Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Self extracting archive for Linux and windows Post 302832283 by cokedude on Sunday 14th of July 2013 04:20:05 AM
Old 07-14-2013
Self extracting archive for Linux and windows

Is there a way to create a self extracting archive that works in both linux and windows? And if so how? Everything I have read on google only works in either Linux or Windows but not both.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux Benchmarks

Original (Archive) Site for Linux Benchmarks

FYI: Here is the archive site for the original Linux benchmarks (1994 - 1996) http://linux.silkroad.com/ Neo (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting from a tar archive file

Can I extract files from an archive file (tar), where the filename includes the full directory path, to a different directory? For example the archive files may have a filename of /SrcFiles/XXX/filename.dat and I want to extract it to /SrcFiles/YYY/filename.dat. Since the archive file was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read specific file from a zip archive without extracting

Hi All, I would like to extract specific file from a zip archive. I have a zip archive "sample.zip". sample.zip contains few text files and images... text1.txt, text2.txt, pic.jpg etc... I need to read specific file "text2.txt" from "sample.zip" WITHOUT EXTRACTING the zip file. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridharg
4 Replies

4. Linux

What's better for running Windows software in Linux, Wine or Windows VMware?

What are the differences, advantages, and disadvantages? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Advice Pro
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting from archive | compressing to new archive

Hi there, I have one huge archive (it's a system image). I need sometime to create smaller archives with only one or two file from my big archive. So I'm looking for a command that extracts files from an archive and pipe them to another one. I tried the following : tar -xzOf oldarchive.tgz... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
5 Replies

6. Linux

Linux make bootable archive

Can anybody suggest me software to backup Linux server and to make them boot able (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Creating and extracting archive file

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi there, I wish to create a single .tar file of the current directory but have literally no idea on where to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Banned
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to archive logs and sftp to another archive server

Requirement: Under fuse application we have placeholders called containers; Every container has their logs under: <container1>/data/log/fuse.log <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.1 <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.XX <container2>/data/log/fuse.log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arjun Goswami
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Seen Windows pc, having all the features of Linux, could exe, read and edit save like windows

Hi, totally new to linux base using windows when started learning and using computers. but i remember that one pc was there , look alike windows desktop, but could not do the task as windows just click and open and view edit etc. But, you could do a little differently even saving in and opening... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jraju
8 Replies
UNZIP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  UNZIP(1)

NAME
unzip -- extract files from a ZIP archive SYNOPSIS
unzip [-aCcfjLlnopqtuvy] [-d dir] [-x pattern] zipfile DESCRIPTION
The following options are available: -a When extracting a text file, convert DOS-style line endings to Unix-style line endings. -C Match file names case-insensitively. -c Extract to stdout/screen. When extracting files from the zipfile, they are written to stdout. This is similar to -p, but doesn't suppress normal output. -d dir Extract files into the specified directory rather than the current directory. -f Update existing. Extract only files from the zipfile if a file with the same name already exists on disk and is older than the former. Otherwise, the file is silently skipped. -j Ignore directories stored in the zipfile; instead, extract all files directly into the extraction directory. -L Convert the names of the extracted files and directories to lowercase. -l List, rather than extract, the contents of the zipfile. -n No overwrite. When extracting a file from the zipfile, if a file with the same name already exists on disk, the file is silently skipped. -o Overwrite. When extracting a file from the zipfile, if a file with the same name already exists on disk, the existing file is replaced with the file from the zipfile. -p Extract to stdout. When extracting files from the zipfile, they are written to stdout. The normal output is suppressed as if -q was specified. -q Quiet: print less information while extracting. -t Test: do not extract anything, but verify the checksum of every file in the archive. -u Update. When extracting a file from the zipfile, if a file with the same name already exists on disk, the existing file is replaced with the file from the zipfile if and only if the latter is newer than the former. Otherwise, the file is silently skipped. -v List verbosely, rather than extract, the contents of the zipfile. This differs from -l by using the long listing. Note that most of the data is currently fake and does not reflect the content of the archive. -x pattern Exclude files matching the pattern pattern. -y Print four digit years in listings instead of two. Note that only one of -n, -o, and -u may be specified. ENVIRONMENT
If the UNZIP_DEBUG environment variable is defined, the -q command-line option has no effect, and additional debugging information will be printed to stderr. COMPATIBILITY
The unzip utility aims to be sufficiently compatible with other implementations to serve as a drop-in replacement in the context of the pkgsrc(7) system. No attempt has been made to replicate functionality which is not required for that purpose. For compatibility reasons, command-line options will be recognized if they are listed not only before but also after the name of the zipfile. Normally, the -a option should only affect files which are marked as text files in the zipfile's central directory. Since the archive(3) library reads zipfiles sequentially, and does not use the central directory, that information is not available to the unzip utility. Instead, the unzip utility will assume that a file is a text file if no non-ASCII characters are present within the first block of data decompressed for that file. If non-ASCII characters appear in subsequent blocks of data, a warning will be issued. The unzip utility is only able to process ZIP archives handled by libarchive(3). Depending on the installed version of libarchive(3), this may or may not include self-extracting archives. SEE ALSO
libarchive(3) HISTORY
The unzip utility appeared in NetBSD 6.0. AUTHORS
The unzip utility and this manual page were written by Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@FreeBSD.org>. It uses the archive(3) library developed by Tim Kientzle <kientzle@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The unzip utility currently does not support asking the user whether to overwrite or skip a file that already exists on disk. To be on the safe side, it will fail if it encounters a file that already exists and neither the -n nor the -o command line option was specified. BSD
August 18, 2011 BSD