Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Defining LV's with the Interpolicy Maximum option Post 302831723 by bakunin on Thursday 11th of July 2013 02:58:10 PM
Old 07-11-2013
Thank you for your follow-up and explanation. We enjoy getting feedback like this and enhance our own knowledge by getting to know what worked, what didn't and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariza
In our case when it comes to achieve better performance for databases we try to avoid double buffering by bypassing the filesystem cache hence making the filesystem cache smaller and that extra memory can be allocated by the Oracle SGA.
...which in turn uses this extra memory for cache, LOL. Still, i suppose the Oracle database knows better than the OS how its own data can be cached most effectively, so taking from the OS and giving to the database makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariza
On AIX we rely heavily on Concurrent I/O. Once Concurrent I/O is on Direct reads/writes are mostly used by the database and locking issues caused by inode locking on a heavily updated systems are a thing of the past. Having said this we have seen performance improvements by allocating different LUN's sizes (33/100/500 Gigs) depending on the system (OLTP,DSS) and adjusting QDEPTH. We have seen single LUN achieve more than 3000 IOPS. We'll be performing Performance and Volume test and it would be insteresting to see the results using different types of secenarios.
I for my part (and most probably all of my colleagues here) would be very interested in these performance tests. PLEASE post them, we'd be eternally grateful and perhaps eager to discuss them in-depth. Whatever you may need for this, just ask me or zaxxon (we are the AIX people in the team, any other staff member will help you too, of course) and we will be glad to help.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Defining Variables

I'm trying to define a variable named sin I already have a variable named cos, which has the value "hello" I want sin to have the value of "hellothere", so sin would be something like sin = $cos & "there" but I'm not sure that I know the syntax. Can anyone help? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sailorliones
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

option followed by : taking next option if argument missing with getopts

Hi all, I am parsing command line options using getopts. The problem is that mandatory argument options following ":" is taking next option as argument if it is not followed by any argument. Below is the script: while getopts :hd:t:s:l:p:f: opt do case "$opt" in -h|-\?)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurukottur
2 Replies

3. AIX

defining a printer in qconfig

I've got a modified samba script (named it winprint) that I can use to print out to a to a shared Win Network printer from an AIX machine. This is a modification of the samba provided smbprint script changed to work under AIX as the backend for a queue. It does not read a config file I can print... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: matheeq
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

defining variables

Hey all, I was wondering if someone would take a look at this script I'm working on. I don't know if i have the syntax correct for my variables and if the for loop is written correctly. any assistance would be greatly appreciated. #!/usr/bin/bash ###########################################... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
12 Replies

5. Programming

Defining the inputStream object

Question regarding extend issue What is the reason behind defining the inputStream object in this way... InputStream inputStream = new FileInputStream("c:\\input.txt"); I know that FileInputStream extends InputStream, is there anything else ? I mean we could have define it like ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

defining variable in .profile

In root dir i have created a .profile file and added variable and assigned a path to it: a = '/dir/dir' export a but when i echo (echo $a) the path or use this variable the value or path not getting displayed. i tried executing the .profile and logging out and logging in, didnt workout. am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi_n123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

recently introduced to the newer option for find...does an older option exist?

To find all the files in your home directory that have been edited in some way since the last tar file, use this command: find . -newer backup.tar.gz Is anyone familiar with an older solution? looking to identify files older then 15mins across several directories. thanks, manny (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Defining an alias FreeBSD

I have defined this alias as quick way to find out which mount point to use for a USB drive after inserting it: # alias da='dmesg | grep da | grep MB' However, when invoking it, it states the following: # da da: Command not found. Can someone explain what is the issue here and how it can be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with defining PATH

Hi All, I have a trivial question but I dont know how to solve it. So basically I'm working on a USB key and I have a directory with some scripts which I use to work on files present in other directories within the USB or sometimes on the main harddisk too. The problem is every time I have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
3 Replies

10. Programming

Problem defining a struct

I have the following code and getting the compilation errors baseLib/DynBaseObj.h:80: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(' token baseLib/DynBaseObj.h:89: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(' token baseLib/DynBaseObj.h:101:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies
pcdindex(1)						      General Commands Manual						       pcdindex(1)

NAME
pcdindex - create index image for a photo CD SYNOPSIS
pcdindex [-m width] [-s size] [-a across] [-c colors] [-f font] [-b|-w] [pcdfile] DESCRIPTION
This program generates an index image for a photo CD, based on the photo CD overview file. You can achieve a similar result with hpcdtoppm -Overview followed by pnmindex -black on the generated PPM images. OPTIONS
-wwidth Maximum width of the result image (default: 1152). -ssize Maximum size of each of the images (default: 192). -aacross Maximum number of images across (default: 6). -ccolors Maximum number of colors, or n to mean no quantization -ffont Font to be used for annotation (default: internal font). -b Black background color (default). -w White background color. EXAMPLES
pcdindex -m 768 -s 96 -f smallfont.pbm overview.pcd > overview.ppm pcdindex /cdrom/photo_cd/overview.pcd | ppmtojpeg > overview.jpg SEE ALSO
hpcdtoppm(1), pnmindex(1), ppmtojpeg(1), ppm(5) 11 September 2000 pcdindex(1)