Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to redirect 'crontab' output to a variable? Post 302830897 by mjavalkar on Tuesday 9th of July 2013 05:08:12 PM
Old 07-09-2013
It worked. Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect command output to variable

Hi, I am looking for a way to redirect the result from a command into a variable. This is the scenario. Using the find command I will be getting multiple records/lines back. Here is the command I am using: find /”path”/ -name nohup.out -print This now is giving me the paths and file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hugow
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Output In Variable

how make assign the output of the command (for example: grep "file" "string" ) in a variable ($name)? i thing how put the result of the command (grep , cut, find ecc) in a variable.. IT's Possible ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk redirect output to shell variable

I'm trying to redirect awk's output to a BASH variable. Currently the statement looks like this options=`awk '{ while (i < NF) { print $i; ++i } }' answer but for some reason that makes $options look like this: 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 Now, the input file 'answer' is taken from a dialog... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhinge
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect output

Hi all, I have a script which call a java program, the logging (to log file) in the program is done using log4j. However, as a safety measure, i still choose to direct standard error to another log file as follow /usr/bin/java -classpath ${classpath} -Xmx128m TestingProgram 2>>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect the grep output into the variable

i want to redirect the grep output into the variable but i am not able to get it i tried veri=`grep -i $1 "${logdir}"* | grep -i adding | grep -iv equation | tail -1 | cut -d ':' -f 1` vari=$(grep -i $1 "${logdir}"* | grep -i adding | grep -iv equation | tail -1 | cut -d ':' -f 1) BUT NOT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect Output

Hi, I would like to list files: ls *.hdf But I would like a copy of the output directed to the screen, but also APPENDED to a text file: test.txt I have tried: ls *.hdf | tee test.txt However, that will just write over everything already existing in test.txt. How can I append the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect output from SQL to unix variable

Hi, I have a requirement to store oracle sqlplus output to some unix variable, count the records and then print the output on the screen. Can you please point me to any sample program for reference purpose. Thanks a lot for your time. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhupinder08
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to mail monitoring output if required or redirect output to log file

Below script perfectly works, giving below mail output. BUT, I want to make the script mail only if there are any D-Defined/T-Transition/B-Broken State WPARs and also to copy the output generated during monitoring to a temporary log file, which gets cleaned up every week. Need suggestions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect output of a command to a variable during ftp mode?

Hi, How can I redirect the output of a following command to a variable. ftp myservername ftp> user (username) guptaji 331 Password required for guptaji. Password: ftp> size /home/salil/abc.dat ftp> a='size /home/salil/abc.dat' ?Invalid command I want to redirect value of size to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Salil Gupta
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect script output to a file and mail the output

Hi Guys, I want to redirect the output of 3 scripts to a file and then mail the output of those three scripts. I used below but it is not working: OFILE=/home/home1/report1 echo "report1 details" > $OFILE =/home/home1/1.sh > $OFILE echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
7 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - daemon to execute scheduled commands (Vixie Cron) SYNOPSIS
cron DESCRIPTION
Cron should be started from /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local. It will return immediately, so you don't need to start it with '&'. Cron searches /var/spool/cron for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd; crontabs found are loaded into memory. Cron also searches for /etc/crontab and the files in the /etc/cron.d/ directory, which are in a different format (see crontab(5)). Cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When execut- ing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 20 December 1993 CRON(8)