and nonvolatile FLASH). Inserting such a card into a system running the Solaris software may cause a system panic. Because the PC card memory device is designed as a pseudo-floppy diskette type, the only utility that can be used for formatting is fdfor- mat(1). CONFIGURATION
Configuration topics include initial installation and configuration, identifying an unrecognized device, special files, using PC card mem- ory devices, and hot-plugging. Initial Installation and Configuration 1. Install the Solaris software. 2. Boot the system. 3. Insert the card. Identifying an Unrecognized Device If you insert a memory device and it is not recognized (no special files created), use the prtconf command. 1. Become root. 2. Run the prtconf -D command to display the configuration recognized by the system. A recognized device will appear in the prtconf out- put. For example: # prtconf -D . . . pcic, instance #0 (driver name: pcic) . . . memory, instance #0 (driver name: pcmem) pcram, instance #0 (driver name: pcram) 3. If your memory device does not appear at the end of the prtconf output, it is not supported and cannot be used with the pcram driver. Special Files The special files created for PC card memory devices act like disks and have names in the form /dev/dsk/c#t#d#p# or /dev/dsk/c#t#d#s#. Abbreviations used in the names are: o c# Controller # o t# Card technology type #, defined as follows: 0 Null--no device 1 ROM 2 OTPROM (One Time PROM) 3 UV EPROM 4 EEPROM 5 Flash EPROM 6 SRAM 7 DRAM o d# Device region of type #, usually zero o p# fdisk partition # o s# Solaris slice # Note - A device name can be specified either by a partition name (p#) or a slice name (s#), but not both. Using PC Card Memory Devices Since the Solaris Volume Management software recognizes PC Card memory devices, no special vold configuration is required. If you do not want to use vold to manage your PC card memory devices, comment out the use pcmem line in the /etc/vold.conf file. To comment out a line, insert a # character at the beginning of the line. PC Card memory devices do not need to have file systems on them, though typically, before using a new PC Card memory card, you will want to create a file system on it. DOS PCFS is the best format to use. (You can use virtually any file system format on a PC card memory card, but most other file system formats are platform-dependent, making them unsuitable for moving data between different types of machines. See "Using a PCMCIA Memory Card" in the OpenWindows Advanced User's Guide.) Note - If you want to redirect the output of a tar command (or dd or cpio) to a PC card memory device, first create a file system on the card, using the fdformat(1) command without arguments. The card must be reformatted before it can be written on again. Hot-Plugging If a memory card is removed while in use, the device driver returns errors until the memory card is inserted into the appropriate socket. Close and reopen the device with the card reinserted, and the memory card will work. o If you remove the card while in use as a file system, unmount the file system using the umount command. Then reinsert the card and remount the file system using the mount command. o If you remove the card and interrupt a tar or cpio process, stop the process, reinsert the card, and restart the process. /kernel/drv/pcram pcram driver /dev/dsk/cntndnsn block files /dev/rdsk/cntndnsn raw fileswhere: cn controller n tn technology type n 0x1ROM,0x2OTPROM,0x3EPROM, 0x4EEPROM,0x5FLASH,0x6SRAM, 0x7DRAM dn technology region in type n sn slice n fdformat(1), pcmcia(7D), dkio(7I), pcmem(7D) 23 Oct 2000 pcram(7D)