Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming The fwrite function is not returning error, if the file was removed. Post 302831641 by Don Cragun on Thursday 11th of July 2013 10:56:26 AM
Old 07-11-2013
The file no longer has any links in the filesystem, but the file still exists until your application closes the file. (Note that exiting the process closes the file even if you don't explicitly call fclose().) You can see when this happens by checking the link count on the file (as shown in the following example). Obviously, you should add error checking to the fstat() call, but this should work for demonstration purposes:
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>

int main(void) {
        int             cnt = 10;
        int             count;
        int             index;
        FILE            *fp;
        char            message[50] = "writing to example file";
        struct stat     sbuf;

fp = fopen("example","a");

if (fp == NULL) {
                printf("opening file example failed\n");
                exit(01);
        }
        for (index = 0;index <= cnt;index++) {
                count = fwrite(message,sizeof(message),1,fp);
                fflush(fp);
                if (count != 1) {
                        printf("Error writing to file example\n");
                } else {
                        printf("data written to file example successfully\n");
                }
                fstat(fileno(fp), &sbuf);
                printf("Links to example: %d\n", sbuf.st_nlink);

sleep(20);
        }
        fclose(fp);
        return(00);
}

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

string returning function

I have two string returning function in ESQL/C char *segment_name(lbuffer) char *lbuffer; {..... and char *get_bpdvalue(f_name) char *f_name; {...... both declared above main() char *get_bpdvalue(); char *segment_name(); my problem is segment_name works on sprintf and strcpy... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisc
5 Replies

2. Programming

create a thread from a returning function

hi all, my requirement is to create a thread by calling another function. i.e i dont call pthread_create directly from main, but by calling another function (createThd - below ), from main. Example: void *thread_function(void *arg) { /* thread function */ int i; rc =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolwy_pete
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

returning from a function

Hi all, I am very new to BASH shell programming. I need to return an integer from a function to the caller function. I did this: but it keeps giving me wrong return: Can someone help me out here, please? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

4. Programming

returning multiple values from a function in C

hi how can I return multiple values from a C function. I tried the following: #include <stdio.h> void foo(int id, char *first_name, char *last_name) { /* this is just an example to illustrate my problem... real code makes use of the "id" parameter. */ first_name = (char... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrewkl
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning the name of function used

Hi All In my script, I can call on several functions. I have a logging function that is called by any of these functions. What I would like is some way of identifying which function I am using and pass this to the log function as some parameter. Is there some built in command or way of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpin2502
3 Replies

6. Programming

segmentation fault in fwrite function

Hi, my code is written in proC and it is in UNIX(AIX).I have written a small code for writing data into a binary file,but while writing my program is giving core dump. Here Is my code---- fpWriteFile = fopen(WriteFileName,"wb+"); CHAR *recvgen; recvgen = (char... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
7 Replies

7. Programming

segmentation fault while returning from function.

I am working on the application in which I have to fetch values from the database and paste in url and send it to portal. table=get_result("SELECT serialno,cas,Mode,FLC,TLC,location,CompName,CompCode,FG,FC,DispNo,TruckNo,LWbill,RRGPN,INVNO,DCN,RQTY,DQTY,SQTY,DDATE,RDATE,SDATE,TTIME FROM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: er.rohan88
1 Replies

8. Programming

Function Returning Pointer

Hi guys. how a functions such fdopen, ... can return pointer? are these functions use static memory(variables)? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error removed from file

Below is a flowchart of a program. Most everything works as expected, but there are a couple of issues that I need some expert help on. The check function was setup initially for a single user input. The input has been modified to allow for multiple inputs, so the code below does not work. My... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
15 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell equivalent of matlab fwrite function

I have some matlab code that sends the serial port elements of an array using matlab's fwrite function, e.g.: fwrite(s, , 'uchar'); What would be a unix shell equivalent? E.g., after successfully accessing the port using instructions here: Simple terminal serial port program for Linux/MacOSX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darwin_886
3 Replies
xpc_array_create(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 				       xpc_array_create(3)

NAME
xpc_array_create -- creation and management of XPC arrays SYNOPSIS
#include <xpc/xpc.h> xpc_object_t xpc_array_create(const xpc_object_t *objects, size_t count); void xpc_array_set_value(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, xpc_object_t value); void xpc_array_append_value(xpc_object_t array, xpc_object_t value); xpc_object_t xpc_array_get_value(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); size_t xpc_array_get_count(xpc_object_t array); bool xpc_array_apply(xpc_object_t array, xpc_array_applier_t applier); void xpc_array_set_bool(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, bool value); void xpc_array_set_int64(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, int64_t value); void xpc_array_set_uint64(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, uint64_t value); void xpc_array_set_double(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, double value); void xpc_array_set_date(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, int64_t value); void xpc_array_set_data(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, const void *bytes, size_t length); void xpc_array_set_string(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, const char *value); void xpc_array_set_uuid(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, const uuid_t value); void xpc_array_set_fd(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, int value); void xpc_array_set_connection(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, xpc_connection_t value); bool xpc_array_get_bool(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); int64_t xpc_array_get_int64(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); uint64_t xpc_array_get_uint64(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); double xpc_array_get_double(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); int64_t xpc_array_get_date(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); const void * xpc_array_get_data(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, size_t *length); const uint8_t * xpc_array_get_uuid(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); const char * xpc_array_get_string(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); int xpc_array_get_fd(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); xpc_connection_t xpc_array_get_connection(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); ARRAYS
XPC arrays are collections of XPC objects ordered by index. The index is zero-based. XPC arrays are contiguous, and values must exist at all indexes between zero and the greatest index of the array. A hole in the array can be simulated by using a null object as returned by xpc_null_create(3). CREATION
The xpc_array_create() function returns a newly created array. The caller may optionally provide objects, a C array of XPC object references, to initialize the array. The count is used to specify the size of the C array. If objects is NULL, then count must be zero. If count speci- fies more elements than are actually present in values or if values is NULL and count is non-zero, the behavior is undefined. GETTING AND SETTING VALUES
The xpc_array_append_value() function may be used to append a value to the end of an array. This operation increases the count of the values in the array by one. The value of a specific index in the array may be set using the xpc_array_set_value() function. The value must be non-NULL, and the index must already exist (i.e. less than the count provided at creation or extended through previous append operations). The value at a specific index of an array may be retrieved using the xpc_array_get_value() function. The result of getting a non-existing index (i.e. one that was not specified at creation or through a previous append operation) in undefined. PRIMITIVE GET AND SET FUNCTIONS
Various functions exist for retrieving primitive C and operating system types directly from an array without the need for an intermediate boxed object. See xpc_object(3) for more information. The special XPC_ARRAY_APPEND constant may be used to append a value to the end of the array instead of operating on a specific index. SEE ALSO
xpc_object(3), xpc_objects(3), xpc_dictionary_create(3) Darwin 1 July, 2011 Darwin